Chicago to Southern California, is insurance necessary?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
millsco

Chicago to Southern California, is insurance necessary?

Postby millsco » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm moving from Chicago to Southern California--zip 60402 to 92324.

I've had 3 in-home estimates--all full pack:

Berger (Allied), estimated 11,900 lbs...$8915.29 + $539 (insurance)

All Chicagoland (United), same weight 11,900, $8254 + $645

Prager (North American), est 12,500 lb, $9060 + $200

All seemed professisonal and are on the super list here.

Any thoughts on the numbers?

How important is insurance? Most of our stuff is old and a nick here or there won't matter. The United agent said their claim average is 1% and he did not think it was imperative to buy.

Homeowner's will cover catastrophic loss, and it is hard to imagine United will damage $1K worth of stuff.

Thanks for any input.

ArchieWhite

Re: Chicago to Southern California, is insurance necessary?

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Tough call......Usually homeowners won't cover it if you hire a pro, better double check that. But if you take no coverage, you only have $7200 worth of coverage ( 12,000 lbs @ .60) can you replace everything you own for that amount? If not, consider taking out some, with a deductible, if you don't want to pay full freight. Lots of things can happen in that 2200 miles that used to be Route 66.
And its really not insurance, it's valuation, don't ask me why.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 pm

All Chicagoland is on the Superlist, yes, but with a "Caution" symbol in front of its name because of reviews and comments here. Are you sure you want to take a chance? Armstrong or Planes would likely be a better choice as a United agent. Since a full pack is involved, you want to be sure that you get a good packing crew.

Your catastrophic coverage under your homeowner's will not only cover you, it will be duplicated by the moving company's own insurance, so nothing to worry about there. With regard to coverage for breakage and rubs, I personally think you could skip the additional valuation if you go with one of the better Chicago companies, such as Prager, Armstrong, or Planes.

You don't say whether you have GNTE estimates or Binding estimates. Make sure that you don't just have Nonbinding estimates.
Last edited by Diane on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Diane; your second paragraph worries me, what are you talking about? There is no difference between the 'movers catastropic coverage' and what the shipper declares......there is only one coverage, the one the customer picks......if that truck runs off the edge of the grand canyon, the mover is only responsible for whatever the shipper declared......the only exception is property damage...if we ruin a floor, we have to fix it, there is not deductible or 1.25 of FVP for property, but for the cargo, we are responsible for only what the shipper declares....this has come up many times, and even with an occassional lawyer hinted negligence situations, the carrier is responsible for what the paperwork says. Maybe I misunderstood your comment, if so correct me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that both homeowner's and cargo insurance cover the customer against catastrophes such as fire, collision, and theft of the entire trailer, and that such coverage is independent of what value may have been placed on the shipment by the customer for "valuation" purposes. The customer would have to submit documentation of the amount of the loss, of course (after the fact). Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will come along to comment. I admit that I am going primarily by what I have seen happen with the freight companies ABF and Broadway Express. In the very rare instance where there has been a collision or fire, both the homeowner's and the cargo insurance have kicked in to pay the claim and the customer has been made whole. I assumed that the same would be true for full-service movers.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Here's my two cents:

Do you purchase homeowners insurance? Do you have insurance on yourself? Do you have automobile coverage? Do you have coverage on your kids, etc???

Although accidents happen, people always seem to think it will never happen to them. Do you wreck your car everyday? Are you in the ER every other week? The answer is no, but yet you have coverage for that one time it does happen.

I agree with Archie, if you really dont want to spend a lot on valuation, then go with the hgihest deductible available to you from the mover.

Always, always plan for the worst, expect the best.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:55 pm

Diane; It hasn't happened in years, knock on wood, but my understanding, and I am not an expert either, is that whatever valuation the shipper declares, is what the real mover is responsible for, nothing else. Big claim or small, you select the coverage you want before the truck loads, then you are stuck with that until the end. I can't speak for BE,ABF,MOOVERS, I'm not sure they have to follow the same consumer protection rules we follow.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:02 pm

It would be good to get this clarified, but in any case the person who started this thread says that he has homeowner's insurance that will cover him against catastrophic loss, regardless of whether cargo insurance follows the same rules.

What I took him to be asking about was coverage for negligent damage (breakage and dings) - whether he needs to buy extra beyond the basic coverage.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:09 pm

He should confirm that with his insurance carrier. In my experience, that would apply if you were moving yourself, but if you hired a pro, you were NOT covered for anything, but there could be exceptions. If insurance companies covered your goods while not in your possession, everybody would do it that way, but it ain't happening. bottom line, if you got $50,000 worth of stuff, you better take out $50,000 worth of coverage, unless you are a gambler.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:35 pm

Most home owners only cover people if there is a fire, theft or the truck wrecks. Now what I dont know is if that only applies for moving locally or cross country. And on alot of occassions I have only known State Farm to cover people for their moves no matter what happened or who was at fault. I know USAA only covers for fire, theft, or accident.
Michael

millsco

Postby millsco » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 pm

I've got USAA homeowners, spoke to them earlier and they said they covered the catastrophic losses mentioned above.

If anyone knows, I'd like to know how often claims are filed. Quite honestly, I'm not going to sweat a few scratches (i've got 2 toddlers who have already attacked some furniture with screw drivers) unless it really mars the appearence of the piece. I'm just debating if it is worth the extra 500-1000 dollars for the $0 deductible policy.

Thanks for your input.

Also, a question about referral discounts--one of the companies may give me a discount because a friend used one of their affiliates. Is it common for there to be referral discounts, and can one just ask for this?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:55 am

Every company that uses the 400N tariff gives a discount, unless the move is very very small. So dont let them play it off like your getting something special. Cause your not.

I have seen companies claim they give elderly discounts, when in fact they are just giving them a discount they would give to anyone else. And if you dont know any better then you think your getting something special from them when in fact your getting the same thing as the next guy.

Your discounts during the summer will range from 50% to 62%. Some may be slightly higher depending on the weight of the shipment, how desperate the mover is and if they can self haul the shipment themselves.

The difference with a National Account and a COD is a National Account will bring you more continuous business and a COD is a one time shot. National Accounts will have competitive discounts, sometimes higher then a COD. With a national account you get free valuation, generally up to $75,000 depending on the account, sometimes more. With a national account, peak season rates are waived, and during the summer months are when most companies move a large percentage of their employees. YOur saving the company the hassle of getting three bids. Your developing a trusting, working, business relationship. Your helping the company with their employees and their needs of trying to find a mover. And your possibly saving them from an employee being scammed. And most of the time, 95% or higher, you giving your best crews and drivers to accounts.

With a COD, you get a high discount, you have to pay for valaution, you get a middle of the road driver to what is available sometimes and crew wise you get what is left to help out with.

Now that isnt to say that companies dont have great drivers 1 thru 10 or great employees 1-75. It's all about the companies training. How they treat their employees. How they check quality and so on.
Michael

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Diane wrote:All Chicagoland is on the Superlist, yes, but with a "Caution" symbol in front of its name because of reviews and comments here. Are you sure you want to take a chance? Armstrong or Planes would likely be a better choice as a United agent. Since a full pack is involved, you want to be sure that you get a good packing crew.

Your catastrophic coverage under your homeowner's will not only cover you, it will be duplicated by the moving company's own insurance, so nothing to worry about there. With regard to coverage for breakage and rubs, I personally think you could skip the additional valuation if you go with one of the better Chicago companies, such as Prager, Armstrong, or Planes.

You don't say whether you have GNTE estimates or Binding estimates. Make sure that you don't just have Nonbinding estimates.

How do you know prager armstrong and planes are the best? I guess I am biased but Berger is very highly rated in chicago. We have 2 master movers and 2 top 20 that ru out of our terminal only let alone 150 long haul drivers and selfhaul 99% of our tonnage. Those are FACTS...

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for this info about Berger Chicago, and I'll add some of it to the Superlist linked to below. Just to clarify, I mentioned Planes, Armstrong, and Prager as examples of some of the better Chicago companies. It wasn't meant to be a complete list. I emphasized United agents since All Chicagoland was being considered.

This is the way I have revised the listing for Berger Chicago to include Bob's remarks above:
--Berger Transfer & Storage (Allied) in Addison.
This company has good comments by industry people although we have no reviews. As of 9/06 this office of Berger had an overall quality score from the van line of 4.54 out of 5 (well up in the "excellent" range). It books and hauls a large number of shipments from Chicago but doesn't do much COD work. Berger is Allied's largest agent with 15 offices nationwide. It was started in the Minneapolis area in 1910. A driver posting here as "BBATCO1" works for Berger Chicago and he posted the following about the company in 4/07: "We have 2 master movers and 2 top 20 that run out of our terminal only plus 150 long haul drivers. Also, we selfhaul 99% of our tonnage.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5256#85256

If anybody has corrections, please let me know. Also, I don't know the difference between a master mover and a top 20 mover, if anybody can please explain.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:49 pm

Those are master movers that work out of the chicago terminal, there are many more in the 150 total berger contractors that operate out of the 15 terminals. Top 20 is ranked in the top 20% of all allied drivers Master movers are top 10%. All major vanlines have systems of ranking drivers like this. We do plenty of COD work also as much as we can book and haul. We appreciate any and all buisness we can service.

[Update by Diane: I revised the Berger Chicago entry to include some of this information. This is how it reads now.]
--Berger Transfer & Storage (Allied) in Addison.
Berger is Allied's largest agent with 15 offices nationwide and 150 drivers working out of them. It was started in the Minneapolis area in 1910. The Chicago office of Berger has good comments by industry people although we have no reviews. As of 9/06 it had an overall quality score from the van line of 4.54 out of 5 (well up in the "excellent" range). It books and hauls a large number of shipments. A driver posting here as "BBATCO1" works for Berger Chicago and he posted the following about the Chicago office in 4/07: "We have 2 master movers [drivers ranked in the top 10% of Allied drivers] and 2 top 20 movers [drivers ranked in the top 20%] that run out of our terminal. Also, we selfhaul 99% of our tonnage.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5256#85256

Return to “Open Community”