*Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tmohyuddin

*Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX

Postby tmohyuddin » Sun May 06, 2007 1:35 pm

Hello,

I am moving a 2 bedroom appartment from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX in mid june. Any advice or suggestion regarding the moving company selection will be appreciated.
Thanks

t

farrah7031

Re: Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX

Postby farrah7031 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:39 pm

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 07, 2007 7:39 am

You're going to want to hurry on those in-home estimates: June is the busiest month for moving.

tmohyuddin

Postby tmohyuddin » Wed May 09, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi -- Thanks for all the info. It has been helpful. So I got the in-house estimates completed. Only 1 company Graebel Moving was not able to do it. (any info on graebel)

In summary United Van Lines & Allied have given non-binding estimates and they go by weight, while northAmerican, Mayflower & Atlas
give a not to exceed/binding estimate as well if less than that then they go by weight.
Bekins go either by binding OR by wieght. I have a 2 bedroom appartment and all companies have told me that I will not exceed 5000 lb, realistically the say it betwenn 4000-4500 lb.

Price wise Bekins and Mayflower are competitive (althought more than Nationwide!!!!) Actually Bekins may be better price wise than Mayflower.
The agent is Milwuakee has no bad reports on BB but the parent company from chicago has lot of complaints on chicago BB. One of my friends had exellent personal experience with them 2 years ago in Milwaukee.

Any suggetsions/advice regarding this move will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tayyab

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Ask United and Allied to make theis Not To Exceeds. That's the safest option for you. They might up the weight just a bit, but that's OK. Just making it safer for them as well.

Graebel and Bekins are both smaller van lines. Bekins in general seems to have some issues, probably along the likes of what you saw on the Chicago report. But if your friend had a good move from them, then that's a plus. Did Graebel give a reason for not being able to come? I think you've got enough with the other guys that it's not necessary to push them.

tmohyuddin

Postby tmohyuddin » Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Grabel ppl are busy this week and I am out of town for next week. I really wanted their estimate because I know they have competitive price. I want to finalize this by the end of the week so will not be possible.

I do not have lot of fancy stuff basic 2 bedroom appartment but on the other hand I do not want lot of headaches with the move. I think United and Allied will give me not to exceed estimate by increasing the weight. They are about 20 % more expensive than Bekins and Mayflower.

I am waiting to hear from Mayflower they may end up matching Bekins. If they do, is mayflower better than Bekin ? or if they do not do you think it will be OK to go with Bekins and save 20% ?

Tx

Tayyab

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed May 09, 2007 6:23 pm

My suggestion would be to pass on Graebel at this point and I say that for a couple of reasons. First, it seems unconscionable to tell you they can't make it to your place in Milwaukee, when their largest presence in the US is in Wausau, WI. The other is that the pricing may not be as competitive as you might believe - their bread and butter has always been the corporate customer. They don't generally do well for the one-time (referred to as COD) customer unless you're moving a lot and have a lot of stuff to crate or store.

Mayflower and United are owned by the same parent company, so you would probably get a quality move from a Mayflower agent, though that does depend on the agent. Bekins is tough to assess - the quality is always hit and miss depending on the agent; more so than utilizing an agent from any other major van line. Make sure you get a binding estimate from the Bekins agent if you haven't done so already - if they won't bind the quote, then remove them from consideration. The only way to compare services is if everyone is quoting the same service across the board.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 09, 2007 8:22 pm

Tayyab,

It would be best if you could post the names of the specific agents you're considering (other than Graebel). However, in general I would advise going with a Mayflower agent as opposed to a Bekins agent.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

tmohyuddin

Postby tmohyuddin » Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 pm

I am still awaiting the reply from Mayflower. The agents for Bekins in Milwaukee is True Van Lines of Milwaukee / Allmmysons. The agent is Ron Manzella, nice guy who came for the estimate . The BB shows no complaints but the company was registered on BB in march 2007 and started in spetember on 2006 per BB report. Moreover I do not know if I have to trust BB anymore(after Nationwide report). The also require 10% deposit UNLIKE other companies.

I am really hoping that Mayflower will match Bekins offer/ estimate so I can go with them. The agent for Mayflower is Boulevard moving and the person is Nikki Woods very nice woman.

For other companies the agents are
United --- Schroeder (excellent service from my previous experience, my employer paid for the move unlike this time)
Atlas --- AceWorldwide
Northamerican -- Beltman group
Atlas -- Federal companies
Graebel --- actually when I call their office they say graebel no agent may be because they are WI based, anyway they have not been here for estiamte.

Let me know what is your advice ?

Tayyab

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I would stay away from All My Sons, period. There have been numerous complaints about different agents all over the country.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 11, 2007 8:17 pm

If Schroeder did an excellent job for you before, I would tend to go with them again, asking them for a GNTE (Option C) quote, as someone said. Sometimes even though your employer isn't paying for it this time, if you mention your previous move and employer, you can get better service.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

tmohyuddin

Postby tmohyuddin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:30 am

I agree you guys are doing a wonderful job here providing so much information which is extermely helpful to ppl like me doing COD moves and may get scammed by various movers.

After your suggestions, considerations etc. I have decided to go with
Mayflower (agent Boulevard moving) instead of Bekins (agent True Van lines of Milwaukee/ Allmy sons) inspite of the price difference.

I mentioned to Mayflower agent about the price difference and they changed my not to exceed estimate from 4500 lb to 4000 lb and it decreased the price. My only concern was that with previous quote of not to exceed 4500 lb if my stuff weighed 4000 lb in actual I would have paid them less than the current price for 4000 lb (not to exceed).
Shall I go with 4500 lb not to exceed hoping that my stuff weighs 4000 lb and I pay less or to go with this intermediate figure of not to exceed 4000 lb and not worry about the weight ?

Moreover if lets say my stuff weigh 4500 lb and contract is for 4000 lb (not to exceed) can they give me hard time or create any problems ?
Any other advice or anything that I need to be aware of at the time of signing the contract ?

Once again thanks for all the info.

t

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi - I don't know what others will say but I personally would go for the GNTE at 4000 pounds. Since the sales rep decreased the weight estimate, and since it's only a 500 pound difference, you will not have any trouble from the driver, I am sure.

What is the connection between True Van Lines (Bekins) and All My Sons? I thought AMS was an independent company, not a van line agent. Please clarify because I am going to add a lot of information from this thread to the Superlist linked to below.
Diane

farrah7031

Re: *Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Diane, I believe All My Sons are all Bekins agents.

Diane

Re: *Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Oh, thanks - so is the company's name True Van Lines or All My Sons?

Return to “Open Community”