FIXED PRICE MOVING - disaster

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
outroLugar

FIXED PRICE MOVING - disaster

Postby outroLugar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 pm

I used Fixed Price for my move from NYC to Pasadena. The pickup was smooth and they kept their promise of fixed pricing. But the delivery was a disaster.
The truck showed up with the driver only, no helpers. It took him 3 hours to unload 25 boxes a box and a desk. In addition, the contents of the truck were half trash and half customers stuff. All my boxes were smashed. The boxed marked fragile, were thrown around, left under heavy boxes so my dishes and glasses and all other breakables were smahed. Some of the glasses were so smashed they were like dust. The bedside table was broken and the bed frame was missing a big piece.
I am in the process of filing a claim so i am not sure how this is going to go. But whatever amount i get will not matter cause the things that were broken were gifts and stuff I cant get anymore.
Terrible service, dont ever use them.

farrah7031

Re: FIXED PRICE MOVING - disaster

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:05 pm

Can you post the address or phone number of the company so we know which one you're talking about?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:08 pm

The only "Fixed Price" I see in a DOT name search is the one in the Bronx. Luger, is this them?

Fixed Price Corp's DOT Snapshot

wiffle2007

Postby wiffle2007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Fixed Price handled my move from CT to LA via a broker. (Side note, I know, don't use brokers, but I did, and paid about $1K less than I would have had I used a company directly -- I got a couple of estimates.)

I told Fixed Price and the broker about Lugar's experience beforehand, since it was a similar move, and I also asked about their (not unusual, in this business) insurance revocations. The broker assured me that they'd used Fixed Price for years, would use them for their own stuff, etc. (for what that's worth). I went back and forth with both the broker and Fixed Price via e-mail quite a bit, just wanting them to know I was going into this aware and consumer-knowledgeable, and with a written record of our discussions. (Would not pay for a shuttle, as one was clearly not needed, no long carry fees, etc.)

The whole thing went very smoothly. My parents were impressed with the guys who did the pickup (they also packed, and well, I might add - many breakables) - they were fast and efficient. As far as delivery, they arrived on the day they said they would, although very late - the driver had originally said around 6pm, but it ended up being more like 11pm (he did call and give me updates, to his credit). Fortunately I'm up late, and saving $1K was worth waiting a few hours. As happened with Lugar, the driver arrived alone, so be prepared for that (or discuss with them beforehand, I guess). I wanted to have it done as quickly as possible, so I borrowed one of the hand trucks and unloaded stuff with him. Only mishap actually happened right in front of me - he stacked boxes a little too high on his handtruck and the one on top fell over, breaking two small glass bowls. Given everything that was moved, and the distance, and the price, I thought I came out ahead.

Anyway, this site was very helpful to me, so I wanted to return the favor, and note an opposite experience with this particular company (the Fixed Price based in Brooklyn).

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Fixed Price Corp. (MC #410399) actually has two locations listed on www.safersys.org - one in the Bronx and one in Brooklyn. I'll add this review to the Superlist linked to below my name. Note that LA seems to mean Los Angeles since he is posting from Los Angeles.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ANGIE123

Postby ANGIE123 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Apparently some people who like to bash companies don't know how to read.
I used Fixed Price Moving 3 times and have referred them to about 10 friends. They have been on point with their estimates with EACH person, so that's 13 times in a row they got it right.
The website that you guys are looking at http://www.safersys.org/query.asp?searc ... 21&Go.y=13
this is a link that someone else put...the X in front of the line means they are : "Some data is displayed in tables of rows and columns. An X in front of an item in a table indicates that the item is relevant to this company, while the absence of any character indicates that the item is not applicable. Some tables allow characters other than X and those flags are explained in the individual data item help references below."
So Tyrone, they are allowed to do household goods and EDDO713, they do do interstate!!
This company was EXCELLENT in their services and their formans and movers were polite and very good.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:57 am

I'm not sure who you're talking to, as Tyrone hasn't been around for a while, and didn't even comment on this thread, and Eddo is also not here. Did you read some old threads, putter around for a while, then come back to the first Fixed Price thread you found?

And apparently you don't know how to interpret the data on the License and Insurance page that you can link to from that Carrier Snapshot.

Click here: http://tinyurl.com/2ffzdb

See the times that Fixed Price had their license revoked and operated illegally? Couple months at a time? And yes, I do know they were operating illegally during that those itmes because driver inspections put them in GA and FL during the second revocation.

Since I don't now what old argument you're defending Fixed Price against, I can't comment on your giving the "so-there!" to regarding being licensed to move interstate, but Tyrone always spoke the truth. If at some point years ago he said there was no X next to Houshold Goods, then at that time there wasn't. Maybe you can help us out by finding that year-old thread you're really replying to, and we can go check it out together.

If 13 people had good moves, that's great. But that does not excuse all the other people whom they scammed.

Now might also be a good time to point out that last August, Fixed Price Corp of the Bronx has $4820 in fines levied against them by the DOT.

DSM27

Postby DSM27 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:27 pm

ANgie up there- works for Fixed Price!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:49 am

I'm with you, DSM.

It's also VERY important to note that at this time, Fixed Price is in the middle of its third license revocation. As of August 20, 2007, Fixed price cannot legally move anyone's household goods.

http://tinyurl.com/2ffzdb

I don't like that we, laypeople, know more about their licenses than their own employees.

Return to “Report A Scam”