moving from NJ to CO. 2 quotes, 1 more coming

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movin' west

moving from NJ to CO. 2 quotes, 1 more coming

Postby movin' west » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:08 am

Hi,

Thanks for this helpful site! We've been trying to get this move from Princeton, NJ to Colorado Springs, CO firmed up as it's coming up very quick -- June 28th.

After using this site we thought we had it cleared with Moovers several weeks ago, but then at the last moment of our negotiations/estimates they said they were booked until August!

So it's taken us another week to get people out for new estimates. We have a small 2-bedroom apartment (about 650 sq ft) but packed because of kids and books, plus a storage unit 5 X 10, not completely packed.

Using the Moovers' self-inventory we came to almost exactly 1000 cu ft.

We've had a home estimate with Alan Kaufman of Shannon Transport, an Atlas agent, and he estimated 7000 lbs, $5385 including charges for shuttle service from our apartment (can't get big truck in) and a stop at the storage unit. We're packing everything except furniture.
www.ShannonTransport.com
6 Berry Drive, Unit 1
Hainesport, NJ 08036
1-800-969-2252 / 1-609-784-7700

Amir came from Hercules Movers and wanted to do the move based on cu ft, although he also gave a quote on weight. He came up with the same amount of cu ft / weight. They wouldn't charge for the shuttle service or the extra stop, and his estimate was $4.25 / cu ft or $0.65 / lb making it $4562 by cu ft or $4878 by lb.
We're suspicious about the cubic foot basis but a friend had a good experience with Hercules last summer. They offered $100 off coupon at delivery. They want at least 50% on credit card when they load and rest cashiers check at delivery.
www.HerculesMovers.com
1576 Hart St.
Rahway, NJ 07065
1-866-770-1990
PCNJ: 00817
MC: 399873
NY DOT: T35226
US DOT: 929343 (all numbers from the folder Amir gave us)

On Monday we're getting an estimate from Bohren's. Over the phone they said that 7000 lbs from NJ to CO would be about $4800 - $5100, but that didn't include possible charges for shuttle or the storage unit stop. They didn't want to give more without seeing the stuff.
Bohren's Corporate Headquarters
3 Applegate Drive South
Robbinsville, NJ 08691
(800) 326-4736
(609) 208-1470
Fax: (609) 208-1471
E-mail: relocate@bohrensmoving.com
Web: http://www.bohrensmoving.com

Neither Shannon nor Hercules went to the storage unit. We could describe the contents with good detail, though.

Are there any other companies you suggest we try? (Dahill, Delancy St, and University Van Lines are all booked for our date)

Thanks so much! This move is all pretty stressful but it helps a lot to have this site.

MusicMom

Re: moving from NJ to CO. 2 quotes, 1 more coming

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:34 am

So if Hercules is willing to let you do a Credit Card payment for the half due up front, why not for the end result? And why half up front? Reputable movers don't require up front payments. And was your friend's good move local or long-distance? They are two different animals, and you're going a LONG way. Plus their quote is much lower than the others (how do they not charge for an expensive shuttle?). I'm kinfof not feeling good about them.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:37 am

AVOID Hercules:

--Hercules Movers, Inc. (independent) in Rahway (also in NYC).
AVOID this company, which has the website www.herculesmoversinc.com and the phone 201-770-1990 or 732-396-8883. In 1/07 I was told that it had acquired American Movers (formerly North American/Global) in Long Branch. Although it is not certain that this Hercules is connected with the dubious Hercules HQd in California (the license numbers are different), in 5/07 a rep from the Rahway Hercules quoted somebody by cubic feet and there are coupons on the website, both of which are red flags:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13555

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:42 am

Farrah's much more direct than I.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:00 pm

You might ask Sinclair (Mayflower) for a quote as people have said good things about them here.

I assume that all of your quotes are/will be Nonbinding since a storage unit is involved. Just be aware that your cost will go up if the weight is higher than the estimate. Otherwise I think you are on the right track as long as you reject Hercules.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

movin' west

Postby movin' west » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We're getting two more estimates on Monday -- from Bohren's and Sinclair (thanks for that recommendation, Diane). Both have been good to deal with so far and Sinclair was especially helpful in calling us back with an earlier date for the estimate, since we're getting nervous about how quickly the move date is approaching.

We'll keep you posted about the move. (Now if only we could get rid of more before we pack up!)

lizks

Postby lizks » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi - I'm also moving from NJ on June 28, and have gotten an estimate from Hercules (over phone, and I'm making an appt. to have them come out)- I know they're on the avoid list, but the reasoning doesn't seem all that bad to me. One cubic foot quote and internet coupons? Does anyone have any concrete experience with them?

They quoted me $1650 for a move from NJ to Worcester, MA. University and WOW are booked. All Star quoted me $3000 on the phone, Atlas $3100 after an in-home estimate.

This is our first move so I'm very wary but the woman I have been talking to seems great and has been very responsive.

?? any more info out there? thanks! I'm scrambling.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:48 pm

lizks wrote:This is our first move so I'm very wary but the woman I have been talking to seems great and has been very responsive.

Yes, they SEEM great, and are always very responsive. Please, coming from someone who was scammed, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They may charge you less initially, but in the end you WILL pay more - either by damages they won't pay you for, or lost items, items held hostage, bumping up the weight/cost, or just having a delay (up to 30 days past the delivery date) in your shipment. It's not worth it.

Have a United, North American, Allied, Atlas, Mayflower agent do another in home estimate. They will give you much more realistic pricing. June 30th is THE BUSIEST MOVING DAY OF THE YEAR.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:02 pm

Try calling Shea Moving in Queens at www.sheamoving.com on the chance that they could move you. Their pricing is usually pretty good. You might have to be flexible on the moving date.

I personally would be frightened to use Hercules. For a supposedly full-service move, the price alone tells you that something's got to give. If cost is a concern, please consider using one or two ABF ReloCubes - get a quote from www.upack.com. You can hire a high-rated company from www.eMove.com to help you load and unload the cube(s).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:07 pm

Consider the price issue, if you don't want to listen to the Red Flags listed above.

Two movers proven to be reputable are telling you it will cost $3000 or more to move where you're going. Hercules is telling you that it will cost just over half that amount. How is it that they can do the exact same move with the exact same level of service for half the price? Either the price will change in the end to reflect the TRUE cost of moving, or they are severely cutting corners somewhere. Perhaps they are paying their workers below minimum wages, or are not spending money or training and benifits. Maybe they are ignoring their truck's upkeep. Maybe they aren't reporting thier full income and are skimping on taxes. Any of these is concerning. Keep this in mind: MOVING IS EXPENSIVE for both the customer and the mover. Ask any of the pros here, they'll agree and give you very specific numbers.

Now think of a comparison. I'm sure every one of us here has stepped into a Walmart at some point in their life. Would you rate their products, in general, top-quality? Would you call anything they sell on the expensive end of prices, should the item be sold elsewhere? No, and No. Know why? Because they pay very low wages, resulting in very unmotivated staff with a high turnover rate. They do not pay high wages because they charge slightly lower prices for the same items. They can do this by buying in bulk, but the low-cost ends up churning out low-quality experiences for the customer. I don't go to Walmart unless I absolutely have to, because I can't stand the dirty floors, sullen and sometimes rude staff who jsut don't know what's going on, disorganized stock space, and frankly, many of the cleintele wandering around me. I am not a snob, and this is not a snobbish attitude.

The same thing happens in any industry that tries to get by charging lower prices. If for some reason they actually DO stick by that half-price quote - and I'd be VERY surprised if little charges didn't add up somewhere - you are not getting the quality and service you expect and deserve.

lizks

Postby lizks » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks so much for the clarification, that's all I needed to hear. My gut was telling me that the price was too good to be true, which I suppose in this business is more often than not the case.

Thanks again!! Really appreciate this site.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:57 pm

Believe me, price is what sucked me in, too. That, and a very good salesperson who knew exactly what to say to pull me in. I'm glad you didn't find us too overbearing, but several of us have been through it before, and we don't want a single other person to be scammed in any way.

movin' west

Postby movin' west » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:29 pm

Here's an update: we've booked with Bohren's for the move on 6/28. They were several hundred dollars less than Shannon and a bit less than Sinclair. Also, Bohren's estimated that we might have more than 7000 lbs (which I fear might be true) so the lower price might make an even greater difference.

When we decided to go with Bohren's it was based off the in-person estimate, which turned out to be missing about $200 worth of charges. The estimator for Bohren's miscalculated the price for the stop at a storage facility and the transfer of the load from a mini-shuttle, as well as failed to write down the two cribs which we discussed, and this was annoying considering the in-person estimate is supposed to catch all these points. Still they were able to offer a greater reduction than Shannon and Colorado seems to be a daily route for them.

A rep from Shannon tried to see if they could match Bohren's charges -- and in the course of our conversation said that he had seen this post on movingscam.com -- but ultimately wasn't going to offer a 67% reduction. They did say that Bohren's, which he hadn't heard of at first but then investigated, seemed a good company. Both he and the Sinclair rep discouraged us from Hercules, but like lizks I would appreciate hearing from people who have used them. My friend moved from Princeton, NJ to Syracuse, NY and said they were great and significantly cheaper than her other estimates.

I'm sure that moving is expensive for the companies, yet these estimators came in BMW SUVs, so it would be nice to feel that there is something between Walmart / being scammed and the BMW. I guess that in-between is moving it ourselves, which we would do if we didn't have to leave the country as our stuff heads west.

Fingers crossed for the 28th -- and for all the packing before that. Thanks for the help here. And good luck with your move, lizks.

movin' west

Postby movin' west » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:32 pm

One more thing: Bohren's is actually going to charge our credit card 110% of the estimate a few days before the pick-up date. So, I'm not sure that getting some money in advance is always a terrible sign. In some cases, it might be a way for somewhat smaller companies to offer somewhat lower rates.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Just a few thoughts about Hercules vs. the other companies.

1. Moving from NJ to Syracuse NY is different from moving from NJ to Colorado. The longer moves are the ones that the iffy companies are especially likely to broker out to other people or else hold the shipment in a warehouse until they have enough to fill a truck.

2. It's actually SOP for some reputable companies (United agents are the ones I've heard about) to charge 110% of the estimated cost of a move up front on a credit card. Other agents may charge 100% of the cost. What we have learned to recognize as a warning pattern is different. When dubious companies ask for 50% of the estimated cost up front, that often means that the 50% is actually a broker's fee that will be retained by the company. The hauling company that the move is farmed out to will try to charge much more than the other 50% when the move is picked up and/or delivered.

3. Regarding the BMW SUVs driven by the sales reps, I would be interested in comments from industry people but I suspect it could be as it is with Realtors:- the bank owns most of the vehicle and the vehicle is mostly for show, to give an impression of prosperity and success. People in the industry have posted on this board that the average compensation for a sales rep is around $40K-$70K a year depending on the area, and I've been told privately by a reliable source that almost all sales reps are living paycheck to paycheck.

Good luck with Bohren's and I'll be very interested in your review.

Return to “Open Community”