Philly to Columbus, OH- in need of an inexpensive, full-service mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
C_busBound

Philly to Columbus, OH- in need of an inexpensive, full-service mover

Postby C_busBound » Tue May 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Hello,

After trying some internet brokers (before I knew better) and hearing quotes over the phone ranging from $1350 (self-pack)-2500 (full-pack), being called "sweetie" by some moving company representative, and then given a tongue-lashing for not wanting to leave a credit card deposit, I finally found this website and realized that the previous week's efforts were a waste of time!

I am trying to move from Philadelphia to Columbus OH in about 2 weeks (the week of Memorial Day), but I won't be able to get into my new place in Columbus until after 6/5. I only have a small 1BR, but after 4 gruelling years in school, I don't have the mental or emotional stamina to pack myself (and likely do a crummy job, to boot!) I realize that I'm coming down to the wire here on time, but I was hoping that someone here had experience with a similar move.

I've already gotten a quote from Morgan Moving & Storage (North American)- $4750... does that sound reasonable? I'm waiting for an estimate from Reads Moving System (Atlas) and i have estimates from Bayshore (Allied), and Noffs-Atlantic in the works.

Does anyone out there have any other suggestions for reputable, affordable (starving former student, here!) full-service moving companies?

Does anyone have any experience with Ultimate Moving Services in Jersey City (DOT#: 1544045)? They seem to be saying the right things, but I'm having trouble finding info on them here and on BBB website.

I know this is a long post, but thanks for hanging in there! Please help, my brain is melting! (Love this website, by the way!)

farrah7031

Re: Philly to Columbus, OH- in need of an inexpensive, full-service mover

Postby farrah7031 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Stay away from that Ultimate Moving Services. They've only been doing interstate moves since January of this year:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

A general statement of cost is to figure you're going to pay $1 per pound. Did you get in home estimates? How much weight did they estimate?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 15, 2007 4:30 pm

$1 per pound would be a ballpark estimate for moving cross-country, but you are moving only a short distance. Therefore your quote is very, very high.

One reason for the expense is probably your need for storage for a couple of months. Storage with a van line agent is very expensive, as is having them pack items into boxes. You can get around this by using an ABF ReloCube to move. Each one holds up to at least 2000 pounds, which is probably about what you have. ABF will store the cube at its terminal for about $125/month, delivering it when you are ready. The only downside to this is that you will have to find someone to load the cube, either at your residence or at the ABF terminal, and unload the cube at destination. There are a couple of companies that people have recommended in Philly, including Action Enterprises and Mambo. Click on the link below my name and scroll down to "Pennsylvania" to see contact information and reviews. Then in Columbus you can use a high-rated company from www.eMove.com.

If money is no object, Bayshore Allied and others you are considering are very good. Again, you can read reviews on the Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Not to get too far afield, but this Ultimate Moving Services has also used the name Olympic Moving & Storage, same address & phone number.

C_busBound

Postby C_busBound » Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 am

Thanks for the replies!

As best as I can understand from the Morgan estimate (which was the result of an in-house visit), the weight he came up with is 7000 lbs (egad!) and "cube" (cubic feet?)= 1000. I know that over-the-phone estimates are not meant to be accurate, but the highest I had received before that (when I gave them an inventory of my stuff) was 5000 pounds (but with a range from 3500-5000 lbs), so I don't know what to believe there. I'm still waiting on the Allied estimate from the in-house visit I had yesterday.

Diane: I completely understand that having the company pack for me will add to the cost, but as for storage, I will only need storage for 7-10 days, not 2 months as you had mentioned. Ironically, the smaller, over-the-phone (and perhaps less-than-reputable) guys all seemed to include 28 days of free storage, and seemed to need the better part of a week to deliver anyway. The big companies claim to be able to deliver within 3-5 days, but houw much should I reasonably expect to pay for less than a week of storage?

When I intially began looking around, I thought that I was going to be in for about $2500 (give or take a couple of hundred) for a full-pack move, so the Morgan estimate took me a bit by surprise. As I said before, I am still waiting on the Allied estimate and I have Bayshore coming in later this morning. If I'm looking at $4000-5000 for a reputable mover, then I may have to find a way to cough that up (I really don't trust my own ability to pack, and I have no one to help me here), I just wanted to check to see if that Morgan estimate made sense. Since I'm moving for a job, at least part of it is tax-deductible, correct?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 am

Yes, the part of the move that's not covered by your employer you can write off on your taxes (including transportation, gas, packing, storage, hotels - but NOT food).

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 16, 2007 8:48 am

Hi again - although anything is possible if you have a large number of books (for example), 7000 pounds would be extremely high for a "small 1BR" apartment in my opinion. Your other estimates from legitimate companies such as the one from Bayshore will tell the story. ("Cube" refers to cubic feet - the industry rule of thumb is that every cubic feet of household goods weighs about 7 pounds. The fact that your estimate was for 7000 pounds or 1000 cubic feet makes me think that the estimator didn't see a lot of books in your place, because then he would have used a higher cube factor such as 8 or 9.)

If you need storage for only 7-10 days - sorry for reading your post wrong - I think you can probably work it out with the moving company to just keep the shipment on the loading dock rather than putting it into expensive "deep storage." But be very careful about the companies that promised you a month's "free" storage. That kind of offer is one hallmark of the scammers. Beware!

Morgan's estimate is very high, and North American isn't generally considered as strong a van line as United or Mayflower (for example). Besides Bayshore Allied, try to get a quote from Sinclair Mayflower in Philadelphia, which has very good reviews and comments here. You are paying a premium to move a small 1BR apartment less than 500 miles, and you should make sure to get a truly excellent moving company.

C_busBound

Postby C_busBound » Wed May 16, 2007 9:23 am

Farrah: Well that's quite a relief, as I am paying for 100% of the move!

Thanks for your help! Diane, I just made an appt with Sinclair to do an in-house estimate later today, and I will call United (Hughes Relocation) as well. I'm sure that I will be back for more advice after I collect some more information. BTW: I kept referring to the "Allied" estimate that I already had, but it was Atlas, FYI

This is a wonderful service that you provide here; I emailed a link to this website to my entire graduating class!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:19 am

Here's the link to the IRS. I had to call them this year to clarify the things it includes:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 am

Hughes is a good agent, they will take good care of you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Duly noted on the Superlist, Archie.

Columbusbound, could you please post your impressions of the Read's estimator (as well as the others)? We have nothing here on Read's as yet.

You sound so exhausted - are you moving to do a residency?

Auri

Postby Auri » Thu May 17, 2007 9:49 am

Diane wrote:
If you need storage for only 7-10 days - sorry for reading your post wrong - I think you can probably work it out with the moving company to just keep the shipment on the loading dock rather than putting it into expensive "deep storage." But be very careful about the companies that promised you a month's "free" storage. That kind of offer is one hallmark of the scammers. Beware!

I would like to note that all companies who offer a free month's storage are not scammers. Sometimes it's just a bargaining tool to try and compete with the giants. Things to watch out for on "free storage" is that scammer companies will charge for not only months beyond the first month but also for loading and unloading your items into storage.

Above the board companies won't charge labor hours for putting your items into storage.
Industry Professional in Chicago

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 pm

I have to disagree. If a company's offering your a month free off of storage you've already asked for, that's fine. But when a moving company offers you a month of free storage before you've even described your move (and thus has not said you needed storage), why?? Then end result, according to the complaints we've received, and my own personal move experience, the "free month's storage" is what they get to throw back at you for the 30 days your stuff takes to get to you. Yes, when I complained about the price at delivery, I was told "Why are you angry? We didn't even charge you for storage!"

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 17, 2007 1:52 pm

The word 'Free' is used loosely in a lot of companies marketing...I can't count the number of free trips I've won down thru the years, I even won a free set of encyclopedias once, before the internet ended their need, now you can't even give them away.

Return to “Open Community”