*Boise, ID to Ithaca, NY - Moovers backed out. Now who?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mediaguy

*Boise, ID to Ithaca, NY - Moovers backed out. Now who?

Postby mediaguy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:42 am

Hi All,

This seems like a very helpful site. This is my first post. Based on all the great reviews of Moovers, Inc., we decided to enlist their services for our 2,400 mile move from Boise, ID to Ithaca, NY. After filling out the checklist and faxing it, they said they'd be available to pick up our things May 22nd-24th. Then after a few phone calls to try to lock in their services, they backed out and said they wouldn't have trucks in that area during that timeframe. We need to be out of our place in Boise by the end of May and we were counting on Moovers.

So, now what? Time is speeding by. Please, if anyone has any suggestions on quality, affordable movers for us I would be much obliged.

Best regards,
Nick

ArchieWhite

Re: Boise, ID to Ithaca, NY - Moovers backed out. Now who?

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 am

Go to your yellow pages and get in home quotes from any 3 of the follosing......United Van Lines, North American Van Lines, Allied Van Lines, Mayflower Transit, and Atlas Van Lines....But if they are not who you feel comfortable with, someone will be along shortly to recommend ABF and BE.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:53 am

Mediaguy, here's a list of reviews of the local companies in your area:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7597#57597

It's not much. I would do as Archie says. Contact 3 major van lines that are local in your area and have them come and do an in home survey.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:07 am

mediaguy,

As you know, you're in a somewhat out-of-the-way area. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. You could call Ben or Kenda Deere at Coast to Coast Auto (www.coasttocoastauto.com) just outside of Boise to ask whether they have any recommendations as to Boise moving companies. They own one of the two auto transport companies that we endorse on this website. Possibly they have done some transport work for one or more of those moving companies and would have an idea about quality. If you do this, tell whoever answers that you are not calling about auto transport but Diane at MovingScam suggested that you call them for general advice.

2. Broadway Express can often service areas like yours when other companies are unavailable. Although you might not have considered using a freight company for your move, if you hire the driver and some helpers from a high-rated company on eMove.com, you will have a move virtually indistinguishable from a full-service move and at much less cost. You just have to make up your mind that you can handle hiring loading and unloading helpers on your own (the BE driver will take charge of them and supervise - see the last BE review). I know it is a leap but it might actually be your best alternative, in my opinion.

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Diane, Farrah and Archie,

Thanks for your replies. I did as you said and now have 3 local companies coming to do walk throughs on Monday. I guess we'll take it from there. And, Diane, I got the suggestions on who to call from Bob at Coast-To-Coast a few miles from Boise in Kuna. Nice guy! Thanks!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Great Mediaguy! Can we ask who they recommended, so we can add it to our State-By-State list?

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:15 pm

Bob recommended Peasley's Transfer Service, Merchant's Movers and Air Van North American. I hope I have the names and spellings correct.

Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:26 pm

Nick,

I just checked and Peasley's is Allied and Merchant's is Atlas, so with the NAVL agent you have three van lines represented.

Good!

Just a note that if you have AAA, you can sometimes get free full replacement value valuation coverage from Atlas agents if your load is more than a certain minimum. You might ask the Merchant's agent about that.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Great! Diane, will you add them to your list?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Mediaguy,

Welcome to Central New York! By the time you get here, it MIGHT be spring. :wink:

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Diane wrote:mediaguy,

As you know, you're in a somewhat out-of-the-way area. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. You could call Ben or Kenda Deere at Coast to Coast Auto (www.coasttocoastauto.com) just outside of Boise to ask whether they have any recommendations as to Boise moving companies. They own one of the two auto transport companies that we endorse on this website. Possibly they have done some transport work for one or more of those moving companies and would have an idea about quality. If you do this, tell whoever answers that you are not calling about auto transport but Diane at MovingScam suggested that you call them for general advice.

2. Broadway Express can often service areas like yours when other companies are unavailable. Although you might not have considered using a freight company for your move, if you hire the driver and some helpers from a high-rated company on eMove.com, you will have a move virtually indistinguishable from a full-service move and at much less cost. You just have to make up your mind that you can handle hiring loading and unloading helpers on your own (the BE driver will take charge of them and supervise - see the last BE review). I know it is a leap but it might actually be your best alternative, in my opinion.

Actually when moving this way YOU take full liability and responsobility for the well being of your belongings, and the house they move too, and from. Any damage due to improper handiling or loading, and residence damage will be on YOU. That would add a bit of stress to the move if you ask me. seems a bit distinguishable to me. With all of the things you have to handle when moving 2400 miles why would you not want to leave it to a professionall.....

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 am

farrah7031 wrote:Great! Diane, will you add them to your list?

At this point about all I can do is list the companies with a note that they were "mentioned, but with little information." If anyone reading this knows anything about these companies, quality-wise, please post it.

I'm also wondering whether the "Bob" at Coast to Coast Auto who recommended these companies was actually Ben Deere (?).
Last edited by Diane on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mediaguy

Re: *Boise, ID to Ithaca, NY - Moovers backed out. Now who?

Postby mediaguy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:17 am

My apologies -- the man at Coast-to-Coast is Ben, not Bob.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:54 am

OK, thanks. Ben is the owner, and yes, he's very nice.

Looking at the companies' various websites, I thought the Atlas agent looked good. But you can't tell just from the website.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:09 am

I would disregard the comments made by BBATCO. Apparently they were smoking something or had a bad experience with a scammer or mover.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”