'Summer Rates' for 400N Tariff

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
candalaria

'Summer Rates' for 400N Tariff

Postby candalaria » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:30 pm

I am moving from NYC to Tacoma, Washington in June. I have gotten 3 quotes from movers: Approved (NorthAmerican), Graebel, & Molloy Brothers (Mayflower). The Molloy quote is the lowest, but the salesperson said that it did not reflect the forthcoming rate change in the 400N Tariff for the summer. He did write that on the bottom of the quote. He said that the other guys quotes also did not reflect the summer rate, since it hadn't come out yet. He did say we could call to get the new rate and they would recalculate the quote for me. He estimtated that rate would increase by about 10%

Has anyone every heard of the Tariff changing for summer? In general, I've heard good things about Molloy, but I am worried that I'm setting myself up for a ripoff regarding this rate change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Candalaria

MusicMom

Re: 'Summer Rates' for 400N Tariff

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Wait, you got quotes in March for a move in June? I'm surprised they came out so early.

There will be a rate change for summer, but as I'm not a pro, I don't know what it is. Supply and demand.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 pm

may 15 there will be a general rate increase and i forgot exactly how much it is i think its 3.75 but im sure someone will correct me...however it will be offset by the new fuel surcharge matrix which raises the point of a surcharge being implemented from the current 1.45 a gallon to 1.95 a gallon..put into laymans terms todays 10% fuel surcharge will be reduced to 3% on may 15..also some items are being"rolled" into the tariff...extra pick ups and deliveries,mini storage loading and delivery fees are among some of them...

The Moving Concierge

Postby The Moving Concierge » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:46 am

I'm not sure your fuel surcharge is correct. Here is the official fuel surcharge chart from the AMSA website. It lists fuel at 9% effective 3/15 and I can't see it going down for summer.

I haven't gotten my info on the 400n updates yet. I may come back to post when I do. Good luck.

BTW: the original poster would probably need to be requoted anyway since most quotes are good for only 60 days unsigned anyway. If you find a good mover, sign early and lock in the current pricing...or don't.
Free, honest advice from a retired moving broker: http://twitter.com/movingconcierge

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:18 am

my figures may be off but a bit but it is going to be drastically reduced may 15....it was just passed last month by amsa

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:14 am

Candelaria,

Please check out what has been said here about movers in your area by clicking on the link below my name and scrolling down to "New York City" and "New York (Long Island)." The three companies you are considering do not have the best remarks and reviews here. Price isn't everything.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Also keep in mind that movers have what they call peak season rates. So once the new tariff rates hit then you could also see an increase if you move during the first and last week of each month, May through Sept. Each agent should be able to tell you if they apply peak rates or not. What this simply means is they are limited to the amount of discount they can give you off the tariff rates. Usually by April the agents have from Corporate when and where the peak rates apply and the max discounts.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Auri

Postby Auri » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:12 pm

Also since most movers work off discounts based on percentages....for instance, your 2500lb move on 0% might cost $4500. But most movers give 50-65% discounts. In summer, they usually decrease these discounts since more people move and will pay more in summer time.
Industry Professional in Chicago

weem

Postby weem » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Play the calender game-
1) Get 3 "not to exceed estimates now---(suggest you get an Allied agent estimate as well)
2)As soon, and I mean as soon as you get within 60 days of your load date, have all your estimates updated--making sure they are not-to exceed and book your move right then with the mover of your choice.
3)30 days later--no more than 30 days-call the movers that you did not choose and have them update their respective estimates. If you see a downward trend in pricing, renegotiate with ALL companies IF THEY HAVE AVAILABILITY TO MOVE YOU ON YOUR LOAD DATES ONLY.

The reason that you play this game is that the van lines are SOMETIMES too optimistic as to the expected moving demand-----on the other hand the van lines tighten pricing if business is really good.

This way you have yourself covered for either eventuality. The estimators should not have to come out a second time and the final prices are predicated on national van line discount policy.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:02 pm

Gee thats nice, teach people how to work the system and squeeze little more blood out of the turnip. Then when their move goes uncovered for being too low of revenue, teach them how to file complaints and inconvenience claims too.

weem

Postby weem » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:21 pm

It's called competition.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am

That's what Jimmy Carter said when he de-regulated the airlines, and look where that got us.

candalaria

Postby candalaria » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Thanks to all who posted. My move will be the last week of May, so that's probably why they agreed to come out. Thanks, Diane, for pointing me to that state summary, some how I missed it originally. I am now going to have Dahill come out as well for an estimate. We were leaning towards Molloy, not so much because they were the cheapest, but because Approved's estimator was a little sketchy for lack of a better word. We really liked Graebel (friends have used them multiple times), but they have a 5000lb min. in the summer and we will probably have just under that.

Thanks again, I will keep posting regarding the move.

Candalaria

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Thats definitely peak season time so be sure to ask if peak season rates apply or are considered in the quote given to you.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi - could you tell me which office of Graebel sent the estimator (location) so I can add it to my Superlist linked to below? BTW the fact that they have a 5000-pound minimum in the summer doesn't mean that you can't use them. You just have to pay for 5000 pounds even if you have less.

Also, since both Molloy and Dahill are Mayflower their quotes should be similar.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”