Long-distance move from New York

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
flutie76

Long-distance move from New York

Postby flutie76 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:40 am

Hi all,

I have read the posts on this site regarding movers in the NYC area with great interest. Thanks for the insight. I am moving from New York to Ohio and most movers seem to be quoting an hourly rate - which makes the transit time (about 7.5 hours each way) the bulk of the cost.

Any suggestions on how to mitigate this? I'm concerned about possibility that the drive could take longer than it should (traffic, etc.) that could add even further to the cost.

Thanks

Diane

Re: Long-distance move from New York

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:10 pm

Hi - you might want to read my Epinions article linked to below for the names of some agents of major van lines that have done a good job for people here and that charge by weight. Where are you moving to in Ohio and how much stuff do you have? Has anyone done an in-home estimate so far?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

flutie76

Postby flutie76 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:05 pm

Thanks, Diane.

I didn't get an in-house estimate yet. I contacted several of the most reputable companies you mentioned in the article, all of whom gave an hourly estimate - stating that it was a one day job and therefore they would do it this way.

I was wondering if there would be a precedent to agree on a capped travel time?

Finally, has anyone in NY/NJ come across a company called All Inclusive Moving and Storage?

Thanks

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:44 pm

All Inclusive (DOT # 1336680) has only been licensed since April.

On their website, they claim years of business (see Auto Transport), and also miss the fact that they are not licensed to ship autos or broker out jobs. BIG strike against them. Even thought you are not moving a car, this shows they are willling to move people illegally.

A reference letter from the Office Coordinator for Elizabeth Taylor's American Foundation for Aids Research is full of spelling and grammar mistakes. The letter also says "I researched and solicited all of the Los Angeles based moving companies and All Inclusice Moving & Storage not only had the competitive price..." ??? I wonder if this is taken from the owner's previous moving company from CA? I'll have to check into that.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:50 pm

BINGO!!!!

http://www.air1moving.com/references.shtml (AKA "Right on Time")

Since All-Inclusive's site and Air 1's site were created by two different companies, we can't say they used a cookie-cutter format from another client.

Check the other reference letters, too. They're all the same. But LeeAnn Heck has now been promoted to the position of assistant for Robin Wright Penn. :roll:

Just given this association, which is often seen in new incarnations of old scammers, I would suggest to stay away from All Inclusive Moving & Storage.
Last edited by MusicMom on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flutie76

Postby flutie76 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:57 pm

Wow - amazing research! Thanks for the heads up.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi again - I'm very surprised that any of the van line agents mentioned in my article would charge by the hour (independent companies like Big John's and All Star might) and I'm wondering whether you could tell me which agents they are. For example, University, Applegate, Holman, Dahill, Molloy, Moving Man? This is very surprising.

flutie76

Postby flutie76 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:23 pm

Sorry - didn't mean to confuse you. It was one of the independents not an agent.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:10 pm

How much stuff do you have and what is your budget for this move? You asked about a capped travel time, and someone just reported getting one with All Star - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038 (end of thread)

movingon126

Postby movingon126 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:50 pm

I am SO glad I found this site and your posts. Actually, an agent for Shannon Transport (Atlas Van Line Agent from South NJ) suggested I check this site out before making my decisions. Very professional, helpful, and non-pushy. However, I'm doing a long distance move with very little stuff (about 2000 lbs max). So the estimate is way over what I can comfortably pay. In the end, I've decided I will just sell the furniture and ship the books, personal effects, and clothes (whatever can't fit in my car). Time to start fresh, I guess!

Anyway, I just had to post to give a positive note about Shannon. If it was worth it to me to keep my stuff and pay what is probably a realistic, fair price, I would go with them.

But also to add some more info about All Inclusive Moving and Storage. I have no proof that they are fraudulent movers, but some things strike me as very odd. Some were already mentioned - web site says 20 years in business, BBB and Safersys say since 2005/2006. Truck fleet listed as only 1 truck on Safersys, but they say they have 10. The references (mentioned in previous posts) are definitely not right - and even more so when you compare them to what is on the A1 Moving site. Reminds me of phishing emails/websites and Nigerian fraud scams (attempts to scam money, CC or debit card info, and identity theft).

A lot of what is posted on the movingscam.com site based on people's experiences (that turned out to be scams or really negative experiences) with various companies seemed just way too similar to what I was being told. Down to the wording in the email estimate. Also, they were very firm on saying they don't do in-house estimates for any place less than 3 bedrooms. I was confident that I wouldn't be going over their 2000 lb minimum, but in the end, I have no doubt there would've been something. They did waive the stairs fee, but neglected to mention the "long walk" fee - which they define as more than 6 feet distance from entrance to truck – until I pushed and asked specific questions. I wouldn’t have even thought to ask some of these questions if it wasn’t for the Shannon agent and what he brought to my attention. They also said they would be able to get a 28' truck in my driveway (without seeing it), but Shannon rep said there is no way any driver would even attempt it - and probably a shuttle service (small loads to the main truck) would be needed. That seemed to be standard procedure based on what friends have said from their legit moving experiences.

After reading all of the stuff on this site and finding discrepancies between BBB, Safersys, and what All Inclusive says, I spent more time going through all of the pages of the All Inclusive website. There is one more odd thing I picked up. On the Packing page, there is a list of packing categories (lamps, bedding, etc) that if you click on them give you suggestions for how to pack correctly. Under bedding, this is what was posted: "Mattresses must be covered to protect them from soil and damage. Appropriate sized cartons are recommended and available from your Moving Etc. Agents." (color and bolding are mine for emphasis) Moving, Etc is another moving company with recent (2005/2006) start up dates according to BBB and Safersys. Seemed to me like someone got sloppy when copying and pasting the same stuff into all of their websites. Also, it seems curious that these 3 sites (all inclusive, a1, and moving,etc) all started up around the same time, which coincides with Yair Malol's legal problems (see The True Story on this site for details). I found this site with an FBI press release regarding that case and many other similar cases – in what looks like some kind of possible organized network. http://www.fbi.gov/fieldnews/march/mm030403.htm But, of course, any connection to all inclusive is speculation on patterns I’ve found on my part.

One final discrepancy – Manesha (the woman I was dealing with) said they had an office in Jersey City, NJ (which their website lists), Bronx, NY (which can found on BBB), and a site on Georgia Ave in Baltimore, MD. No listing came up on yellow pages or other address/location searches for that MD address. However, in her email estimate, she mentions specifically that they are located in Silver Spring, MD. I found no listing for them in Silver Spring. Manesha also said she never heard of Safersys.org – which I find very hard to believe if she is the assistant manager of the moving company, as she claims, and Safersys is the website of the FMCSA.

Forgive me if I’ve taken up way too much space here – but your site helped me prevent myself from getting scammed (I really believe) and I wanted to share the info I uncovered in this crazy research. Maybe it’ll help someone else prevent this or at least to help give ideas of things that might be red flags. This is a crazy, stressful search and they sure don’t make it easy! It’s great sharing communities like this that give us a chance at all!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. If you want to give the name of the sales rep from Shannon that you liked, I will mention it positively on the Superlist even though you decided not to go with them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

movingon126

Postby movingon126 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:30 am

Absolutely. The Shannon Transport's agent's name is William Shivy.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:18 am

movingon126 wrote:Manesha also said she never heard of Safersys.org – which I find very hard to believe if she is the assistant manager of the moving company, as she claims, and Safersys is the website of the FMCSA.

I find this especially disturbing.

movingon126

Postby movingon126 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm

Yes, me too. I also find it interesting that Manesha from All Inclusive hasn't called me back today. When we last spoke yesterday, I said I was going to check BBB and then I'd call her back. I called back, but was told she had left for the day but would be in at 9am. I left my name. But regardless, when we had already spoken 3-4 times, I'm surprised she didn't call me back to check on my decision (because I really was close to doing it when we last spoke). Must've asked one too many questions and maybe she knew I was feeling suspicious. Yeah!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:55 pm

It's possible she saw your post here and knows what she's in for, and that's why she's not calling you back. Many bad movers watch this site very closely. Don't be surprised if "someone" shows up here within the next week or so to say what a wonderful job All Inclusive did for them.

The fact that you're researching the mover has already made them nervous. I admire all the info you posted above.

And as GI Joe says...

Return to “Open Community”