*Unanticipated storage charges

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jim

Re: Unanticipated storage charges

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:33 am

Nancy, I got the same feeling as you on the account and its relative size. I mean if I'm the rep (and Graebel rep's do this having seen it personally, as I'm certain anyone with half-a-brain does it as well), this is the point where the rep follows up, and cements a deal to perform more moves for the client in exchange for waiving the SIT in and Delivery Out for Karen. And you're also right that the cost isn't outrageous, unless you take Karen's perspective: They were going into this believing this was supposed to be a company-paid move (Lee, I don't sense an allowance here - the deal is to pay point A to point B and that's it. If there was a relocation department in the company, the likelihood is that the SIT issue would be paid by the company within the confines of the allowance. I know you know - just talking aloud here... :wink: ), meaning there would only be a nominal amount going out of pocket for their family. Now, they're looking at spending an unexpected $2,000 out of pocket - I mean I'd be teed off knowing problem disappearance is now going to cost $2,000 when the rep didn't even reveal that cost. This is the BIG problem I have with this, and her HR department isn't helping.

Karen, HR departments know less about moving than you do, and for them to imply that the company would charge for a service and not perform that service is really wrong-headed on so many levels. That implication is one of plain and simple fraud and no company wants to even travel down that road. What does concern me is that even if you're able to book and go with another company, you're still facing the storage issues and the other carriers will need to tell you what their solution is and the cost is. What you might find is that the solution is going to be comparable to what Graebel is proposing. I would recommend at least looking into what other companies might propose as a solution - though I would not make any changes to your existing commitment until you find a better solution.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

NJ to NC

Postby NJ to NC » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 pm

New development!
One of the companies that originally came out to do an estimate, Harrington Moving & Storage (Nat'l Van Lines agent), is still able to do this move for us. This company seems to check out just fine. The sales rep faxed a revised estimate specifying load dates of 6/27 to 6/28 and delivery date of 7/6 (he said he was not able to deliver on 7/3 or 7/4 holiday), so they would drive down on 7/5.

He said the items would not go into storage but would be held on the truck (which sounds better to me - I'd rather not have things moved an extra time - is this on base?). He stated no extra charges for this - and since this time the dates are specified in writing, am I right to assume this can't suddenly change?

Their estimate was higher than the others (about $9,000 for 15,000 lbs, as opposed to Graebel's $8,000 for 14,500 lbs.) but the estimate is noted as "Customer Benefit Estimate - Guaranteed price or actual charges, whichever is less," whereas Graebel gave us a non-binding estimate only (two other companies came to our home and estimated our stuff at around 12,500 lbs and 12,000 lbs).

Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing something here, before we go back to company HR person and lobby for one company over another? The HR person really does not want to get too involved, I believe.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:28 pm

This is probably the best option I see, and you're right - every time your belongings are handled, the risk of damage or destruction rises. Leaving your stuff on the truck is what I thought Graebel should do in the first place and for not doing that - they're going to lose the move.

If the weight turns out to be less, than you're company will be refunded the difference. I won't speak for the others, but I say if you're comfortable with Harrington, I say go for it.

If you're move goes well with them, please make sure you document such a letter to your HR indicating your pleasure with Harrington, so that your hubby's company knows who to recommend to others in the future.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:41 pm

NJ to NC,

I think they sound good - did you see the discussion of them on the Superlist?

One thing I would like to request:- if you go with them, could you please ask what terminology they use for (1) a Nonbinding estimate and (2) a Binding estimate? I see from your post that a Binding Not to Exceed estimate is called a "Customer Benefit Estimate." I am collecting terminology for all the different van lines and putting it into a summary post, but I don't have anything on National Van Lines as yet.

NJ to NC

Postby NJ to NC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Update: We decided to go with Harrington. Our move is next week and I'm hopeful that we will be able to write a positive letter about them for hubby's company and recommend them to others!

Diane wrote:One thing I would like to request:- if you go with them, could you please ask what terminology they use for (1) a Nonbinding estimate and (2) a Binding estimate? I see from your post that a Binding Not to Exceed estimate is called a "Customer Benefit Estimate." I am collecting terminology for all the different van lines and putting it into a summary post, but I don't have anything on National Van Lines as yet.

For National Van Lines:
1) Nonbinding estimate is called "Non-binding Estimate"
2) Binding estimate is called "Guaranteed price"
3) Binding Not to Exceed = "Customer Benefit Estimate"

Thanks again to all who responded - you provide a wonderful service and take some of the stress out of moving. I wish I'd known about the Superlist when I first started looking for movers - what a great resource!

Diane

Re: *Unanticipated storage charges

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 am

Thanks for this info - I added it to my post (below) and look forward to reading your review of Harrington.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5876#45876

Michael

Re: *Unanticipated storage charges

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:48 am

Any word??????????
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”