Moving From New York to Texas in just a few short days!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Samitoro

Moving From New York to Texas in just a few short days!

Postby Samitoro » Sat May 05, 2007 3:26 pm

We just found your website today and are kicking ourselves for not having found it sooner. We’ve been trying to find a decent company to move our small one bedroom from the UES to Dallas and wasted too much time on useless companies. After finding the site we put in a request for an estimate from Dahill but haven’t heard anything yet. Oz was on my list until I read some of the postings here. I feel really out of sorts because when OZ gave me an in-person estimate things seemed just fine, but thinking back on it they were a little aggressive when I told them I still wanted to think things over. So now I’m back to square one without much time left. Almost every place I’ve received quotes from measure items by cubic feet and then estimate weight; from what everyone here has been saying, that’s a definite warning sign.

Now we’re moving in 15 days and still haven’t selected a company. We’ve been bombarded with estimates since we used a few “Get an estimate from 6 movers now!” websites. There’s just too many to sift through. We understand now that what we’ve been offered by these companies might sound good but will probably be doubled by the time they deliver. Most estimates have been about $1500 since the only big furniture we have is a couch and bed. It’s hard to let that price go but after reading this page we’re assuming we’ll pay double for a reputable company.

PLEASE HELP! If you know of any good companies we’re in desperate need!
:(
C.

peggyw

Re: Moving From New York to Texas in just a few short days!

Postby peggyw » Sat May 05, 2007 3:51 pm

My daughter just moved from Western Mass to Austin TX last week, they used William B. Meyer out of Hartford and NY and were very pleased.
www.williambmeyer.com . They are a United agent, and Armstrong Relocation, another United agent, was the connecting mover. Everything went like clockwork, as far as I know. I will post a more detailed message about the move after I talk to her.
Peggy

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 05, 2007 4:03 pm

I look forward to reading your review, Peggy. Wm. Meyer is good but actually HQd in Hartford, I believe, and since Dahill is Mayflower they are both UniGroup companies and both might use United or Mayflower drivers. So in a sense the poster already has a UniGroup company.

I would suggest calling either University Van Lines in Rahway, NJ, or V. Santini (Atlas) in Westchester/the Bronx for a quote from another van line.

It's probably also worth giving a call to Moovers, Inc. and Delancey Street-NY on the chance that they might have a truck with space on it going to Texas at the time you want to move.

I assume that you've already checked out the Superlist linked to below, under "New York" (several posts).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat May 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Here's a list of movers and reviews in the NY area:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1631#61631

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Samitoro

Postby Samitoro » Sat May 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply! :D

I'll give University and V. Santini a call on Monday to see what they say. I put in a request for a call back from Moovers Inc. so that's another place that I'm hoping has room available.

This website has helped us so much in trying to figure out what we're doing. We can't thank you enough. I'll keep updating this as we continue with the process.
C.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 05, 2007 7:36 pm

I'm glad the website helped you. I think you might actually be more likely to find space with Delancey than with Moovers simply because Delancey has a location near Santa Fe and I think they travel your route more than Moovers does. The two companies are very similar.

Samitoro

Postby Samitoro » Mon May 07, 2007 3:26 pm

The only company that has availability from your recommendations is Wade Odell Wade. Jim Murphey worked out a quote from my very detailed inventory and will hopefully be able to do an in person pretty soon. I gave him the same list as the scammers and he was only between $500-700 dollars more. He was very friendly and professional over the phone and has been keeping good communication with me via email.

If for some reason it doesn't work out I think we're going to move ourselves even though it will be alot more money. The rental truck alone is $1700 with Penske.

I've included the non-binding estimate below.

TRANSPORTATION ( 2,500 lb)
Transportation (3) 2500 4457.25 - 67.0% 1470.89
IR Surcharge 4.00% - 67.0% 58.84
Fuel Surcharge 7.00% - 67.0% 102.96
Origin Fee Origin 2500 x 19.96/100 - 67.0% 164.67
Destination Fee Dest. 2500 x 4.41/100 - 67.0% 36.38
--------$ 1833.74
The value of my shipment is: ______________________________________
Basic Coverage (60 cents per pound per article) --------$ 0.00
Full Value (minimum value 15,000) 1. $ 0 Deductible 198.00
2. $ 250 Deductible 140.00
3. $ 500 Deductible 109.00
CARTONS, PACKING & UNPACKING:
Container Packing Unpacking
Qty Rate Total Qty Rate Total Qty Rate Total
Mattress Qn/King 2 40.68 81.36 2 25.52 51.04 2 16.55 33.10
Containers 81.36 - 67.0% 26.85
Packing Origin (3) 51.04 - 67.0% 16.84
--------$ 43.69
EXTRA LABOR:
Shuttle Origin (3) 2500 1231.00 - 67.0% 406.23
--------$ 406.23
TOTAL NON BINDING ESTIMATED COST .. $ 2,283.66

If the total charges for the listed articles and services exceed the amount on the non-binding estimate by more than 10%, then upon your request, the carrier must
relinquish possession of your shipment upon payment of the estimate plus 10%, plus payment in full for any services not shown in the estimate. You are obligated to pay
the balance of the total charge within thirty days of delivery.
110% of ESTIMATED CHARGES: $ 2,512.03
Last edited by Samitoro on Mon May 07, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 07, 2007 3:35 pm

WOW is very good. When the rep comes to your apartment, maybe he can make the Nonbinding estimate a GNTE (Option C) estimate, although they may have a minimum weight. I see that they're charging you $400 for a shuttle (not too bad in NYC). I hope it works out.

Samitoro

Re: Moving From New York to Texas in just a few short days! Updated

Postby Samitoro » Wed May 30, 2007 8:48 am

We just completed a successful move with Wade Odell Wade.

Two boxes were damaged but nothing major and so far nothing seems broken. However, most of their stickers had fallen off the boxes and we had a difficult time checking to see which boxes we had and which boxes we didn’t. In the end we were missing one large box which held our snow boots and winter coats. I called the shortage number on the form and the woman who called me back seemed genuinely concerned and promised a thorough investigation into tracking and recovering the box. Now, having said that, the move was pretty smooth and we thought WOW did a great job.

The original work crew was very professional and fast. They had clean pressed uniforms and worked with efficiency. Not only that, but they actually showed up when they said they would. Originally they estimated us at 2100lbs from my emailed inventory. When Jim came to do the in-
person estimate he gave us a not-to-exceed binding estimate for 3000lbs ($2500 with shuttle). Once it was loaded and weighed they called us with the total which was cheaper than estimated! $2100 for 2100lbs.

The delivery crew in Texas was just a husband and wife team and to their credit they were on the dot with their arrival time and worked in a down pour and flooded area. One missing box, two slightly beat up boxes, and a dented metal trashcan seems like just part of moving cross country. In fact we expected alot more wear and tear since I had banged up more boxes when I originally moved us to New York in a rented truck. The only thing that bothered me was the delivery crew said they had received the trashcan dented when it was in fact brand new. Unless the first crew dented it then they lied. Really it was very minor since I simply opened the can and punched the can’s dent back into shape. Just seemed strange they would lie about something so small. Overall good experience and we’ll use them again for our next move. We’ll send another update with the outcome of the missing box as soon as we find out more. For no hassle moving and honest estimates this is a great company aND WE CAN'T THANK THIS SITE ENOUGH FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!!!!!
C.

farrah7031

Re: **Moving From New York to Texas in just a few short days!

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:28 am

That's great news!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Samitoro,

Thanks so much for this good review. If you see this and want to post the name of the agent company in Dallas, I'll make a note of it as well as the name of the woman who was going to track down your missing box (I assume she was with the van line?).

If the unloading crew did lie about denting the trashcan, probably they were afraid that most of their pay might be docked and they're probably being paid very, very little. Unacceptable but understandable.

So it seems as if the final price you paid was very close to what the scammers quoted, and yet you got a quality move - great. You paid $2100 - only a little more than what you said you would have paid for a Penske truck rental ($1700). Then you would have had huge fuel expenses, plus the hassle. This is a good example of how at times moving with a van line agent can be a real bargain. I notice from the WOW reviews that somebody else got a very good price from Jim Murphy.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Samitoro

Postby Samitoro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:16 pm

After almost a month we had not heard a peep from WOW regarding the missing box in our shipment. Today, the box was sitting on our front porch, as a delivery from UPS. Everything we were missing was found inside the box and we nearly fell over with happiness.

I know we've said it before but WOW is really top notch service. We thought so before the recovery of our box and now we're even more convinced that this is a great company for long distance moves. They corrected the problem and recovered our box.

The box was large and heavy and it had to cut pretty deep into their profit, but this company was more interested in having a customer who would be willing to come back then saving the postage.

It would have been nice to hear from them to let them know it was going to take longer than two weeks but we are actually really glad it happened this way. We had resigned to never getting the box back and when we saw it on the front porch we were overcome with happiness.

It was a great feeling and this is a great company.
C.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 am

Isn't it nice to have GOOD surprises after a move? :wink:

weem

Postby weem » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:55 am

The driver was not necessarily lying about the trash can---most van lines do internal inventory "exceptions" if more than one moving crew is used on a move. So if you had storage involved, or if the shuttle went to the warehouse for reloading---the first crew could have done the damage and your delivery driver may have made a written exception so he would not be charged back for your claim.

Return to “Open Community”