Moving from Chicagoland Suburb to South Texas--Need Advice!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jluyka

Re: Moving from Chicagoland Suburb to South Texas--Need Advice!

Postby jluyka » Sun May 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks Diane, I get it now...

In the last few days since finding this site, I have contacted Allied (Berger Transfer & Storage, Inc. is the local company), BE and Planes online. Now I will just wait for there call backs...thanks a bunch!

I'll keep posting!

jluyka

Re: Moving from Chicagoland Suburb to South Texas--Need Advice! UPDATE

Postby jluyka » Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 am

So far here is what has been going on...

I have an in-home estimate with Bill Rosco (sp?) from Allied/Berger this afternoon.

I sent an email online to BE last week and heard back from Margaret yesterday morning who was very helpful. She stated she would send me an email with an estimate based on our conversation which I am still waiting on. I called her yesterday afternoon and left her a voicemail with my correct email address, just in case, since I hadn't received the email yet.

I have a Mayflower agent coming over to my place for an in-home estimate next week, after playing phone tag for about 5 days.

I have left 2 voicemails and sent 2 emails to Planes' Scott Johnson and have received one call back, we are still trying to setup a date/time for an in-home estimate. My guess is it will be sometime next week.

UGH! I'll keep you all posted!

jluyka

NW Chicago Suburb to SW TX - 5/17/07 UPDATE

Postby jluyka » Thu May 17, 2007 1:38 pm

So far I have obtained quotes from the following:
Full-Service
Bekins/Boyer-Rosene for $3177 for a little over 5,000 lbs.
Allied/Berger-$4109 for 7000 lbs. (this one included an extra bed that wasn't initially included when Bekins came over)
Freight
Broadway Express-$2782 for 16 ft. for about 5,000 lbs. (over the phone)
ABF-$3593 for 19 ft. (online)
Moovers-$5288-based on 8,000 lbs. (online)

As you can see, they vary quite a bit and with the exception of Bekins and Allied, I have provided all the same information. So far, I think I am leaning toward BE because of their reviews, customer service (Margaret Lustig), price and price inclusions.

I still have Mayflower and Planes setup to come to my home next week...I will then make my final decision.

My concern at this point are the variances between companies...I want to make sure that for one, I am getting an accurate quote and second, that my budget is not over-extended the day of the move.

We are also now considering movers to use at both locations. BE recommends emove.com and laborready.com, but when looking at those sites, I find an array of local companies at both ends. So if anyone has any recommendations of Labor/Movers for the Hoffman Estates, IL and the Laredo, TX area, kindly let me know!

Considering that I am planning our move, starting a new job, trying to sell my house and trying to determine to rent/buy at our new location...it really is nice to be able to come back to this site and get solid feedback, advice and opinions...I am SO grateful to all of you who keep up with this site and also to those who take the time to respond...Thank you!!!

...and the stress continues... :wink:

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Well, $1327 ( the diff between Berger and BE) is real money, but don't forget, you have to hire labor on both ends, probably $800 total, and then you are responsible for your own claims......I dunno, it's your call...
Chicago is a high priced labor market, it won't be cheap.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 17, 2007 2:28 pm

If Berger actually saw your things, I think its weight estimate is likely to be fairly accurate. If Planes agrees, then you will be even surer of the weight. Bekins could have estimated low to get the move.

I'm going to focus on BE for the moment. If you do have 7000 pounds, you can get about 450 pounds on each linear foot of the truck, so 7000 pounds would indeed require 16 feet. I don't think you would need 19 feet as ABF says. Since you can't get a refund from BE and you can usually get an extra foot on moving day if you need it, I would tend to reserve 15 feet. To me, using BE makes a lot of sense. I don't think the labor would be all that expensive. You should hire the BE driver, of course.

Regarding labor, use only high-rated companies on eMove.com - that is the way to choose.

jluyka

Postby jluyka » Wed May 23, 2007 11:04 pm

UPDATE 5/23/07

Hello Everyone! So I now have my 2 final Full-Service quotes:
Planes: $4142 peak season, $3717 non-peak...6700 lbs.
Mayflower: $3644...6633 lbs.
I forgot the mention that I also had McCollister over about 3 weeks ago and they quoted over $7,000 so that was out of the question!

I have no idea what to do...my mind is spinning with all the different things to consider...will someone please just tell me what to do!?!? :lol: Honestly I think I am just going to compare reviews and whichever has the most Positive, that's who I will go with...

Or maybe I can consider the difference in price including the extra insurance offered, which I think would be wise to buy. Is something that is normally recommended (extra insurance coverage)?

Someone tell me what to do! :shock: hahaha

Thanks in advance!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 am

You can't go wrong with either Planes or Mayflower, and their quotes are pretty close, so pick the one you like the best.....

Return to “Open Community”