*Valdosta GA to Central Coast CA in late July

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kar

*Valdosta GA to Central Coast CA in late July

Postby Kar » Wed May 09, 2007 2:54 pm

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all the time contributed to help.

I need a full service move for a large house (4 Bedrooms and a garage full of boxes) from the Valdosta GA Area to near San Luis Obispo, CA in mid to late July. I will probably need a shuttle service on the CA end. Has anyone worked with any interstate movers in the Valdosta area?

I read the state-by-state-reviews but could not find any nearby references. I phoned Suddath in Jacksonville FLA - they said they don't go that far away and recommended a local United agent in Valdosta - AllState Moving and Storage. Any experence with them?

Also, how long is transit for a move likely to take?

What is the likely additional cost to a one car shipped?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!!

farrah7031

Re: Valdosta GA to Central Coast CA in late July

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 09, 2007 3:11 pm

There has to be some local agents of Major vanlines close to you, because you're located near an Air Force Base. Call United, Mayflower, Allied, Atlas, and North American agents in your area.

Sometime they'll ship the car with you, but sometimes it's not cost effective. You can try the auto shippers listed here:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 09, 2007 3:24 pm

All States Moving & Storage, Inc. has had no BBB complaints over the past 36 months. It looks good to me. There is a North American agent (Ortlieb) in Valdosta too, but United is generally considered a stronger van line for household moving.

I would call Golden Key Express at www.goldenkeyexpress.com for a quote on your car. They are getting booked up so it would be good to do it soon. It is likely to cost around $1100.

Transit time for the household goods would be fairly fast for a moderately large move like yours. I am guessing 10-14 days. You can ask All States about moving your car, too, but at this time of year they may just book it with a broker, and quality and transit time (to say nothing of cost) might not be as good as with Golden Key.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed May 09, 2007 4:07 pm

The owner of United/Allstates in Valdosta is John Fretti, who is also the Mayor of Valdosta...i've known him for years, he will take good care of you, call him for a quote.....229-242-2295

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Archie. I was wondering what you would say. I'll add the company to the Superlist for Georgia.

(Tell John that his company should have a website. I know a good, reasonably priced website designer if he wants a referral.)

Here's John's website as Mayor that includes his photo and some information about the company - http://www.valdostacity.com/CityCouncil ... etTheMayor It looks as if the company does a lot of military moves.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Kar

Postby Kar » Wed May 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Thank you all for the swift and helpful replies! I will do my homework and post results as I go along.

Any additional receommendations are welcome - I do want to follow the advice of getting 3 estimates and I hope that I am starting early enough to make this less painful. This site will certainly help!

Kar

Postby Kar » Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 pm

How big a truck is likely to be used for my 4 bedroom house move from GA to CA? The delivery point is somewhat rural, and the access goes:

1) 40 foot wide county road
2) slightly sharper than 90 degree turn to a 16-18 foot wide paved road - about 200 feet to
3) roughly 120 degree turn on to a 12 foot wide gravel road about 175 feet to
4) large level parking area widening to 60 by 60 closest to the house.

Is it possible that the truck will fit? Or will I definitely need a shuttle? What info do I need to provide movers to help them figure out if it will fit. Aerial photo?

Thanks again!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi - almost certainly your shipment will be moved across the country in a tractor-trailer that will have a total length of 70 to 80 feet. I'm pretty sure that a shuttle will be needed, but it is the driver's call. Moving companies today use Google Earth and such to visualize the access but you could certainly share photos with them as well.

I think you are unlikely to find another company in your area as good as All States.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 10, 2007 8:06 am

Usually the destination agent will send someone to look at the delivery site, if its not too far....at least in the United/Mayflower system, and there is no charge for that.

Kar

Postby Kar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Continuing the process of arranging a cross country move at the end of July from Valdosta, GA to CA for my in-laws who are in their 70s and 80s. Challenging under any circumstances, so this forum has been invaluable! I would like advice on whether I should be worried, or if there is anything else I should be doing to make this go smoothly.

After getting 3 in-home estimates, I am working with a GNTE from a local Atlas Agent – Moving and Storage in Tifton GA - for an 11,200 lb move with some custom packing services and a shuttle on the delivery end (which may not be needed). I need July 30 or 31 pick up date (I know it’s a popular move time!) and would like it to be delivered in Arroyo Grande, CA on August 8 or later. Hutchinson said back on July 2 that they could not guarantee the pick up date until Atlas scheduled it, but that it would likely be accommodated. I have never gotten anything with a move date on it from Hutchinson or Atlas, just an emailed unsigned APP estimate for the weight and services I am contracting for. I asked them if I need to sign anything and send it back and was told no.

I called today and the receptionist said Hutchinson’s schedule showed loading Mon, July 30, with packing scheduled for Thur, July 26. I asked if that date had been confirmed by Atlas with a truck assigned. She did not know whether our move had been scheduled in the Atlas system yet, but that if Atlas could not get a truck there for it, that they (Hutchinson) would load it and would hold it in a warehouse. She said that Sandy (the same person who did my estimate, very professional and thorough) had been handling the arrangements for my move and that Sandy would call me back.

Questions
1.Shouldn't it be scheduled by now? If it is only 11 days to my requested pick up date for a reasonably large load, shouldn’t it be in the Atlas system by now to have any chance of happening on time?

2.I have been told 4-14 days from pick up in GA to delivery in CA. Would that clock start on July30 even if the stuff goes into storage?

3.Can I do anything to reduce chance that interim storage is needed?

4.Will I get hit with storage charges if Hutchinson can’t get an Atlas truck there?

5.Should I have something in writing other than the unsigned emailed APP estimate I received back in late June? What should I ask for?

Thanks again to all who post on this forum! After all is done, I will post a complete review, including my impressions of the other two estimates I got.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 pm

I would call Atlas's main office in Evansville, IN. Confirm your order is registered and get the contract number.

IF the local agent has to pick it up, there should be no additional charges to you at all.

I would ask again for an Order for Service. Not sure what Atlas calls it, as all van lines have different lingo. But you need a contract showing your load and delivery spreads and price.

I don't see why they can't give you that!

Kar

Re: *Valdosta GA to Central Coast CA in late July

Postby Kar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Thanks Nancy! I called Atlas Customer Servie today and everything is in the system - I got the info to check status on line. A driver has been assigned and it shows the agreed upon pick-up and delivery windows.

So barring some unforeseen problem, it looks good to go!

Return to “Open Community”