Rockville, Maryland local move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dcgal

Re: good samaritan!

Postby dcgal » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:02 pm

MusicMom wrote:Read above about Good Samaritan in MD. Shady to me.

Has anyone used them before?? Please post!!

MusicMom

Re: Rockville, Maryland local move

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:24 am

Nobody has used them. Dendrite went with another company.

dcgal

Postby dcgal » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:23 am

dendrite, when are you moving? let me know about beltway.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:44 pm

On August 22, he said he was moving in three weeks, so I'm sure he's all settled in by now.

I sent him a PM and asked him to come and give an update, for your benifit.

dendrite88

Postby dendrite88 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:05 pm

I used Beltway moving service two weeks ago for a local move in Rockville. I have to say I was very satisfied with their excellent service. One and half years ago I used sprint van line's service, it's not bad, I would give them three stars. But for beltway, I would give them five stars. Compared to sprint van line, beltway has a much higher hourly rate, but they don't charge any extra, and they try to fulfill your every demand. Three guys worked very efficiently and professionally. I highly recommend Beltway mover. No wonder next time I will use them again.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:34 am

I read from Beltway's site that they only do regional moves....is that true?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:54 am

They will go between states, but not a great distance away. They are mainly local.

Thanks for coming back to comment, Dendrite!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:04 am

Ditto - thank you, Dendrite. This is how we learn.

dcgal

Postby dcgal » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:52 am

So, I have decided to stick to Good Samaritan for my move to new york from dc despite a lot of opposition on the board (due to their price). And I got to say overall, I got a great service. They charged me 1100 for 2000 pounds (minimum) and since i didn't even have that much stuff, the mover basically told me he'll just bypass the weighing stations and go straight to new york.
They came an hour late due to traffic and rain (they claimed) but they moved everything out in less than one hour. It took them around around 6 hours to get to new york, and they finished in 1.5 hours. On my way to new york, i called them 5 times to make sure they were on the way and they picked up the phone most of the time but I struggled to communicate with them for a while since two out of three couldn't really speak good english.
I haven't unpacked everything yet, but my tv and computer are in good condition. (I packed everything myself). The only thing is I ran out of tape and i wanted them to tape some of hte boxes, which they didn't but the goods inside were find. Overall, i think it's a good service since the price is definitely unbeatable and they were very flexible with doing same day delivery.
I had to give my credit card info to them even though I was very reluctant coz they don't accept personal checks. The only thing I have left to deal with them is the charges to my credit card. If they charge the correct amount to my credit card, then everything's set and I;d recommend them to others!

peppy

Re: DC local move

Postby peppy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Have been getting quotes to move my son from an apt in Foggy Bottom to Woodley Park. He has typical college kid furniture so we don't need any fancy stuff. So far have hear from$180 an hour(Commonwealth and T&C) ; $160 (moyer)to $125(mighty men) .
We used Commonwealth to move our house and were very pleased . Have lots of friends who use T& C and also are very happy. But for this we may give mighty men a shot-will let you know!
Peppy

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Do we know anything about Mighty Men?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Heard the name, but I know nothing specific off the top of my head. What phone number/email/address do you have for them? I'd like to peek.

I do see that their quote is significantly lower than the others. Is this for the same number of guys and hours as all the others? If so, something's off. Either wages are very low resulting in high turnover and poor training, or equipment isn't being maintained, or license/insruance fees aren't being paid, bsically all the things that the other movers are paying to run a good moving company.

peppy

Re: Dc local move

Postby peppy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Here's the website for them:
http://www.mightymenmoving.com/
they have a satisfactory record with BBB
peppy

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Mighty Men Moving is in Fairfax, VA. Their interstate license was revoked last August, which doesn't affect your son because although he's in DC, this is one of the majo metro areas where parts of the three different states/DC are not considered "interstate" for a move, as long as it's within that metro area, which your son's move is. But the revocation kindof nags at me. Why was it revoked? Maybe they just wanted to stay local. No, that's not right, because their website offers long distance moves.

Oh, I see. They changed names, and the insurance was rejected because the name they applied under was different. Hmmm...

Peppy, this company isn't feeling right to me. You don't have to listen to me, but if they're offering moves they can't do, I wonder what other lines they cross? And I already talked about the price issues.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 pm

I just noticed that there is already a listing for them in the Superlist, although I thought they were in Falls Church at that time. Also, when someone asked them for a certificate of insurance in June 2005, they just laughed and said they couldn't do the move - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4808
However, there are two good reviews of the company on that same thread, and at least one of them seems to be genuine.

Return to “Open Community”