*Move from CO to NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
coolgabe

Re: *Move from CO to NC

Postby coolgabe » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:30 pm

Diane wrote:Good advice, although we do always recommend that people get a Binding Not to Exceed estimate rather than a Nonbinding. Why did you leave Mayflower for Graebel, Gabe?

I was out of the business completely for 4 years due to spinal and family problems, and when I returned, Graebel offered me more attractive package than anyone else. Plus, I think this company tries to do everything by the book, big on safety and tries exceed customer expectations.
Also unlike the agent-owned van lines, they don't try to tell me 600 different ways to how to do things. Everything is pretty much uniformed, and I'm not saying that we do everything perfectly but at least things not get confusing.
Other than that, just small things, like we don't have to pay for our trailer tires,and maintenace and don't get charged back PL/PD insurance ( cargo) like I was with MF for years, and as it turned out, all of those chargebacks were unlawful.

I read somewhere that United will kill Mayflower eventually. And as I drive down the road, I see more and more Mayflower trailers being white.... that's scarry..... anyway, I always called them Uniflower ever since the takeover :lol:

Why do you guys advice for GTNE? What if someone underestimates, the driver shows up, cubes the shipment all over again and it turns out twice the amount? Then the driver challenges the GTNE and we have a whole new mess to deal with.... or shows up expecting lets say 7000 lbs, he has the room for it, but the shipment weighs 10 000 lbs, and he has no room for the extra 3000.... then again, its another mess, its called the leaveover, which is the worst nightmare because every driver hates it, pays peanuts, and poor customer will never know when the stuff left behind, gonna show up and how many hands handled it. .... trust me I hate challenge weights but every time I did so far ( none with Graebel yet) I won the challenge.... then someone has to eat up the extra costs, and that is usually the customer.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:25 pm

First, the official mover of the NFl and LGPA is a joke. They pay a hefty sum of cash for that "title". Second, the NFL teams chose who they select to move their players. And again, like the NFL, the NBA, NHL, and MLB all make you pay a hefty fee. And what does that fee get you. An add in their weekly or per game magazine stating your their official mover. A few season tickets. Yet doesnt even guarantee you will move a player.

When I lived in Dallas. The Mavericks said I could be their official mover if I paid a $40,000 fee first. That didnt even guarantee me a move.

And personally I have worked for Graebel. In Seattle we handled the Super Sonics, the Knicks, the Celtics and Seahawks.

When I worked for them in Dallas, the Cowboys used a local Mayflower agent. The Mavs had no one "Officially". The Stars had just come down using an Allied Agent from Minnesota. and I dont know who the rangers used. But during that time in Dallas, with Graebel, I moved Anthony Cook of the Magic, Todd Lictchi of the Magic and Doc Ellis, formerly of the Pirates and Yankees.

Blah blah blah on the sports.

In regards to your opinion on not to exceed vs. non binding. You seem to suggest that if you have a non binding estimate at 7000 pounds it still wouldnt be a problem if the driver showed up and it was 10000 pounds. An "overflow is an Overflow" whether its binding not to exceed or not. And its going to screw everyone up no matter what. And same issue with a shuttle at destination.

Also, unless you have sales reps that are horrible at estimating, being challenged doesnt happen to often. In my 16 years I had 3 moves challenged. Was right on all three too in regards to weight, shipper signing addendum because they shipped more, and the last one was just a pissed off driver who was to lazy to walk 50 ft.

The not to exceed offers some protection for the shipper. Especially if the sales rep is clueless, rushed, or sold it as a low ball. A non binding protects the sales person from low balling to get the business, being clueless or rushed.

In regards to Graebel. I heard they were giving out some great packages and as a National Account Mover they are great. But as a COD mover, them being a smaller van line can hurt at times. Especially when they are hiring people off the street to help unload, or trying to unload by themselves.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

laraalley

Postby laraalley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Ok so I had 4 companies come today and do in home estimates and am waiting on three more to come next week. I am moving from CO to NC the first week in August.

Until I get the other estimates I just wanted to ask a few questions....

1. Is it just me or does 1.00 per pound sound really high??? Bailey's Moving and Storage (Allied) came and gave me a binding not to exceed estimate for an estimated weight of 2800 pounds and a price of 2776.55. This price includes no other insurance except for the standard .60 per pound per article.

2. I then just had Atlantic Relocation Services (Atlas) come by and the estimator in my opinion was very rude. Ok I have 80% of the stuff already packed, marked with whats in it, sealed, and piled along the wall. When asked what was in the boxes I tried to explain and he was like if I cant see whats in them then all I am going to do is measure and give you a non binding estimate. After he measured he came up with an estimated weight of 3115 pounds and a non binding price of 2223.47. This price as well does not include any other insurance except for the standard .60 per pound per article. Has anyone else had estimators act like this? I mean I am moving in three weeks and since I am living with my parents and have two children you never know what you have until its all pretty much packed. Not only that but my husband is in military and up until two days ago we didnt even know when he was going to be back. I personally am not one to wait til the last minute to start packing. I have other things to do. Before the ones come next week should I try to better organize the boxes?? This is the only estimator that had a problem with how they are now.

Anyway....I am still waiting for estimates from Great Plains (North American) and All American Moving Services (Mayflower). Once I get them I will post what they give. Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:41 pm

Gabe, Graebel is a good company, but you are off a little on some of your info....First, the chargebacks are not unlawful, and have not been proven so in court. We don't charge our drivers for trailer tires or maintenance or PLPD, but some do, and its usually reflected in the commissions....if its in the contract, its in the contract. Second, Unigroup has no plans to kill Mayflower, it is in fact thriving, since it's the most recognized name in moving. The white trailers make it easier for a white tractor to pull either MF or United.
GNTE are not the choice of the mover, they are the choice of the customer....The first rule of selling, is " Find out what the customer wants" If thats what they want, you can provide it or not, and if you don't, someone else will. BTW Bekins is to thank for the binding estimate, about 1984 or so. But you are right, overflows are awful, and they are usually caused by poor estimating, but sometimes when dispatcher get desperate, they assign 3,000 or 4,000 lbs more than capacity, hoping for the best. Lots of finger crossing goes on in dispatch, during the summer, believe me. But the cost of overflows is borne by the mover, not the shipper, in most circumstances ( GTNE).

Going back to what you said was unlawful, you have been getting some bad info somewhere....all that stuff is in your contract, if you were paying it, you agreed to it in a legal contract. Even if you are not paying it, your commissions have probably been lowered to offset it. And lets face it, a nice new trailer requires very little maintenance, and tires should go close to 2 years......

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Laura, you are really getting 7 estimates? Wow, thats going to make 6 people very unhappy, and I hope by the time you get to person 6-7 that you can remember what person 1-2-3-4 said.

3 estimates from legitmate movers is plenty, any more is causing too many people to spin their wheels.

laraalley

Postby laraalley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:54 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:Laura, you are really getting 7 estimates? Wow, thats going to make 6 people very unhappy, and I hope by the time you get to person 6-7 that you can remember what person 1-2-3-4 said.

3 estimates from legitmate movers is plenty, any more is causing too many people to spin their wheels.

Yes I am really getting 7 estimates. After two of them today they will be damn lucky if I choose to go with them.

laraalley

Postby laraalley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Well I guess its up to Mayflower at least from todays quotes. I just got the one from NorthAmerican and there is no way that I am going to pay 1000.00 for a day pickup charge when the service is not needed. Thats just crazy. I hope I have better luck next week. I have United, Graebel, and Stevens coming.

Return to “Open Community”