Logistics Problem in Colorado

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
eileens

Logistics Problem in Colorado

Postby eileens » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:05 am

I need some good advice. Here's my situation...

I am moving from Virginia to Colorado in early June. My items will be moved to storage in the Denver area because that's where I'll be staying for a month or so until I find a place to live around Glenwood Springs area (3 hours away - 120 miles). I do not know anyone in Glenwood that I can trust with receiving my items at storage, so I felt it best to have everything delivered to storage in Denver. Though, I still have time to change my mind.

So, I am paying near $5000 to move across country and now I've got to pay to get stuff to Glenwood. I need a very cheap way to do this. I am a teacher and took a huge cut in pay to move to Colorado and just don't have the funds to pay for another expensive move.

Does anyone have advice how I can save money? I've checked into truck rentals, van rentals, self pack movers and they will all cost between $1000 - 1500. HELPPPPPPP

Diane

Re: Logistics Problem in Colorado

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:10 am

Can you rethink the entire move, using two or three ABF ReloCubes (each holds up to 2000 pounds) instead of a conventional full-service mover? That would save money from the get-go and then ABF could store them at its Denver terminal for about $125/month each. You could find a local company in Denver to deliver them to Glenwood Springs. (I used Amazing Moves.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:38 am

Can you afford the $1000-$1500 for the move, or is even that out of your budget?

I'm going to go a similar route of Diane and suggest Broadway Express, if you haven't already looked at them. They moved me from Alexandria to NY last summer, and my 8 linear feet in the trailer cost $1566. That was a 2-bedroom house's worth of stuff, minus a 3-seater couch and a dresser.

I can offer you some names of excellent local movers to hire loaders from in VA. D's given you a name in Colorado.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:22 am

The only problem with BE is that this person needs storage, and BE can't provide that.

If she uses ReloCubes, ABF can not only store them but maybe even deliver them, depending on whether Glenwood Springs is within their delivery area. Otherwise, as I said, she can use a local mover.

eileens

Postby eileens » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:28 am

Thank you all for your input. I am hesitant to use a pack it yourself type move because it's 'JUST ME' packing/cleaning/preparing for sale two homes - mine and my mothers. I'm doing it all and I'm exhausted.

In addition, there are items for moving at my home, my mothers and storage - 3 altogether. I'd have to get the other stuff to my house and pack and load it all by myself. If I paid someone to help, then the cost goes up and is it then worth it? And, I'd have to learn how to pack the cubes (uggh, more to read).

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:37 am

Hi - the need for 3 pickups makes me lean now toward Broadway Express because they do that kind of thing all the time. They charge $50 for each extra pickup plus a mileage charge if it's out of the way. You don't have to consolidate all the things in one place.

Also, I don't know how much stuff you have but since you estimated that your move would cost $5000 with a full-service mover, I would guess that you don't have more than around 4000 pounds total. That would easily fit into 10 linear feet in a BE truck. BE would charge only $1827 to move 10 feet from VA to CO - a far cry from $5000.

Don't worry about loading the truck. With all the money you would save over a full-service mover you can contact a local mover in VA as MM says and ask the workers to meet you at the three different places to load. Also you can hire the BE driver to help at about $30/hour (very worth it).

The problem of storage remains, but you could ask BE to deliver the goods to a mini-storage place in Glenwood (preferable) or in Denver. If you use Amazing Moves, they may be able to recommend a place to you and then deliver your things when you're ready.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:43 pm

http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/accel/
I don't know too much about this service but it might be what you are looking for.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Check out these two companies. Both have full service storage facilities.

Columbine http://www.columbinemoving.com/ is an established Allied Van Lines agent with two locations withing 30 miles of Glenwood Springs. They offer very good service.

Don't know much about Aspen Moving http://www.aspenmoving.com/ other than they are an Atlas Van Lines agent located 22 miles away in Basalt.

Return to “Open Community”