*denver to bay area, ca w/ agents in california?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jared

*denver to bay area, ca w/ agents in california?

Postby Jared » Tue May 29, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm being relocated by a new employer to the Bay Area and they've recommended three agents to me that they work with but all of them are based out of Northern California. If I call one of them to get an estimate, are they going to refer me to an agent of the same line here? I'm assuming the company picking up my stuff is the one that I enter into a contract with.

Thanks to everyone that posts on this site -- all this information is invaluable.

PMueller

Re: denver to bay area, ca w/ agents in california?

Postby PMueller » Wed May 30, 2007 6:17 am

As you contact the 3 companies, advise them it was at your new employer's direction and identify your employer. Each of those offices will probably then contact an agent of their van line affiliation to schedule a time to come to your residence and access the services required. The origin agent (the office that visited your home) will then provide all information back to the company in CA. That company will then price your move and provide the contract for services. They will be responsible for all services while they may utilize the origin agent for packing and origin services.

That should be the "SOP" if the company you work for has contracts or past experiences with the 3 companies. If there are no contracts or past track record, they may just refer you to an agent in your origin area for you to begin the process. Since they are referring you to 3 companies in the destination area it would lead me to believe there is no contracts for services in place, but rather a competitive bid amongst the 3 van line providers. Either way, if your employer has requested you utilize a certain company, they've probably had some past history with them in some capacity of services being performed.

Would you mind disclosing who your company has referred you to?
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Jared

Postby Jared » Wed May 30, 2007 10:58 am

You're right -- my employer does require a competitive bid for the process but I get the impression that they've used all three of these movers in recent memory.

Two of the 3 are mentioned in the Nor Cal section of the long thread talking about agents in each state. I guess the third one is run out of Michigan and I didn't look it up yet.

Excel Moving (Mayflower International)
Mike Casey tmcmove@aol.com
510-324-9701 x136 or 800-392-3596

Rossiter Relocation (United Van Lines)
Alma Anguiano
650-462-4800 or 800-227-5081

Stevens Worldwide Van Lines
Dave Mocny dmocny@stevensworldwide.com
989-714-8176 or 800-765-3836 x423

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed May 30, 2007 11:12 am

Jared, I know Stevens has an agent in Northern Cal and I used to know the GM of that location. Any of those 3 agents will be able to do a good job for you.....
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 pm

As a Unigroup agent who regularly deals with all major van lines, I would rank the three as following.

#1 Rossitor
#2 Stevens
#3 Excel

The advantage that Excel has is that All American in Denver has a large hauling fleet, and I would make sure Excel named them as origin agent, and would probably ask that they haul it as well. Both Excel and Rossitor are Unigroup companies, and would double your hauling capabilities, as the order could be allianced to the other Van Line.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Jared

Postby Jared » Wed May 30, 2007 11:56 pm

Thanks to you both for your replies. In the end, the relocation coordinator at my new job really gets to decide whom I contract with unless there's something glaringly out of place with one of the three.

Is it reasonable to ask the estimator for possible dates on when they could do the pick-up? I realize that it's high season and I probably won't have many choices.

I'll post more as the situation develops. Thanks again.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu May 31, 2007 5:29 am

Your date discussion is best handled by the office that is coordinating your move, that would be each of the contacts you speak with from the 3 offices recommended by your employer instead of the individual reps that come into your home to survey. As you are discussing your move in what we call a "pre-move consultation" let them know what your desires are on dates. This is usually done within 24 hrs of receiving the request to provide estimates from your employer or when you call them. They each can begin pre-planning so that when your company decides they can be ready to move forward. It's good that you have a preunderstanding of the peak season and realize some dates may not be possible, but they will work with you to get the best available and account business actually takes precedence over the individual consumer. Also advise your relocation coordinator at your new job of your preferred dates with the moving companies, he/she can make that part of the request in their order to the company.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Return to “Open Community”