HELP! What options do I have in service delay (Dahill / Mayflower)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
EastCoastMover

Re: HELP! What options do I have in service delay (Dahill / Mayflower)

Postby EastCoastMover » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:26 pm

maybe that rather large insect that crawled up his you know paralyzed his typing fingers....on the other side i was supposed to start a 28000# pack and load tomorrow and was told at 8pm this eve by my shipper that he wont be available till wed as some work issues have come up. so here i sit wasting a day as well as having to call my help and tell them tomorrow is a no go so there are 4 very experianced movers that will spend tomorrow enjoying the 100 plus heat here in lovely baltimore doing nothing...my point is ...doo doo happens....and it will probably happen again and again...if people would look at the large volume of work done in a relativly short time and compare the on time numbers to the "service failure" ones,they would see its a very very small percentage... i know this does this person no good but in the overall scheme of things theres not much that can be done right now..believe me the vanlines is looking for a truck to service this as soon as possible... they want this over too....you are not being scammed...get a motel room ,go out to eat,buty some new clothes and turn in the reciepts and move on...sorry to sound cold but dont ruin your health or be miserable over something you cannot control..this is not some scammer wanting more money or not telling you where your stuff is or threating to never give it back...

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:00 pm

One of the things we could have found out if the shipper was more interested in results is whether the shipment is still actually sitting. He mentioned that the shipment was less than 2500 lbs.

Archie if this was your agency, wouldn't Unigroup have told you to crate it up and hold for Carevan? I know we're getting 2 - 3 carevan shipments weekly, and most of them are arriving still within the delivery spread.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:59 pm

hi aspena, i totally agree with you. it does not matter to me who or what job may have cancelled. you were promiced a day and that is that. im a moving company, and i have had to eat losses to stick to a promise i have made. from the number of people here defending this billion dollar company is just appalling that you have to deal with thi8s. my company is just starting out and with the competition doing what they did to you i should be on top soon. again, you were right and i would have expected more support here than you recieved. does a man word mean nothing anymore? it s a crying shame. but like i said if this is how my biggest competitors act ill do just fine.
i cant wait to see if i get scolded by people here for actually siding with you.
good luck, hope all eventually settles down.
don
don,owner of so cal moving company

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:20 am

BigLee,

What is CareVan? Is it similar to the Allied program where the goods are crated and sent via a freight company to the destination warehouse?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am

Movers cant decline a shipment because its a self pack, thats hooey...we are a public convenience and necessity, and our operating authority requires us to service shipments without discrimination....

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:25 am

Lee, yes this probably would be carevan-ed, which is where its packed into a wooden liftvan, then freighted to the destination agent. It might not qualify though, if it has bulky pieces that won't fit in the liftvan.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 am

Don,

We (and the original poster you're replying to) don't really KNOW what happened to delay the shipment. I seriously doubt the company would intentionally risk their good reputation if they KNEW something would go wrong. Lee offered to look up the internal memos and see what the problem was, so that the original poster would know for sure.

Professionals just like you gave several possible scenarios, and the same pros and us non-pros all said that this is a delay and not a scam. The OP did not receive a lack of support, but he was extremely confrontational from the beginning and refused offered help from nice people. We try, but some people just don't want to listen.

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:52 am

yea musicmom, i understand that, but i cant get past the fact that dates were given and they were not met. if this had happened to my customer, i would have been on the pohone with them and the shipper would never have come to this site looking for help. its the way we handle our problems that seperate us. i guess its easy to say given the smaller amount of customers i have now, but my goal is to treat all customers as i do now when my business grows. only time will tell if i accomnplish this goal. i do still think the service should have been there to the point the customer should never had to come to this site with an issue. phone calls are so easy to make before a problem gets big.if i had a shipment for days past delivery promise, frankly, i couild not sleep, knowing what my customer was going through.
also it really seemed odd that this delay is not seen more along the lines of slightly dishonest. if the dates are so flexible for the movers, i think shippers would not use them. so picture a salesman telling this person what day his stuff will be there, and the whole time the salesman does not have any fear of reprecussions if the date is not met, the explanation is simply, 'it's the busy season'.
anyway i dont want to drag this out, i just want to not do this to anybody myself. i do pray every day that none of my customers never have the need to come here looking for help.
don
don,owner of so cal moving company

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:58 am

Nobody is in ANY way defending the mover for the delay. I would like to know the reasons as well. Without the OP's help, Lee can't find out. We'll probably never know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:04 am

coolgabe wrote:I drove for MF for many years, hundreds of customers, and had about 8-10% delays among these, mostly thorough june, july and august.

Does anyone else think that this percentage is rather high? Maybe he meant APUs and not delays.

Anyway, someone posting here as "macd" had a major delay with McCollister's out of MN last year and he went on ReloRow to ask people what to do, and one of the pros posted something like, "Every year we know this is going to happen and yet we barrel on booking the moves, hoping against hope that the customer's particular move won't be the one that's delayed." Now that ReloRow is no more, I wish that I had copied the post.

In other words, the sales reps know it, but if they told customers this, no one in his/her right mind would book with them. Ditto if they told customers, "Well, if there's a problem, your shipment can still go in a wooden lift van transported by a freight company."

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:08 am

Maybe this is similar to when the airlines sell 150 seats on a plane that only has 140 seats. Remember, when a customer is receiving a quote in May, and doesn't even have firm dates yet, since their house has not sold, how can the carrier 'schedule' their move on a direct truck? It's a big puzzle darlin ( may I call you darlin?) and sometimes there are pieces left over at the end of the day. If it was easy, anybody could do it.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:23 am

Oh, gosh, don't get me started on airlines. We were travelling to Iowa for my hubby's best friend's wedding, and the 4:45 Friday flight sat on the tarmac for 3 hours before finally being cancelled. The reason? "Just too much traffic out of NY, can't handle all the planes, so sorry!". They would not provide us with a hotel voucher, I don't even remember what town were were in for that layover, and I had to fake the waterworks to get Continental to pay for a cheap hotel for my family (including one very cranky 3-year-old) until the 9:10 flight the next morning. We missed the rehearsal and breakfast with the friend's family.

What irked me most is that the guy at Continental's desk who finally gave us the voucher (note: airline employees don't like to see women crying, it works!) said this happened every Friday without fail, but there were no plans to change the scheduling.

wedge

Postby wedge » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:37 am

To the OP and others in the same situation - we're having the exact same problem.

We hired Dahill/Mayflower to move us from NYC to Chicago. they picked up our stuff on June 21. We were told that the window of delivery would be from June 25 - 30. Well, it's now July 10 and we have yet to see our stuff. It is now supposed to be scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but frankly, I'll believe it when I see it.

The most frustrating part about this is that no one is taking any responsibility for any of this. Like a previous poster said, I can't get past the fact that the dates on the contract were not met, and there's nothing that we can do about it.

We've been offered a "goodwill" gesture of $400, but that doesn't even come close to the amount of money that we had to spend on 1)work clothes for me (started a new job on July 2, all of my work clothes are packed, since i trusted that they would deliver our stuff by the dates on the contract) 2)Potential wages lost for my husband, who gets paid by the hour, and has been unable to sign on for any work since Mayflower drug their feet so long to give us an actual delivery date - he couldn't sign up for a job that he would have to take off from right away. Also, we've had to spend a not insignificant chunk of change just to buy temporary dishes and other household goods.

I guess the point of my post is - does anyone think that there are any options for us? I know that we can file a delay claim for food, household items, etc. But like i said, that won't cover everything we've had to spend.
Plus the overriding factor is that we're being charge close to $4500 for a service that was not performed according to the contract. In what universe do they still get to collect the entire fee? Does anyone have any light to shed on this situation, or advice to give?

Thank you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Lee, would you offer be open for Wedge as well?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:03 pm

If Lee is not on his watch today, I can check. Need the order number, or shippers last name.

Return to “Open Community”