AAA's moving service

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
endofwinter

AAA's moving service

Postby endofwinter » Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 am

Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Chicago to San Diego in August and have started researching moving options. (I'll make a post with the details when it gets closer.) I've been poking around this forum for some time, but this is my first post.

AAA offers a Consumer Relocation Service, where some company called "MoveEase" will help me find local companies and negotiate rates without their normal fee. I've searched the forums and can't find much information on this service. Does anyone have any experience using them? I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worthwhile or whether I should just try to find estimates/companies on my own.

Thank you!

Diane

Re: AAA's moving service

Postby Diane » Mon May 28, 2007 11:13 am

Hi - someone just posted a good report on a move carried out by a Wheaton agent through Consumers Relocation - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13783

That person also said that the broker (because that's what it is) had waived its normal fee, but the phrase is really meaningless. You have no way of knowing what handling fees may be built into the quotes, probably disguised as something else. Nobody, except maybe a volunteer on this forum :wink:, is going to do something for nothing.

I too have seen the AAA ads, but our standard advice to people is to go directly to the moving company. As I recall, the ads promise something like "you can get up to a 63% discount." Well, anybody can get a similar discount, especially if it's "up to." It depends on the season, etc.

We'll hold your hand just as well as MoveEase, and we won't charge you.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

endofwinter

Postby endofwinter » Mon May 28, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks for the info, Diane! I think I'll give them a ring and see what they come up with, but also keep looking for movers on my own. Should be interesting to see the comparison!

I'll post my experience with the company once everything is sorted. (I'm also planning on creating a new topic on my move in general with way more info. That'll be once I get estimates, to see what you guys have to say about the options.)

endofwinter

Postby endofwinter » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:51 pm

I've now received all three estimates from the AAA people. I was not impressed. They contacted three companies on my behalf, Advantage (Wheaton), Boyer-Rosene (Bekins), and Ace Worldwide (Atlas). Wheaton got back to me quickly, but I had to call my rep after over a week had passed to have him prod Bekins and Atlas into contacting me. After that, Bekins got to me fairly quickly, but Atlas took nearly another week.

The Wheaton rep was okay, but seemed more like a mover who'd changed jobs than a salesperson. Nice guy who seemed to know his packing and weights, but I was a bit put off when he suggested double-parking the 18-wheeler on my busy street (heavy traffic both ways, only one lane each direction). The Bekins operator was curt when she called to schedule the estimate. Also, that location had bad reviews on this site and their estimate form was missing important things, like a breakdown of the costs (e.g., fuel charge, taxes). The Atlas person apologized when he called. He then proceeded to ask what items I'll be moving over the phone - he didn't even offer to come out and do a physical inspection (though the resulting non-binding estimate does have a bit that says that I know I am entitled to one).

Normally things related to AAA have some semblance of reputability, so I was pretty disappointed with these results. In hindsight, though, these companies very likely pay some sort of broker's fee, so some factor has to balance out the cost...

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Ace has a good reputation, but Boyer-Rosene doesn't, and I don't know about Advantage. This kind of mixed result seems to be pretty par for the course for AAA's Consumers Relocation Services. The companies that customers are referred to tend to be from the smaller van lines and some of them aren't so hot. Yes, I suppose the companies are paying something to CRS to be listed and that is built into the cost of the move somehow. Not worth bothering with, IMHO. Customers should approach the moving company directly. Even going through the van line website has its perils because I've noticed that the companies that respond to requests tend to be the weaker ones in the area.

endofwinter

Postby endofwinter » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:32 pm

The way I was kept in the dark by the Ace rep, I'm surprised to hear they have a good reputation. He said sorry it took them a bit to get back to me, but I'd been lost in a shuffle of papers. Then he asked what I was moving (furniture, number of boxes, etc) and said he'd email over the estimate. No mention of an in-home estimate. If they're a good company, though, I'm sure they'll fire this guy soon enough, since he's probably going against company procedures and is sure to be losing them business (like mine).

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:08 pm

I'll make a note in the Superlist of what happened to you with Ace. Thanks for filling us in on this. It helps to build up a picture of what people can expect from Consumers Relocation Services.

Return to “Open Community”