*Moving from St. Louis, MO to Bay Area, California

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
STLtoSF

*Moving from St. Louis, MO to Bay Area, California

Postby STLtoSF » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:47 pm

I am moving in May from St. Louis to San Francisco. I will not actually be moving into a new apartment in San Francisco until September, so I plan on putting my items in storage in the Santa Cruz area until then.

I have started looking at movers and am having trouble deciphering. Does anyone recommend any particular companies? I have requested a quote from Moovers, Inc. My employer is only paying $1500 of the move, so I want to keep the cost as low as possible and hopefully not too much over that amount. They do usually use Nor-cal/Allied and gave me their contact information to get a quote. However, I feel like they have such awful reviews on this website.

Does anyone have an recommendations for how I should proceed? I have a small one bedroom apartment and need movers who will load the truck, so I can't use one of the u-pack, we move companies.

Thanks,
Olivia

ArchieWhite

Re: Moving from St. Louis, MO to Bay Area, California

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:59 pm

St.Louis is the home of the largest van lines in the world, Unigroup, parent company of United and Mayflower, and has multiple agents of each, so you can't go wrong with them. Call any of them for a free, no cost, no obligation price quote.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Archie is correct. Here's a link to reviews for your area, though there aren't many:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7655#57655

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:05 pm

I would recommend contacting Locatelli Moving and Storage, United van lines in Santa Cruz. Their number is 800-486-7775. I have personally used them numerous times over the past 14 years and they have always provided terrific service.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks AZ!

STLtoSF

Re: *Moving from St. Louis, MO to Bay Area, California

Postby STLtoSF » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:14 pm

Thank you very much for the helpful information!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks, az ops man, for your good endorsement. Olivia, you could use a United agent in St. Louis as your origin agent and ask them to use Locatelli as the destination agent where your things would be stored. Chances are they might think of this on their own anyway.

If the cost with a full-service mover is too high for your budget, you could consider using one or two ABF ReloCubes that could be stored for $125/month each at an ABF terminal until you need your things. You can get a quote at www.upack.com. You can find people to load and unload the ReloCubes by looking for a high-rated company from www.eMove.com.

STLtoSF

Postby STLtoSF » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Now that I have several moving quotes. How negotiable are they? Should I assume that I can talk them down 10% at least? Are they fixed? I know I can use the quotes against each other, but I also want to just know how much I should work the negotiation. Thanks for any info you all can offer.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 pm

They have probably all factored in the highest discount levels as possible for your region or area. You can post the information you have received for us to review with you if you like. If you are moving before the end of May and your weight is 2100 pounds or more you have probably received discounts ranging from at least 54-62%. Based upon your weight and your actual move date this may be somewhat negotiable - but not many sales reps play with the discounts. They usually know within a percent or two what there competitors are allowing.

$1500 for a long distance move is not much of an allowance, so I understand your need for cost savings. Storage is costly as well. You have a few options on storage which I'm sure you have been advised on. If not, let us know and we can talk with you about the pros and cons of carrier storage (storage-in-transit) vs. self storage.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Return to “Open Community”