Move from Syracuse NY to Yakima WA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wona

Move from Syracuse NY to Yakima WA

Postby wona » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:00 pm

This is my first time using a professional mover. Trying to find a reputable company for an interstate move from Syracuse NY to Yakima WA for the end of June. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Diane

Re: Move from Syracuse NY to Yakima WA

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi - we have almost no information on moving companies in Syracuse. I suggest that you sent a Private Message to "Rick" or just wait until he comes along to comment.

If you would consider using a freight company, both Broadway Express and ABF U-Pack have dozens of rave reviews posted on stickies at the top of the messageboard.

Also, since your origin and destination cities are both close to a major east-west route (I-90), I would give a call to Moovers, Inc. and Delancey Street Movers-San Francisco. Both of them are often looking for loads to fill their trucks returning to the West Coast where they are HQd. See these threads for reviews and contact information:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:06 pm

Wona,
Fortunately there aren’t any really bad van line agents in Syracuse. Most have been there for some time, are responsible corporate citizens and offer consistently good service. The office manager at Pelligra received several favorable comments from movingscam visitors several years ago while employed at a Wheaton agency.

Unfortunately, there aren’t many long distance haulers in Syracuse either. The Mayflower, Stevens and United agents generally are involved in regional hauling. Lincoln Moving and Storage, the Atlas agent, has offices in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Tampa, Florida. Their drivers generally haul east of the Mississippi River. Long distance haulers in western NY are Clark Transfer, a Mayflower agent, and East End Moving, a United Agent - both located in Rochester.

Since your moving at the end of June, it would be in your best interest to obtain your estimates and select a mover as soon as possible. Allow extra pick-up, transit and delivery date options if your schedule allows it. Western New York traditionally has a larger share of service problems at month-end June simply because there aren’t a lot of trucks that empty in the region.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Wona, I'm sending you a PM.

wona

Postby wona » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 pm

We're looking for someone to do the packing along with the move, as we're both working until the day of the move. I had Greater Syracuse Moving (North American Van Lines) here last Tues for an in-home estimate and he seemed very professional but haven't heard back yet (said he would e-mail me the bid). This past weekend, I did find a negative review of this company on a local website from about one year ago.... I left a message with Pelligra but haven't heard back yet. I have someone from Lincoln Moving (Atlas) coming this weekend for an in-home estimate.

My future employer's office manager referred me to a branch of United Van Lines located in Yakima. They've had good experience with them. I gave them a call this afternoon and left a message.

We're actually planning to use the cross-country drive as a vacation and spread it out over 10-14 days. We were initially planning to close on our house on arrival and keep our things in storage if movers arrived before us, but wondering if it would be better to close earlier (by long distance) and have a friend available for when the movers arrived. It's a new house...

I'd appreciate any additional information/suggestions. The companies I've spoken with have mentioned that the moving date we chose (june 29) is the first or second most busy moving week.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:06 pm

wona,

My feeling is that if you can avoid moving on June 29, it would be better, because of the crush on that particular day. If you can't avoid it, at least settle on a moving company ASAP, as Rick says.

The United agent in Yakima would set you up with an agent in the Syracuse area (maybe East End) to pack you.

About storage:- just a caution that it is very expensive to store in a van line agent's warehouse. I would avoid it if possible unless your employer is paying and expense is no object.

wona

Postby wona » Wed May 09, 2007 9:59 am

So I got 4 in-home estimates for my move. The first mover (NAVL agent) never sent the written estimate despite several phone calls and e-mails. The second, Lincoln with Atlas Van Lines gave what seemed a reasonable estimate, but when I called back to ask if it was binding and not to exceed, has not returned phone call. The 3rd with Mayflower was also reasonable with binding, not to exceed, but they don't have an agent in Yakima so I was a little concerned about not having a local contact and we may also need temporary storage.

The 4th with Delaney (United Van Lines) gave an estimate in the same range as others, but when I asked for binding, not to exceed, they said they had made a calculation error and the estimate should actually be 500lb more. I was planning to go with them, since they have an agent in Yakima who was recommended by my new employer, and also have local storage available if needed. Wondering if it is common for movers to change their estimate, if you ask for binding estimate...

Also, is it recommended to be present for the weigh-in of the moving truck before and after loading? Thanks for any insight, suggestions

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed May 09, 2007 10:03 am

Try telling them you will book it with them if they don't change it by adding 500 lbs. That's the closing technique, ask for the order, then sit back and let them talk. All they can do is say yes or no, and then you can decide.
To answer your question, is it standard operating procedure to add weight to binding estimates? Maybe, depends on the salesperson, or his sales manager, or his branch manager, or his regional managers instructions. I've never heard of it before though, to be honest, but everybody does things differently.
Not having a mayflower destination agent is nothing to be concerned, they can use United, they are sister companies, and the whole thing would be invisible to you.
Some people witness their weighing, but not many. personal choice, and since you have a bound price, (assuming) really no need to, unless you are just interested in the actual weight. If the actual wt is higher than your bound weight, you can see how much hard work the movers were required to do for free.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 09, 2007 10:10 am

ArchieWhite wrote:I've never heard of it before though, to be honest

Judging from what has been posted here, it is quite common, although often the sales rep will be up front about it and say "I will make the estimate GNTE but I will have to add extra weight to protect our company in case the shipment is bigger than I thought." I would say that the "calculation error" thing could be a euphemism. HOWEVER, if you are otherwise happy with the United agent, I personally would go with them. 500 extra pounds shouldn't make that much of a difference in the cost (maybe $200?) and anyway, if you have a GNTE you won't pay for any weight you don't have.

I personally would not ask the rep to remove the 500 pounds from the estimate. You have had trouble getting an estimate and finding a company you like - I would not do anything that might blow the deal out of the water.

I'm answering this assuming that you have a GNTE (Option C) estimate from the United agent, not a Binding (Option B) estimate.

You have a right to view the weighing of the truck, but with a reputable company in my opinion it isn't really necessary.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

boringmember

Postby boringmember » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Did you wind up going with Delaney? I'm also going to be moving from Syracuse soon....

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:43 pm

Send "wona" a Private Message by clicking on the "pm" button below his/her post.

boringmember

Postby boringmember » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:02 pm

I did - but I figured that since there was so little Syracuse info here, I'd also give an opportunity to post publicly for others in the future :)

wona

Postby wona » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 am

I decided to go with United Van Lines (Delaney) mainly because the Yakima branch is well known to our future employers. They are actually helping my husband's office move in Yakima.

We decided to plan on short term storage since we won't be closing on our house until July 16th, and the logistics of having our furnishings put in the house prior to closing became very complicated. Our employers will be covering moving costs anyway...

So packing day is scheduled for 6/28, loading day 6/29. I will give an update on how things go after the move. Good luck with your own move from Syracuse...

upnp

Postby upnp » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:44 am

Wow - Yakima. Haven't been there in a while. Have relatives in the Tri Cities. Good luck w/your move. We're moving to Portland from Chicago later this month via upack.

wona

Postby wona » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Just wanted to give a final update on our move from Syracuse NY to Yakima WA. Overall, a good experience. As mentioned, we went with Delaney's of United Van Lines in Syracuse. Our coordinator was actually based in Yakima (Bernd, United branch in Yakima) who really facilitated the logistics. I had made a few independent phone calls to Delaney's on my own without response, until I got the help of Bernd in Yakima. Delaney's then came to our house for an in-home estimate (got the "option C," bound estimate) of $5056 for 4000#.

The day before moving, 2 men arrived to do the packing. One was quite a bit older and I was a little worried about his health. They were pretty slow and took most of the day to complete the packing (and not that much to pack). They were very careful with our things though, and generous with the packing materials. The next day, 2 younger guys arrived and loaded our things within 3 hours, no problems. Our furnishings arrived at destination within a week; we had to keep in storage for another week as we took a driving vacation. We used the United Van Lines storage here in Yakima. I don't actually know how much they charged for that since our employers covered the charges. I requested the day I wanted things unloaded and they arrived as promised with 3 men. Our things were unloaded and accounted for within 3 hours. The only damage I noticed were some scratches on a wooden chair of ours.

So overall, satisfied with the move. I was a little concerned when it took so long to pack things up, but things went very smoothly after that. Hope this will be helpful information. If we move from Yakima, I would definitely go with Bernd as they were very accomodating and easy to contact.

Return to “Open Community”