*Experience with storage in Bellingham, WA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ligeti42

*Experience with storage in Bellingham, WA?

Postby ligeti42 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:04 am

Greetings all,

Thanks to the many recommendations here, I'm moving my possessions from Cambridge, MA to Bellingham, WA using an ABF U-Pack trailer. I'm actually moving to Vancouver, BC, but storing most of my things in Bellingham for several months until I sort out visa issues.

In any case, I wonder if anyone has any experiences with storage companies in Bellingham? The local ABF dispatcher recommended Pantec Mini Storage, who were very helpful (if a bit laid-back) when I contacted them. A 10x10 unheated space costs $70/month, and there is a 24-hour live-in manager.

Also, for the initial trailer load in Cambridge, I'm probably going to use Gentle Giant, simply because I've had such exceptional experiences moving with them twice in the past. However, they're not cheap... I doubt Labor Ready is the right choice for my move, as I want experienced movers placing my things in the trailer correctly.

Any thoughts? And thanks to Diane and company for this fantastic service, without which I'd be in much doubt (and debt) about my move...

Diane

Re: Experience with storage in Bellingham, WA?

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:20 am

Hi - I'm really glad that the website was helpful to you! I'll add your good remarks about Gentle Giant to their listing.

An industry person that I trust told me that Marathon Moving Company is as high-quality as Gentle Giant but somewhat less expensive because they have less overhead since GG has several locations. You might get a quote from them just to see. You'll want to use ample moving pads, etc. to protect your items while they're in storage as well as when they're on the truck. I agree that yours is a situation where professionals are needed.

I don't think any of the regular volunteers posting here are located in Washington State, but hopefully someone else reading this will know about the mini-storage place you mention.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

leah

Postby leah » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:22 pm

It's been several years since I lived in Bellingham, WA (I went to college there), but it is overall a safe place with good people. Very different from the Boston area where you are now. I googled Pantec to see if I recognized the unit you mentioned, and it is off of Meridian which is a main retail strip and there are several storage places behind the retail and industrial stuff. It should be fine.

Avoid storing stuff near the "alphabet streets," otherwise you will probably be more than fine. There was a storage place off of Lakeway that a friend of mine used with no problem, but again that was a few years ago and I have no idea if it is still there.

Best of luck with your move to Vancouver, BC and storage in Bellingham!

ligeti42

Postby ligeti42 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks Leah!

Diane, for your reference, Gentle Giant handily beat out the Marathon Moving estimate for my Cambridge, MA trailer load-in. GG quotes a rate of $141/hr, MM $150/hr; MM also asks $166 for travel to my location and fuel surchage, whereas with GG there are no additional costs (they're right next door in Somerville).

I should also mention that although both sales reps were courteous, GG's went out of her way to chat me up about the move... I don't require such friendliness in a moving company, but it's a nice touch nonetheless.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for this additional info on rates. How many workers will you get for the $141/hour?

ligeti42

Postby ligeti42 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 pm

Sorry for the delay on this... The GG $141/hour is for two movers. FYI, I see now that Marathon's $150 rate is for three.

Return to “Open Community”