Overwhelmed: minimum move MD to CA, on May 31

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MaureenB

Overwhelmed: minimum move MD to CA, on May 31

Postby MaureenB » Fri May 11, 2007 11:17 am

Helping my daughter move less than one bedroom of stuff, boxes of books, misc. personal belongings, TV, A/C, printer, etc. Not a big move, receiving estimates for minimal price. But made the mistake of requesting quotes on-line and now have too many companies to sort through. Not much time to do this. Was not aware of all the scams out there when I started this. Need to know where to start and how to check out the companies. Glad I found this site for sure. Help??

MusicMom

Re: Overwhelmed: minimum move MD to CA, on May 31

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Dump the online companies.

Can your daughter be convinced to sell her furniture, mail her boxes, and get new (or used) furniture in CA?

MaureenB

Postby MaureenB » Fri May 11, 2007 12:49 pm

No, MusicMom, we've discussed this every which way, and for many reasons it makes more sense for us to move her stuff, than to start over in CA.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 11, 2007 12:59 pm

Try an ABF ReloCube.

nomad222

Postby nomad222 » Sat May 12, 2007 4:38 am

Please do not use Air Ride Moving and Storage, Granada Hills, CA.

I moved from CA to MD and had a horrible experience. They did not pick up and pick up as scheduled. Because they kept my possessions in a questionable storage facility for such an extended time period, it had rodent bites on my furniture and droppings. In addition, they use old and dirty trailers to transport your belongings. I have been trying to call their "complaint" department for several months now, but every the person handling the case is not available.

I understand your daughter is making the opposite trip as me, but in case they are one of the service that responded to you, I highly advise AGAINST using them. Even for local moves when she gets there, do not use this mover.

MaureenB

Postby MaureenB » Sat May 12, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks for your replies. Now I'm really concerned! So many horror stories out there about movers. Now that I've been contacting authentic movers, not the internet scammers, I'm getting quotes that are twice the price. Thanks to this website, I found out not to follow-up with those internet-based rip-offs.

But, I've also talked with some helpful professionals who have given me really good advice. For example, her student desk is pressed wood, and movers won't guarantee that will arrive safely. It's heavy and it's fragile, they say. So that's one piece we might need to buy anyway.

I've contacted ABF U-Pack, and it could be an option. Thanks for that tip, MusicMom.

The good news is that there will be three of us flying home, so we can bring empty suitcases and duffel bags to fill with her things. We might just be able to schlep as much as we can on planes and in her car, getting a rooftop carrier if needed, and buy the rest of the stuff again in CA. It's a drag, because she'll only be in CA for two years with this job, so we hate to get stuff all over again. And, since all the students vacate their apartments at the end of May, there's no market for selling furniture. You pretty much just give it away to friends, because there's so much of it available. (Now there's a business idea for someone!)

I'll report back if ABF is the solution. Anyone else have any other ideas?
Thanks again.

P.S. If anyone's looking, Hilldrup is one company I talked to, pulled from a list of good ones I found here. Tina there has been very helpful: 888 756 1873. She's been in the business a long time, she said, and gave me lots of good tips. She offered to send someone over for an estimate, even though she knows we probably can't afford it and our shipment is under they minimum of 2100 lbs. She said he could also recommend other options. We'll probably take them up on that offer.

Another company that's been very helpful is called ShipSmart, 800 554 5574. Another mover recommended them, because they specialize in small moves and don't charge a minimum. I talked with Randy there and got lots of good advice, along with a 10 percent discount. Still too expensive, though, I think. The storage we need for 6 weeks really adds to the price with all the 'real' estimates.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 12, 2007 10:50 am

Maureen,

I suggest that you call Moovers, Inc. at www.mooversinc.com on the chance that they might have a truck going your way at the time you want to move. If they have space on trucks going West from the East Coast they are sometimes able to give people a good price. Reviews and contact info here -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

Otherwise I agree with MusicMom that a ReloCube would be an excellent idea.

I am going to add a note about how helpful Tina was to the Hilldrup description on the Superlist linked to below. Can you tell me which office of Hilldrup she is in?

ShipSmart has good phone marketers but you have to be a little cautious because they have arrangements with many moving companies where the companies refer people to them. Not saying that's what happened here, but in general it's best to give more consideration to actual reviews of performance than to how reps sound on the phone.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MaureenB

Postby MaureenB » Sat May 12, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks, Diane. I did get a quote from Moovers, because I saw them recommended here. But theirs was one of the highest, at over $3200. I could call them again, and emphasize that we have 2 1/2 months to get the things to CA.

I appreciate the info. re: ShipSmart and will be careful. They were recommended to me originally by an Allied carrier, as you said.

I think Tina is in the Annapolis office of Hilldrup, because that's where she said the man is from whom she would send to our Baltimore address. Their quote was very reasonable: with a minimum of 2100 lbs., it was $1900- $2000 without packing services. About $2350 with full packing. (These are soft estimates given prior to our appointment to see the place.) Storage was $84/month plus a $84 fee.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks for the info about Tina. That IS a very reasonable quote. Storage is also MUCH less than I would have guessed. I wonder whether they are going to move and store the goods in some kind of container (?).

It might be worth one more call to Moovers on the chance that they have a little bit of unused space on a truck going back on May 31st. Not sure what you mean by you don't need the things for 2-1/2 months (?). Anyway, they would probably get them there within 2 weeks. Their quote should be pretty much the same as Hilldrup's for the same weight since they use the same 400N tariff. However, they can't provide storage.

MaureenB

Postby MaureenB » Sat May 12, 2007 2:09 pm

Diane, we have to move out of the apartment by May 31, but won't have a new place in CA until the second week of August. So it's partly the storage for that time that adds to our price.
Thanks again.

Return to “Open Community”