*Moving from NC to NJ - What Moving Companies??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rene2222

*Moving from NC to NJ - What Moving Companies??

Postby rene2222 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:49 pm

I'm planning a move from NC to NJ and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about All My Sons out of Raleigh, Triad Moving & Storage, or Truckin' Movers out of Durham. GreenWay Van Lines called to give me a quote but I'm leary about them since they only quote via cubic foot, which can be manipulated, and they didn't know what the Tariff 400-N was, so I'm definitely not going to use them. Another place, Transport Van Lines, went by that Tariff and said they would even store my things in NJ for me and then redeliver them to my new apt. for free once I found one. Sounds kinda fishy to me. That's like them moving me twice for one price. Plus they said I wouldn't have access to the warehouse till my stuff was delivered. Seems to me they could hold my stuff hostage and they would not release my goods till more $ was paid. Of course, they didn't say that, I'm just thinking that. So, that's why I'm considering the 3 I mentioned above. Trosa is supposed to come out on Tuesday to give me an estimate as well but, from what I've heard, they're good but they are more expensive than other companies. I've gotten several estimates and they range from $1,775 to $3,300! Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance!

farrah7031

Re: Moving from NC to NJ - What Moving Companies??

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Get rid of All My Sons.

Triad only has 1 truck and 2 drivers. They've only been licensed to do interstate moves for less than a year.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Have 3 major van lines come out and do an in home estimate for you. Here's a list of reviews we have for your area:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7104#77104

av8rjudy

Postby av8rjudy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:20 pm

rene2222 wrote:I'm planning a move from NC to NJ and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about All My Sons out of Raleigh, Triad Moving & Storage, or Truckin' Movers out of Durham. GreenWay Van Lines called to give me a quote but I'm leary about them since they only quote via cubic foot, which can be manipulated, and they didn't know what the Tariff 400-N was, so I'm definitely not going to use them. Another place, Transport Van Lines, went by that Tariff and said they would even store my things in NJ for me and then redeliver them to my new apt. for free once I found one. Sounds kinda fishy to me. That's like them moving me twice for one price. Plus they said I wouldn't have access to the warehouse till my stuff was delivered. Seems to me they could hold my stuff hostage and they would not release my goods till more $ was paid. Of course, they didn't say that, I'm just thinking that. So, that's why I'm considering the 3 I mentioned above. Trosa is supposed to come out on Tuesday to give me an estimate as well but, from what I've heard, they're good but they are more expensive than other companies. I've gotten several estimates and they range from $1,775 to $3,300! Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance!

av8rjudy

Postby av8rjudy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 pm

I would highly recommend Excel Moving and Storage. They did the reverse move for me - NJ (Edison) - NC in December. Ask for Stefan. 888-275-5900 :D

rene2222

Postby rene2222 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. Based on what you guys said, I'm contacting Excel to get a quote from them too. I will cancel All My Sons for tomorrow (they were supposed to come out for an estimate). Nerve-wracking trying to do this with all the stuff you hear about rogue movers out there!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:12 pm

Judy, what made you pick a company in your destination state rather than your origin state?

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 am

Rene,

I live in the Raleigh area. I would also recommend Excel, but ask for Dave, he is in sales. Tell him I referred you to him, otherwise you will get another sales rep.

I would also recommend you call and get surveys and quotes from Security Relocation Group (Atlas) ask to have a appt with John or Melissa. And then also include Armstrong Relocation.

Feel free to prvt me with any questions about the local companies in the triangle.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

rene2222

Postby rene2222 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for your help (esp. Michael!)...Just wanted to let you know I signed up w/Dave @ Excel. I took the $250 deductible insurance with FVP. The total came to $3,798.60 and breaks down as follows:

Transportation (6,300 lbs.) * $2,556.35
Insurance 277.00
Packing 848.00
Drop-Off @ Storage Unit 117.25

Total: $3,798.60

* All the fuel surcharges, extra charges re trip are rolled up into the transportation charges

They're coming to pack on May 7th and move me on the 8th. I'll let you know how the move went once I get back to Jersey.

Auspicious1

Postby Auspicious1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Great, Rene. Good luck! We are not moving until end of June so your review of Excel will be very helpful. Thanks. :)

rene2222

Postby rene2222 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:31 pm

Auspicious, good luck with your move as well. I spoke to Truckin' Movers this afternoon but they are VERY expensive. They can deliver your goods several way: Container shipment (cardboard containers w/bands around them), crate packaging, shipping re freight carrier, and with their trucks. Since they are not big, you may have to wait several weeks till they have a shipment going out that way and then they combine your shipment with someone elses, and also solo shipment, where it's just your goods on their truck (most expensive).

He's sending me a quote via email on Monday (was curious to see it even though I'm going with Excel). He didn't have the final figures but gave me some estimate. The cheapest was going to be $5,500 so I can imagine how much the solo was going to be!

Horne Moving & Storage (out of Goldsboro, NC), who are United Agents, also had given me a similar total quote as Excel, although the breakdowns were different.

Again, good luck to you and thanks for your help!

Auspicious1

Re: *Moving from NC to NJ - What Moving Companies??

Postby Auspicious1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:23 pm

That's interesting about Truckin. They are actually the lowest quote but they also gave us a the lowest weight estimate. The fact that it took them a full week to give us a quote bothers me. One big plus they have is they can give an exact delivery date which is helpful in our case but we don't want to wait weeks for our stuff so they are probably out! Thanks for the info.

rene2222

Re: *Moving from NC to NJ - What Moving Companies??

Postby rene2222 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:57 pm

I forgot to mention, Movin' Truckers' rate for just packing up my stuff was a lot more than anyone else was charging ($1,600 just for the packing!). Other quotes I had gotten ranged from $725.50 - 993.13.

They do, however, have an excellent record w/BBB, but I just found them too expensive for me. According to the flyer they gave me, they were founded in 1976 by Duke grads.

Return to “Open Community”