Moving from Boston to San Francisco...soon

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Josh

Re: Moving from Boston to San Francisco...soon

Postby Josh » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:19 am

Ken,

Thank you for your reply. Would you suggest getting an in home estimate from them since they don't do many interstate shipments?

With as many movers as Bostonians have to choose from, I think the answer would be no.

At least we can document here that they would be legit enough to get a local move estimate from!

Josh

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:34 am

Ken, thanks so much for clarifying about Gentle Giant, which I also had been confused about. If a person wanted to get estimates from agents of a couple of major van lines other than United in the Boston area, are there any agents that you could suggest they contact? Not that you would be "recommending" them . . . only that you wouldn't have heard anything bad about them. People usually want to get more than one estimate. We have a lot of problems advising people who write in from the Boston area because it's such a hotbed of scammers.

IMovePeople

Postby IMovePeople » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:03 pm

I am not Ken - and I do not work for this agent - nor van line, don't know if this is close enough for you, but here's one I've heard has a good reputation:

Wm Duggan/Atlas
800/561-4808
Movers are People, Too!

Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:25 pm

Diane,

Although I've lived in Boston all my life, and have been in the moving industry for 8 years or so now, my experience with agents for other van lines is limited...

One to try is Wakefield Distribution, an agent for Allied - you can reach them at (978) 777-5630 - they are based in Danvers, MA. They are the biggest Allied agent in the area, and I have heard good things about them in the past. They have a reputation in the area of being a quality agent, but I can not personally speak for them.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:32 pm

Ken,

As a professional mover in Boston, what is your opinion on my observations about movers based in Allston/Brighton/Watertown?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:40 pm

Tyrone,

I wouldn't go so far as to classify the Brighton/Allston/Watertown area of MA as a northern version of Jessup, MD or the state of Florida, but yes, there are certainly scam movers afoot up here. As much as everyone is sick of hearing it here, the best advice up here is to "stick to the majors" and always have an in home survey done, regardless of the size of your shipment.

nay

Postby nay » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:45 am

Diane, thank you so much for your words of wisdom! Isaac's relocation was here yesterday for an estimate, and I got a very bad impression of them. There were 2 salesmen, 1 was in training, and when the main guy called in to the main office to get me my price, he kept yelling at whomever was on the other end of the phone. Also, since I need to store my stuff for 5 months and move in October 1 (because my new job begins on the 4th) I wanted to be sure that they could accomodate my situation. The rep told me that their window of delivery (assuming my stuff would be stored in Boston) would be 1-2 weeks! Is this normal? Also, assuming I go with someone big like United or North American (Rainbow is their name here), wouldn't it be best to store in SF, to ensure that my stuff could be delivered on time? During the 5 months my stuff will be in storage, I will be living in LA studying for the bar exam, and then traveling throughout Africa, so I won't be able to check how my stuff was loaded into storage no matter where my belongings are stored.

I now have appointments with United, North American (their Rainbow affiliate), and Atlas. I haven't yet cancelled my appointment with Eagle Van Lines. Their license number is either MDPU 30805, or ICC # MC 331540. Should I cancel? How do I look up these numbers?

As far as Gentle Giant goes, I'd be uncomfortable moving with a company, no matter how reputable, that doesn't move cross country very often. I also don't like the idea of the job getting contracted out to a third party. So I'm going with Josh's suggestion and crossing them off my list.

Thank you so much for all of your input!

Nay

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:52 am

Nay,

If it were me, I would go ahead and ship the items out to SF now. The pricing is at the cheapest it's gonna be for a while and you will be able to get a local crew to deliver it out on the day you prefer.

With 5 months of storage, it might not be a bad idea to get a mini storage unit out there and have it delivered to the place you designate.

If you want the mover to store it out there, they will have to contact the destination agent and get pricing from them. Either way, with your short delivery window of 10/1, it will be almost impossible to ship your items cross country and have a one day delivery window.

That's just my advice!

Josh

nay

Postby nay » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:08 am

Thanks Josh!

I just got off the phone with a Mayflower agent who's also coming to my place to give me an estimate. He warned me that I should prepare to spend $6,000. Really? He's still invited to my house, but I am pretty dismayed that I have to shell out half of a downpayment for this move. Pretty ironic.

I will definitely store in SF. Is it normal policy to pay for the unloading into storage, and pay again for them to move stuff into your home? I guess I need to start researching my own storage facility in SF to see if I can get away with less than $100 per month.

Neal

Postby Neal » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:25 am

Nay.. there is a U-haul storage on Paul st in S.f Good luck

Ken

Postby Ken » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:16 am

Nay,

When dealing with temporary storage in transit, it is absolutely normal to pay for the handling into storage (usually called "first day") and the delivery out of storage. In fact, this is where the majority of the storage related charges will come from.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:43 am

If you deliver into a mini-storage at destination, you or a representative will need to be present for the delivery. You do have the correct notion to store out there so that you can get a one day delivery.

If you decide that storing with a van line agent is your best bet, you want to attempt to research the agents in SF area. You can call them and ask what discount they will offer on your storage, or you can have your rep do it. I'm not so sure on the rep from Isaac's. Wonder why he would have to call into his office to get the price? His quote on the transit time is accurate however.

It is much more expensive to store with a van line agent, but the benefit is that your goods are covered throughout the move and you do not need to be present for the delivery into storage (since there is no change in liability).

You mentioned the Mayflower agent "ballparked" $6K before he came out. How much weight to you think you have? Or that was based upon?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:46 am

Nay, thanks for the confirmation of my research results on Isaac's. Rule them out immediately.

According to www.safersys.org, Eagle Van Lines LLC (MC #331540), has addresses both in Watertown and in Brighton and its legal name is Ayal Buchler. The majority of scam companies are run by Israelis. The company lists NO trucks and NO drivers on safersys.org and it was apparently operating without insurance (and without licensing authority) between 2001 and 2003. I would definitely cancel your appointment with Eagle unless you want to do some impromptu "research" for this website and report back to us.

I would be interested in how the quotes from Isaac's and Eagle compare with those from reputable companies. Good luck!

nay

Postby nay » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:06 pm

I live in a 3-bedroom apartment with 2 roommates, so I don't have a lot. I don't even own any dishes. If it really is going to cost around 6K, I may just sell all of my stuff and start from scratch. (Although that will be an enormous hastle come late September when I need to get settled for my new job.) I have a big kitchen table, 6 chairs, a very fabulous (brand new) armoire entertainment center from Pottery Barn that I got for only $500 because they had screwed me over in the past, a kitchen hutch, a queen bed, mattress & box spring. Those are the big items.

The other dilemma is my 1998 Beetle, which I don't think I have the time to drive cross country. I've quoted those moves, and that's another grand. Arrrgh. One of my undergraduate professors once said that she aspired to owning her possessions and not letting her possessions own her. I really understand what she meant now...

I guess I'll see what the hard estimates are from the serious movers (Atlas, United, Allied, Mayflower) who will be here next week, and decide if it's worthwhile.

By the way, Gentle Giant Movers has an excellent reputation around Massachusetts for doing local moves. So if anyone needs to move within state, they are highly recommended by everyone I've spoken with here.

Nay

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:22 pm

I worked this up, assuming 2100 lbs, 5 months storage and local delivery. I come up with $4,000 to $4,500. That is using the 400N tariff.

What was Isaac's price? Where did they offer storage.

Return to “Open Community”