moovers inc vs mayflower affiliate in LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jenwitz

moovers inc vs mayflower affiliate in LA

Postby jenwitz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:00 am

I would like to thank you first of all for the wealth of information and feedback offered on this website. This has been an invaluable resource as we plan our move from LA to Philly. I do have one more question that I would like to receive feedback on, well more accurately 2.

I am deciding between Mayflower (American Relocation and Logistics) in LA or Moovers, Inc. To me, they seem to be pretty equal as far as the services offered, although Moovers Inc does seem to personalize a little more. Can someone clarify for me the primary differences and what I need to consider making this decision?

Also - does anyone have experience using the Mayflower affiliate American Relocation and Logistics?

Thank you so much
Jennifer

farrah7031

Re: moovers inc vs mayflower affiliate in LA

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:23 am

We have no mention of American Relocation. There's probably better Mayflower agents in your area.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7573#57573

I also would check out Andy's Transfer (North American), they have Rave reviews here.

There's probably not much difference between Moovers and a major van line, in my opinion. They both would perform well for you. I'm sure there will be others that disagree. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:09 pm

jenwitz wrote:I am deciding between Mayflower (American Relocation and Logistics) in LA or Moovers, Inc. To me, they seem to be pretty equal as far as the services offered, although Moovers Inc does seem to personalize a little more. Can someone clarify for me the primary differences and what I need to consider making this decision?

Differences:

1. American Relocation (MC #600257) has 23 BBB complaints over the past 36 months and Moovers has zero.

2. American Relo has no reviews on this website and Moovers has more than 50 mostly rave reviews.

3. With Moovers your goods would be delivered by the same truck and driver that pick them up, which would minimize the chance of damage or delay. With American Relo this might or might not be the case. A van line driver would probably transport the goods to Philadelphia, but it is not certain that he/she would pick up the goods directly from your residence. They might be taken to American Relo's warehouse instead to wait for the arrival of a van line driver.

4. We on MovingScam know the people who are running Moovers. We do not know the people who are running American Relo.

5. Judging from past experience, your final cost is likely to be slightly lower with Moovers than with American Relo since van line agents have extra costs that they pass on to customers.

6. American Relo has a horrible review on Epinions:
http://www.epinions.com/content_1446081 ... id=8003929

Finally, according to www.safersys.org, American Relo is licensed to move general freight, new furniture, and cars but not used household goods. This might be OK if it is using Mayflower's authority to move household goods interstate, but it does raise questions that should be answered before you use them.

jswade

Postby jswade » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 am

We used a major vanline to move from Phoenix to Memphis and they lost our stuff, broke things and had a horrid attitude.
We used Moovers to move back to Phoenix and the same fellow who was there for loading, was there for unloading. We know our stuff never left his truck nor was it unlocked. Their attitude was super. They took care of our stuff and made us feel very secure.
If the costs are the same, I would go with Moovers.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:56 am

5. Judging from past experience, your final cost is likely to be slightly lower with Moovers than with American Relo since van line agents have extra costs that they pass on to customers.

Just out of curiosity what are these extra cost that van line agents have that they pass along to their customers that moovers doesnt, considering they use the same tariff?????
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:12 am

The percent that they have to pay to the van line.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:14 am

Diane,

We all use the same tariff with the same discounts. Moovers is just pocketing more of the percentage. There is no upcharge to use an agent of a van line, the monies the customer pays are just divided more.

Moovers is the same price as van line agents, on all the estimates I have seen.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:29 am

Good point, Nancy. I should have said that because Moovers doesn't have to give a percentage to the van line, they are sometimes able to give a higher discount to the customer than the van line agents do. I agree that the price difference - if one exists - is not usually very large.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 am

Diane,

There are only so many ways to split a dollar. Yes, van lines do make a commission off the linehaul dollars that agents book. They also perform a function for those monies. They maintain licenses in 48 states, they process revenue, claims, perform dispatch, provide customer service, train labor, pay insurance, market the brand, issue pricing rules of engagement, etc.

In Moovers case, they do all of that in house. The common business plan that has worked for years is a van line and agent network. It's sometimes talked badly about here, like the van line sits back and takes customers monies. Therefore an independent is "better". These van lines wouldn't be in business if this core business plan didn't work.

For many local agents, they couldn't perform all of those functions, nor do they want to. A van line enables local companies to book and haul MUCH more than they could as an independent. We have much more capacity to book than Moovers does.

Guess I just feel a need to defend the business model that works for 95% of the moving industry. It's not a bad way to do business.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:21 am

The van line system is certainly not all bad. At the beginning, according to what I understand, there were no van lines. But the independent companies like Von Paris saw that they had to have affiliates in other states in order to service a wider area. I think I remember reading that the name "United Van Lines" actually arose out of this need to be united.

Although the van line system has many advantages, I also think it has some weaknesses, especially in the area of too much bureaucracy and divided responsibility for the customer's things. People who used to work in the industry have posted that the latter fosters a "blame the other guy" attitude in some cases.

That said, I believe that it's a rare independent company that can actually manage to function well on a national basis. I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Moovers that they don't have a truck breakdown halfway across the country or some such disaster. So far they have been fortunate. I think their company has excelled because they have a cadre of extremely motivated guys who have known each other for years if not decades. They know that just one misstep by one person could bring everybody down.

Most independents face difficulties when they try to go national - they may not have good unloading labor at delivery, they may take a long time to deliver while they try to fill the truck, they may have to charge more to cover the cost of deadheading back, etc. I personally would never say that it's always better to use an independent company than a van line agent for a long-distance move. It depends on the particular independent company and on the capabilities of the van line agent.

Return to “Open Community”