Moving from NY to NC need advice ............

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
GIJOE

Moving from NY to NC need advice ............

Postby GIJOE » Fri May 18, 2007 10:36 am

First thank you everyone for this forum ........ it has been invaluable and we have not even moved yet ! !

I am moving in Aug, I am looking for a full service mover. We have a 4+ bedroom home with some expense item (Grand Father Clock etc..) I was going to do U-Pack but the idea of damaging any of these would kill my wife and I.

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE and fair priced full service mover ???

How is Allied ????

Thanks,
Joe

ArchieWhite

Re: Moving from NY to NC need advice ............

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri May 18, 2007 10:42 am

Joe, Allied is fine. So is United, Mayflower, Atlas and North American. These are all large, multi national moving companies that have been around for 70-80 years. They will give you a professional move, at a fair price. They will not scam you. Be sure to take out valuation coverage ( some people call it insurance, it's not technically) and schedule it as far ahead as you can, as Summer is the peak season.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 18, 2007 10:48 am

Where, exactly, are you moving from and to? For example, Long Island to Raleigh, or what?

What is your budget for this move?

GIJOE

Postby GIJOE » Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 am

Diane wrote:Where, exactly, are you moving from and to? For example, Long Island to Raleigh, or what?

What is your budget for this move?

Long Island to Charlotte.

Budget is somewhat flexible.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 18, 2007 12:02 pm

Joe,

Here are a couple of Long Island movers from the Superlist linked to below that have good reviews and comments here:
--Maher Van Lines (independent) in Islip, NY (Long Island).
This company has the phone 631-968-5088 and the website www.mahervanlines.com. As of 8/06 it had no BBB complaints over the past 36 months. Recommended by "Glad to Help" (industry person) for shipments from NY to FL because it runs straight trucks, as well as tractor-trailers, to FL, so that you avoid a shuttle in NYC. He added that it has very high quality drivers:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9521#69521
"movingmymom" posted a rave review of Maher for moving her mother's things to Georgia, praising especially the sales rep Pat and the driver Danny - delivery was in three days:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10386 (interstate)
"ballfam" posted an excellent review of Maher for a 3500-pound move to North Carolina in 3/07 at a cost of about $2000--Maher's weight estimate was more accurate than the estimates from some other companies:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13342 (interstate)

--Tufano Family Moving & Trucking, Inc. (independent) in Inwood.
This company has MC #192805 and the phone 516-239-5991. As of 1/07 it had 1 BBB complaint over the past 36 months. "Glad to Help" (industry person) commented that "they have a good reputation and move people frequently down south to Va,Nc,sc,ga and florida. If you are along this route they are a good choice for an estimate."
On the same thread, "cgcru002" posted in 1/07 that a co-worker had used them twice for local moves and liked them:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11684

You can click on the Superlist to see discussion of other companies. This is part of the Long Island listings - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1637#61637

I think this is a place to start. If the quotes are too high, consider using Broadway Express as the drivers know how to load delicate items and the trailers are air-ride. You can hire a high-rated company from eMove.com or workers from a local mover to help load.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

GIJOE

Postby GIJOE » Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 pm

WOW, Diane ............. I called Mahr Van Lines, by the way the number has changed to 631-277-5100. GREAT guy there by the name of Pat. I got a quote of $.50/pd and estimated my move at about 6500lbs ($3250). They weigh the truck before and after the packing and I am welcomed to go and witness it being done. They also said about 3-5 days for the actual transporting.

I do not know how Allied and Mayflower are glong to measure up, but Mahr was awesome in taking his time explaining everything and stressed there we NO additional charges and NO down payment what so ever.

Time will tell ...................... Allied comes on Monday.

Diane wrote:Joe,

Here are a couple of Long Island movers from the Superlist linked to below that have good reviews and comments here:
--Maher Van Lines (independent) in Islip, NY (Long Island).
This company has the phone 631-968-5088 and the website www.mahervanlines.com. As of 8/06 it had no BBB complaints over the past 36 months. Recommended by "Glad to Help" (industry person) for shipments from NY to FL because it runs straight trucks, as well as tractor-trailers, to FL, so that you avoid a shuttle in NYC. He added that it has very high quality drivers:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9521#69521
"movingmymom" posted a rave review of Maher for moving her mother's things to Georgia, praising especially the sales rep Pat and the driver Danny - delivery was in three days:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10386 (interstate)
"ballfam" posted an excellent review of Maher for a 3500-pound move to North Carolina in 3/07 at a cost of about $2000--Maher's weight estimate was more accurate than the estimates from some other companies:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13342 (interstate)

--Tufano Family Moving & Trucking, Inc. (independent) in Inwood.
This company has MC #192805 and the phone 516-239-5991. As of 1/07 it had 1 BBB complaint over the past 36 months. "Glad to Help" (industry person) commented that "they have a good reputation and move people frequently down south to Va,Nc,sc,ga and florida. If you are along this route they are a good choice for an estimate."
On the same thread, "cgcru002" posted in 1/07 that a co-worker had used them twice for local moves and liked them:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11684

You can click on the Superlist to see discussion of other companies. This is part of the Long Island listings - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1637#61637

I think this is a place to start. If the quotes are too high, consider using Broadway Express as the drivers know how to load delicate items and the trailers are air-ride. You can hire a high-rated company from eMove.com or workers from a local mover to help load.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Thanks for the updated phone number. Did you get a sense that the guy from Maher had heard of MovingScam.com?

The thing about these smaller companies is that you will be sure to have the driver and truck that pick up your stuff also deliver your stuff, in a "straight-through" move. Sometimes with van line agents the van line drivers get involved. If goods have to be transferred at all, it increases the possibility of damage and delay. So you should ask about that. Also, get a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate from each company - not a Nonbinding estimate.

GIJOE

Postby GIJOE » Fri May 18, 2007 12:39 pm

I asked and he said the driver I see at the house is the same one that will be delivering my goods. NO transeferring due to I would be the last pick up and first drop off.

He had not heard about movingscam.com but did say he has gotten some references from somewhere on the web, he was not sure.

Insurance is $200 for $10,000 with NO deductable. (sp?)

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 18, 2007 12:47 pm

That sounds like a good price for the insurance (actually called valuation). With a company like that, driving straight through, you have less possibility of damage, but it's always good to be safe. When I moved, most of the damage occurred not in transit but during the move-in.

If you talk to Pat again, tell him about MovingScam.com and that someone who used to work in the industry on Long Island recommended his company (along with some others). It's even possible that we might endorse the company someday if they continue to perform well and do self-hauls exclusively.

Caution him that he should not really be quoting people by the pound but should quote a total price for a given weight. There is a fine line, but quoting by the pound is a hallmark of the scammers. Also, is he saying that the price will depend totally on the weight with no upper limit on the cost? That is "OK" but it would be better if he would give you some kind of upper limit.

GIJOE

Postby GIJOE » Fri May 18, 2007 12:54 pm

There are price breaks at 5000 and 10000 pounds. I asked for a rough estimate on the phone and he gave me a quote of $3200.00. He will come by the house 3-4 weeks prior to the move if we select them and give us a more accurate number, and then do a weighing the day of.

Diane wrote:That sounds like a good price for the insurance (actually called valuation). With a company like that, driving straight through, you have less possibility of damage, but it's always good to be safe. When I moved, most of the damage occurred not in transit but during the move-in.

If you talk to Pat again, tell him about MovingScam.com and that someone who used to work in the industry on Long Island recommended his company (along with some others). It's even possible that we might endorse the company someday if they continue to perform well and do self-hauls exclusively.

Caution him that he should not really be quoting people by the pound but should quote a total price for a given weight. There is a fine line, but quoting by the pound is a hallmark of the scammers. Also, is he saying that the price will depend totally on the weight with no upper limit on the cost? That is "OK" but it would be better if he would give you some kind of upper limit.

Return to “Open Community”