Omaha to San Antonio need help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
omahawagon

Omaha to San Antonio need help

Postby omahawagon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:25 am

This is not my first time moving, but it will be the first time with a professional moving company. I am in Omaha Nebraska and I am going to be moving to San Antonio Texas in Early July.

I was looking for some companies on the web and came across patt's moving located in fremont, about 20 miles from Omaha. The guy called me right away to setup an in-home estimate. The owner let me know right off the bat that they just go their license to do out of state moves.

The guy came out the next day with his tablet pc and did an estimate of my whole house. It took about an hour and a half. He printed me and estimate and left me with a folder with some brochures and what not.

Over the next week I had a few of the big names come out to do an estimate they all came up with the same weight, give or take. Some of these other salespeople were somewhat pushy with me. Wanting to know how much the other peoples bids were before they even started.

Now I am comparing my estimates and trying to make a decision. I have 2 non-binding estimates and 2 binding estiamtes. The estimate from patts moving was a binding estimate and its a little higher than the others. I am thinking about giving them a shot. They told me that they only run 24' trucks so they can not give a price like the big companies because they will be driving back empty.

So I guess my question is, should I stick with the big name companies, or would it be ok to go with the new movers?

farrah7031

Re: Omaha to San Antonio need help

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:46 am

If it was a local move, it would be okay to to use the small mover. But since you're moving interstate, I would stick with the bigger name movers.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am

I would call I-Go, a United agent, has been for over 50 years, and I know the owner, Steve Nogg. They will do you a professional job at a fair price.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:29 am

Can you ask the two companies to turn their Non-Bindings into Bindings? Then you'd have a safe comparison for all.

omahawagon

Postby omahawagon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:12 am

I had another estimator come out today. This guy came up with 6200 lbs. He gave me a binding estimate which I was hoping is was going to be a guarenteed not to exceed estimate but in the minimum weight box he wrote 6200. Does that mean I will be locked in no matter what for the price he gave me?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:51 am

If it's just a plain Binding, yes, that price is it, no more, no less (except for extra services if needed). Did you ask him if it could be a GNTE, or can you now? Some companies don't do them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 am

omahawagon,

I assume that you've looked at the Superlist under Nebraska to see what has been said here about various companies in your area, but if not, here is the relevant post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7657#57657

I just added Archie's comments about I-Go and also an entry for Patt's Moving Services. From a Google search it looks to me as if Patt's was a local mover until very recently, because it was granted authority to do intra-Nebraska moves within a 150-mile radius of Fremont only in April 2007.
http://www.psc.state.ne.us/home/NPSC/minutes/070403.pdf
On www.safersys.org it is listed as having only 1 truck and 1 driver, and it got its interstate authority only on May 15, 2007. It is hard to see how Mr. Patterson would do your move except by hiring a rental van, since he would be giving up local business to do so. Although he may be a nice man, I agree with Farrah that it would be safer to go with a larger company.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

omahawagon

Postby omahawagon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:56 am

I though I should do a follow up on my move. After everything you all said I decided to go with Patt's Moving. They did a great job. They charged me the same amount of the estimate, and had my stuff to my new house in two days. I would recomend them to my friends. I thank you all for the input.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 am

Glad it worked out for you. How much did you end up paying, if you don't mind me asking?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:06 am

Also, did they use their own truck or a rental van? Thanks for this good review and I'll add it to the Superlist.

omahawagon

Postby omahawagon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:13 pm

havent had much time to reply so sorry for taking so long.

well my stuff weighed about 6,500 lbs and it cost me about 3,800 with the 250 dollar ductable insurance.

No rental truck. It was a newer looking straight truck. It had their name and license info on it.

Thanks again everbody for the help, I like this site.

Return to “Open Community”