Moving from NC to Los Angeles - with a delay in departure and arrival dates

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rachel22

Moving from NC to Los Angeles - with a delay in departure and arrival dates

Postby rachel22 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:19 pm

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your help - there are a few questions and I'd love to get some feedback so I can make my move as (relatively) painlessly as possible. My situation is a bit tricky.

In 2004 I moved from Los Angeles to Durham with ShipSmart and spent $1800 (full service option). My stuff took a bit longer to arrive than I'd hoped, but the people were nice and it was relatively drama free. My stuff is currently in NC in a 10x10 storage unit with boxes packed basically floor to ceiling (some of the furniture I'll get rid of before I move - I just didn't have time before it went into storage and since I had the storage unit anyway...). I have a suitcase full of stuff with me in the Washington, DC area where I am currently staying.

Now I am moving the same stuff - basically one bedroom and about 20 boxes - from NC back to California. In addition to that I have about 20 boxes of books that previously I shipped media mail. When I packed this time (after grad school), I didn't know where I'd land so I ended up keeping almost everything and maintaining a meticulous list of every item in every box, each of which is totally packed and taped and labeled. Obviously if I knew I'd be moving cross country, I'd have sold things like the microwave, toaster, tv set, vacuum etc. But I didn't know, and those things are packed in boxes under boxes in this storage unit that was packed by movers.

The catch is that I'll be starting work right away before our apartment is ready (six weeks) so we'll be staying with family. I'll need to meet the movers in NC relatively soon (within three weeks) and have them take the stuff, but I can't have it dropped off until we have our place six weeks after we move.

Here are my questions:

1. If I am already moving the big furniture, do I break into the boxes and try to remove certain things to lower costs? It seems like it doesn't make sense because it will end up costing me more to replace these items than it would to ship it with the stuff I'm already moving, but I am just guessing and need input.

2. who is affordable and at the same time can hold the stuff for a while? I am a recent grad (ie, strapped for cash), but I also need to be practical. I am a bit intimidated by the quantity of stuff and would need help loading/ unloading on both ends, would potentially have to rent a uhaul on both ends if i went with a freight company like ABF, etc. shipsmart/ box brothers inside delivery is super convenient, but is more money. in the end, which is better?

thanks again!

Rachel

farrah7031

Re: Moving from NC to Los Angeles - with a delay in departure and arrival d

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Do you have less than 2000 lbs? An ABF Relocube can hold that much. That might be the easiest thing to do, and ABF can store the cube for you for about $125 (i think) a month. You can hire loaders on each end by going to www.emove.com and choosing a highly rated company.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:31 am

Rachel,

Personally I would not unpack the boxes but would ship them as is. Can you leave your things in the storage unit until you need to have them shipped? That would seem to be the simplest option.

Often you can have things picked up from a storage unit without your being there. I know that Broadway Express will do this, for example, if you arrange things with the manager of the storage unit. Probably TROSA or Delancey Street Movers-NC could also handle this and load your things either into a BE truck or an ABF ReloCube or two when the time comes. See the link below my name for info on these and other companies in North Carolina. If you're moving to Los Angeles, you can use Delancey Street-Los Angeles to help unload. Again, see the listing under California.

Whatever you do, I think it's going to cost substantially more than it did in 2004.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

rachel22

Postby rachel22 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 pm

thanks diane.

i've found a (good) friend to supervise the move if necessary, so i certainly do have the option of keeping things in storage until we are set up in california. i will also call the storage unit manager, though they've been exceptional and i don't imagine it will be much of a problem.

shipsmart offered me a discount as a returning customer (not much though - 10% off freight, and when i asked for a specific breakdown of costs, it turns out about half of the $2200 estimate was labor on either end). i am about to call BE and ABF for pricing and will keep you apprised. the other advantage that BE and ABF offer is that it may make sense to ship the books (what am i doing with 20 boxes of books!?) with the rest of my load, which could significantly reduce hassle.

one other thing. i used TROSA to move into the storage unit before i knew about this site and they were absolutely wonderful. it was a very short move, but they were extremely accomodating and were a pleasure to work with. i'd be happy to write a review someplace.

rachel

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:07 pm

I can add a review to the Superlist just based on what you've already written. I gather that it happened in 2004.

Return to “Open Community”