Moving from the Bronx to DC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jasper

Moving from the Bronx to DC

Postby jasper » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:20 pm

I originally started a post asking about Bekins, but decided to start a new one, because my questions are getting more general.

I just had Bay Shore Storage Warehouse Inc, Hauppauge LI, (Allied) here for a quote. Rich was very nice. He gave me a non binding estimate of $2300 for an estimated 5300 lbs ( 2 br apt.). It has a 5000 lb minimum for next day delivery. The driver will pick up my stuff in the morning of day 1, and deliver it to my new apartment in Alexandria on the morning of the next day. $100 secures the movers, and the balance gets paid before they unload the truck. Is all this normal - minimum wt, etc?

The company has a caution symbol next to it on the Super list - how cautious should I be?

The rep also made a point to telll me that he is a "CMC" - does this mean anything?

I'm starting to look into the smaller companies that were recommended on my other post, but also wanted to get feedback on this company.

Jim

Re: Moving from the Bronx to DC

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 pm

jasper, I would be cautious of any major vanline company offering a non-binding quote unless you had items in storage, which I don't believe you have. If they don't or won't offer you a binding estimate, I would try someone else. That sort of quote leaves you open to increased charges you probably would have never planned on. The minimum seems high to me - but since you already have more than 5000 lbs.... I would see what another estimator says.

The part I don't like is the deposit - a reputable mover wouldn't need one. I understand the major vanlines are now asking for a deposit - I think that stinks and they should be slapped around for even asking given the size the major van lines are.

CMC = Certified Moving Consultant. It's a professional designation within the industry. I wouldn't liken it to something like being a CPA... but it does mean something in this industry.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 pm

My personal advice:- do not use any company that has a Caution symbol next to its name. Those symbols are handed out for a reason. I won't go into details, but Rich may not be all that he seems.

Also, Jim is absolutely correct. Don't accept a Nonbinding estimate.

jasper

Postby jasper » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:17 pm

thanks so much!

I've contacted the Shea and All Star, as recomended in my earlier post, for quotes. I'll send updates.

dsampayo

Postby dsampayo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Just used Shea in April and had a great move. Went from the Bronx to East Brunswick, New Jersey. They stuck with their estimate which happened to beat the two other reputable companies I inquired with. Good luck.

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Jasper,

I'm scheduled to move from Bronx to San Francisco in a week. After using this forum and much research, I've chosen Dahill (Mayflower). You should check them out as well. Jay Medina is the sales rep and is professional and helpful.

By the way, was the Bekins that you were considering the "Boyer-Rosene Bekins" based in Illinois? If so, I was advised NOT to go with them from experts on this site based on their bad reputation.

You can also consider V. Santini (Atlas) Westchester; but ask them for a "binding" or "non-binding, not to exceed" quote, as they gave me a non-binding whereas Dahill's quote was binding.

Good luck Jasper! :D
Denise

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 am

Hi Denise,

I think he was considering Bekins White Glove in Queens, but I'm not positive. In general, it's best to avoid Bekins Van Lines, although there are a few good agents.

Please be sure to come back and report on Dahill. As you probably saw, 6 or 8 people posted good preliminary reviews of the pre-move process but never came back to report. We hope that no news is good news, but it's nice to be sure!

Return to “Open Community”