Moving from NC to MA - John's Moving?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
pegjud

Moving from NC to MA - John's Moving?

Postby pegjud » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi,

I've never had much luck with moving companies:

1) My move from MA to NC 5 years ago resulted in the truck leaking from the roof and half of my stuff was wet and moldly.

2) My move from the Triad to the Triangle resulted in scratches and broken furniture, and a cracked picture frame.

Now I'm moving back to MA from NC, and hoping to get some advice on any recommended movers or opinions with the movers that I'm getting estimates with. They are located in Durham or Raleigh:

1) John's Moving and Storage (Stevens)
2) Truckin Movers
3) Armstrong Relocation
4) DeHaven's

I've tried to look in the boards about these companies, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Help: moving from NC to MA

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Have you looked under "North Carolina" on the Superlist linked to below my name? That brings together what has been said here about companies in your area. Most of the ones you mention are discussed there.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

pegjud

Postby pegjud » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Diane wrote:Have you looked under "North Carolina" on the Superlist linked to below my name? That brings together what has been said here about companies in your area. Most of the ones you mention are discussed there.

Thanks! Maybe I'll take DeHaven's off the list. Does anyone have opinions of John's Moving and Storage?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Would they be moving your things all the way to MA or would they be putting them on a Stevens truck?

pegjud

Postby pegjud » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Diane wrote:Would they be moving your things all the way to MA or would they be putting them on a Stevens truck?

My impression was that everything would be loaded onto a Stevens truck, and the agent in MA would be unloading it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:28 pm

You might send PMs to "Michael" and "Rick" to see whether they know anything about John's. My initial impression from the website is favorable, but that can be misleading.

pegjud

Postby pegjud » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks! I'll PM them and see :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:45 pm

The legal name of the company (under which it is registered in NC) is Kretchmer Enterprises, LLC but it was registered only in 2006 whereas the BBB says it has been in existence for about 10 years. I couldn't find it listed on www.safersys.org, which is a little strange. You should make sure that it has proper insurance and so on. It has only 2 BBB complaints over the past 36 months and I couldn't find any complaints or bad reviews on the Internet.

pegjud

Postby pegjud » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:01 pm

The MC number (343632) they gave me leads me to where they're under Outstanding Service Corp. Why has there been no inspections? (I don't really understand how often this is done)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:49 pm

I don't know why there have been no inspections. The MC # is very high, which usually indicates a recent registration. It appears that Kretschmer Enterprises, LLC might be a different company owned by the same person (?). Personally I get a little concerned when I see all these different company names being used by an individual. However, let's wait and see whether Michael and Rick have any insights into the company.

The FMCSA complaints database shows no complaints - http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDetai ... t%3DSearch

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:04 pm

I just replied back to PEG in a PM. Johns was just a local mover for awhile and I believe recently last year or two ago, became affiliated with Stevens as their local agent for service in Raleigh. They are behind, and in the same complex, as Security Atlas.

They did some good a few years back when a nother local mover went back into business, illegally, and stole peoples money, again, and then disappeared. Nobody knew where their goods were.

Big Johns found them, took them into his storage facility and tried to get what they could back to those that had given up their goods for lost.

I would suggest them for a local or intra, but not a interstate. No particular reason why other then I think they are small.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Well, but wouldn't they be sending the items on a Stevens Van Lines truck, Michael?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:26 pm

I would think so Diane.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

pegjud

Postby pegjud » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Michael,
Thanks for PMing me, what is the advantage of having a larger company moving me vs. a smaller company? (sorry this isn't obvious to me)

petrofamily

Postby petrofamily » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:52 pm

When and where are you moving to MA? We just moved back to MA from NC ourselves. We were not able to bring everything with us since Uhaul committed to renting us a 26 foot truck and when we got there, the "check engine light was on". We had to take a 24 foot truck and therefore had to leave behind one book shelf (approx 6 ft high by 3 feet wide) and about 6 boxes of everyday household stuff. We are looking for a way to piggy back onto a moving truck to get the rest of the stuff back.

Return to “Open Community”