quotes from united & atlas--should i wait for Allied?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
californiamove

quotes from united & atlas--should i wait for Allied?

Postby californiamove » Tue May 15, 2007 10:21 am

So i am moving from MD to the Bay area in CA. I have had 4 companies give me quotes: ACE (Atlas), Von Paris (United), JK Moving, and Moyer & Sons.
JK & Moyer were way too expensive--although they had great customer service and I liked the family business feel.

So ACE gave me an estimate of $3600 based on 3500 pounds with full replacement, packing, etc. Von Paris gave $4600 (he thinks we have 4200 pounds). I asked Von Paris (who is the greatest rep! he has been soooo helpful) if I only had 3500 pounds what the cost would be and it came in around the same as ACE. But I wanted to get an estimate from Hilldrup(to see if he would give me a lower not to exceed based on a lower weight) and from Matthew (Allied).

I am trying to move June 10th/11th. (this is different if you remember my posts from a few weeks ago) Matthew can't come to do an estimate until next week (wed).

Do you think I should wait for their estimate? Or should I just book it with ACE since they have the lowest Not to exceed estimate? I don't want to end up with no one since I know that this is the busiest time of year!

farrah7031

Re: quotes from united & atlas--should i wait for Allied?

Postby farrah7031 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 am

Are they both GNTE quotes from Ace and Von Paris? (Meaning that you will only pay for your actual weight)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 15, 2007 11:04 am

I'm surprised Moyer offered to go to CA, I thought they stopped at the Midwest. They must be factoring the the price of an empty trailer for the return trip, which is why they are so expensive. Focus on the other guys.

Von Paris has an excellent reputation. Hilldrup is United Van Lines, like Von Paris, so the two quotes would be very similar. You may just want to pick on or the other.

californiamove

Postby californiamove » Tue May 15, 2007 11:15 am

THey are both GNTE quotes. just that von paris thinks i have 4200 pounds. everyone else says i only have 3200-3600. I know in the end i will only pay for what i have, but the up front money is a challenge and $1000 is a big difference.

the reason i wanted to do hilldrup as well was to see if i could get a lower GNTE estimate than von paris gave.

does anyone have a preference between united and atlas? it seems like both von paris and hilldrup have rave reviews and ace has good reviews but not as good as the other two. How about Allied(matthew)?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi - I assume you are talking about the Ace Relo in Jessup (?). If so, I think that Hilldrup and Von Paris have much better reviews and comments here. The general manager at that Ace Relo canceled a local move on somebody at the last minute and then gave what I considered to be an inadequate apology.

See whether the Von Paris rep will lower the weight and price estimate slightly. Whether or not you go with them, please post the name of that rep so I can give him credit for being a good guy in the Superlist.

Personally I wouldn't wait around for Matthew to quote because as a relatively small company they have the same issues as Moyer and I think their quote is going to be too high for you.

californiamove

Postby californiamove » Tue May 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks Diane. As usual you are extremely helpful! This website has been crucial to my move!!!

The Von Paris rep is Steven Feldman. He has been so helpful, straightforward, honest, and really has my best interest at hand. Even if he can't give me what I want because of company constraints (ie a better spread) he tried to work with me and did give me an improvement. He follows up with me frequently and always returns phone calls quickly. I definitely feel like I can trust him and that he is not trying to swindle me.

I just wish I could get him to come down on his estimate!
But he has his own bank account to worry about, too.

oh well. We'll see. I will definitely report back with the results for the benefit of others in the future!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 15, 2007 12:36 pm

So you asked Steven Feldman to come down and he wouldn't? Too bad. :( I can't see why he wouldn't since it doesn't come out of HIS pocket if you give less of an initial credit card payment to the van line.

Also, I just wanted to note that Archie White posted that if people don't want to upfront the money to a van line agent on a credit card and then have to wait a long time for a refund, they can always pay with a casher's check on delivery and then they will be paying only for the actual weight of the shipment.

Finally, I just reviewed the comments here on Matthew. One person said that Coleman American was going to be the hauler on a long-distance move. That worries me (quality issues). I don't think I would use Matthew regardless of what they quote.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Actually Diane, sometimes missed estimates DO come out of the salesmens pockets ( commission chargebacks) and even if they didn't they have to come out of somebody's pocket...why should someone get something moved for free? But that brings us right back to the estimating skills ( and lack thereof) of the typical moving company salesperson. Walk thru the house, and guess the weight/box count...it ain't brain surgery, but it ain't chopped liver either.....one person says 3200 lbs, another says 4,200 lbs.....you just don't know until that truck drives back to the scales and weighs, do you?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue May 15, 2007 2:56 pm

First I would state that just because "one" move was cancelled and someone here didnt like their response (not that they had to respond anyway) is not a good reason to not consider them. Ace is a fine agent for Atlas.

When it comes to the two companies as a whole, United and Atlas, I would rate them 1-2 in that order, with the slight slight edge to United.

I view Hilldrup as a better agent the Von Paris, but again, very slight edge.

I know when I worked for an Atlas agent, we didnt charge the credit card until we had the exact weight and services. When I worked at United they charged the card two days before the move. So if up front money is an issue, I would ask ACE if they do the same thing with credit cards.

Personally I dont think you can go wrong with either United or Atlas. We know they wont try to scam you in the true sense of the "scam" in this industry.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

weem

Postby weem » Tue May 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Hear from Matthews.

Return to “Open Community”