*Small town PA to small town WA... in-home estimates?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Endi

*Small town PA to small town WA... in-home estimates?

Postby Endi » Tue May 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi everyone!

So I'm moving from Gettysburg, PA to a small town in Washington state. And there seem to be a shortage of movers in the area who are willing to come to my place and do an estimate. I spoke with an Allied agent in Hagerstown who was rude about it, and a nicer Town & Country agent who was nicer but would only quote me the rates-per-weight. The rates seemed reasonable, but of course he wouldn't do a GNTE estimate for me.

I do have a United Agent (Zody's) coming and their ballpark estimate was $3500 for around 5,000 pound (1-br apartment with no appliances to move, weighed in at around 4,500 pounds when I moved 10 months ago). Shelly Moving is also coming out, though they ballparked $4200 for me. (Town and country ballparked 4700 with a weight of about 5,000 pounds.

So... any tips on what to do when the estimates differ by a lot? Am I safest by only choosing between the two movers willing to come to my place?

Finally, has anyone heard anything about Glamour Moving out of Westiminster, MD (dot #517243). They were mentioned in passing like 3 years ago on the board.

farrah7031

Re: Small town PA to small town WA... in-home estimates?

Postby farrah7031 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Glamour Moving has been doing interstate moves since the early 90s.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

It appears they're an independent family company. They only have 2 complaints with the BBB. They look pretty good. Will they come and do an in home estimate for you?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 22, 2007 6:22 pm

They've got 12 trucks and 6 drivers (they've got to ahve more than 6 for real, though). This might be too small a company to go from PA to Washington State. Let us know what they say.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed May 23, 2007 8:27 am

Zody's is a good united agent, and has been forever......

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 pm

I would recommend only choosing from the companies that come to your home and provide an in home estimate. When they are in your home request a GNTE (guaranteed not to exceed) estimate. Am I safe in assuming that Shelly's is an Allied agent? If yes, they are a decent Allied agent (Allied's version of a GNTE will be a TPG/GRR estimate) and yes, Zody's is a veteran per say with United and is a good agent.

My brother got married many years ago (about 25) in your small town. He was married in the First Presbyterian church there as his wife and family were from an even smaller town in the area, Biglerville! Her parents still have a home there but spend there winters in FL. That is the one and only time I've been to PA - but the area was beautiful and so much history there.

Sorry for the side tracked paragraph above.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Endi

Postby Endi » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Hello everyone! Thanks for the tips, here and in PM. (And yes, PMueller, Gettysburg is a lovely town! I'll be sorry to leave, though excited at moving to the land of Starbuck's. ;))

So here's the rundown on the three agents actually willing to come estimate my stuff:

1. Zody's--the agent was punctual, professional, and generally quite pleasant. He estimated that I had 4,000 pounds, and quoted me a price of $3509.89 to move across the country.
-My hangup: that he can't grant a GNTE and says it's all done strictly by weight. Now y'all have reassured me that Zody's is alright, but I like the peace of mind of GNTE...

2. Shelley Moving and Storage--again, a punctual, professional, and very cheery agent. No on-the-spot computer printout of the estimate, but they got back to me within a few hours with the estimate, one for the first half of the month I want to move, one for the second (prices changed midmonth, and I appreciated seeing the difference for my somewhat flexible move dates!). It's a GNTE quote of $3574
-Small hangup: the estimate was for about 3000 pounds, and I'm concerned that is way low. I'm happy to take my excellent GNTE quote, but is the actual driver going to be difficult if I have more stuff?

3. Pro Moving & Storage: a North American Vanlines agent--punctual and professional, though not as outgoing as the other two agents (but still perfectly fine!). Also couldn't draw up the estimate on the spot, but also emailed it within a few hours. It also appears to be a GNTE. He estimated my stuff at 4400 pounds, for a price of $4851.46.
-Hangup: obvisouly, that it's $1200 more than the others. Also, on a minor note, he didn't give me the "guide to your moving rights" or whatever that thing is that I thought agents are supposed to give you. :D

4. I tried calling South Hills, since they got such high reviews on this board, but they gave me the phone call runaround and never got back to me about scheduling an actual visit. So they're off the list.

So given all that, I'm leaning toward Shelley, despite the fact that I'm perversely suspicious of the lower estimates--and worried about the weight differential. Any opinions or advice?

Diane

Re: *Small town PA to small town WA... in-home estimates?

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 pm

You might want to make sure that the Allied estimate is actually the equivalent of a GNTE. It could be a Total Price Guarantee (TPG) quote, which is the equivalent of a Binding where your price can't go up OR down regardless of the weight. That might be OK since the quote is so low (they are probably giving you a high discount). I wouldn't worry too much about the driver being upset on this one. I would take it.

People have said before that South Hills was unresponsive.

Endi

Postby Endi » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:39 pm

So looking over the Shelly's estimate again, there is this important addendum:

"Total charges are binding but can be adjusted in the event of a major addition or subtraction of items to move, packing to be done, etc. Differences such as these must be addressed at least three days prior to the actual move. "

So... should I call back and tell them that they radically underestimated my stuff and take it from there?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:37 am

Tell them that you are concerned that the weight may go over. Don't tell them that they have grossly underestimated the weight. After all, you have no way of knowing that. I still think you will be OK with them, but it DOES appear that they have given you a Binding (not GNTE) estimate. Frankly, the quote is good enough that I wouldn't make an issue of it.

Endi

Postby Endi » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:30 am

Thanks so much, Diane!

Endi

Update again: *Small town PA to small town WA...

Postby Endi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 am

Hi again, everyone!

So I contacted Shelly's (Allied) again about the weight differential, and they continued to be pleasant and pretty sure that they felt good about their estimate of their weight/cube size for my move. They moved the price up a bit, putting it at $3700 "total price guarantee." Which I guess means I won't get any money back, but it falls under my company's budget so it's fine.

Final question: is it customary these days to pre-pay by credit card 5 days in advance? When I moved last year I believe I forked over the credit card on the day of the move...

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:14 am

I'm curious about Zody's. Unigroup estimates aren't called GNTE. The estimate terms are non binding, fully binding, and binding not-to-exceed.
If the sales person mentioned it's by weight, perhaps you should contact him/her and ask if the charges are based on the binding not-to-exceed estimate. That means if your weight is less than the estimated weight, your charges are adjusted downward. I would be surprised if they wouldn't bind your estimate after giving you a visual.

What kind of transit and delivery schedule did you receive from the companies who gave you visual estimates.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Endi

Postby Endi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:21 am

As best I recall, I asked the Zody's agent for "binding or less" and he said they didn't do that--final price would be on weight. So I didn't really follow up, because I decided to go with another company who would do some kind of binding. As it turns out now, Zody's and Shelly ended up within about $200 of each other, while Pro Movers was $1000 more expensive.

All three companies gave me a 6-17 day delivery window, though they said they could narrow it down upon pick-up.

(Though my contract from Shelly has a SIX WEEK delivery window that I'm asking about before I sign!)

Return to “Open Community”