Moving from GA to WI

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
woodcarverdave

Moving from GA to WI

Postby woodcarverdave » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm

I am moving a 4 bedroom house from Georgia to Wisconsin at the end of July. We received 3 quotes and all were about the same. 17000 to 19000 lbs. ($10,000). Our choice was to go with A.C. White Moving Systems in Atlanta but when I received the Bound Estimate the sheet listed United Van Lines, in Fenton MO. I'm confused. I searched carefully through this forum for reputable movers and got estimates from ones that others had positive experiences with. I thought A.C. White would be the actual movers. I guess I'm just a newbie. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I am also concerned about the Additional Services Price List that the "designated representative may request or that may be necessary to deliver your household goods shipment." Services such as: Extra Stops; Self Storage; Extra labor; 1st Day Storage-In-Transit ($1083.64); Delivery Out of Storage-In-Transit ($2977.70). Can the driver decide these extra services?
Thank you for any help you can give.

farrah7031

Re: Moving from GA to WI

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:58 pm

AC White is the local agent and United is the national van line. That's how they work.

All those charges are if the customer requests them, not the driver. They're telling you that if you change your mind and want those services, they will charge for them. That should be no big surprise. :)

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 pm

You're in very good hands with this company. No need to worry.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:16 pm

This is a very reputable company in your area. You should not have any problems whatsoever. By law, all moving companies are required to disclose those "possible" additional charges. If other companies did not disclose all of those costs they were not doing their job completely or properly.

The charges that are storage related would only be if you indicated you could not accept the delivery on the scheduled date during the delivery spread. Occasionally, an individual's closing does not get completed as planned, in which case there would either be storage or waiting time. You could choose delivery to a mini or self storage, but liability ends at time of delivery and you still have to move it from the self storage facility to your new residence. Which alot of customers just opt for storage in transit if it's going to be a short time frame. The shuttle charge is more common than most of the others that are listed, and would apply if the tractor and trailer is not able to access your delivery address due to narrow roads, low hanging limbs, ordinances that does not allow trucks, etc.

Knowing all of this information in advance, informs, educates and keeps you from surprises at the end. It is for your protection - it is not a scam.

As Farrah indicated, the carrier is United Van Lines and not A.C. White. The carrier is responsible for all moves that are Interstate (from one state to another). A.C. White's licensing would apply if you were not moving out of the state of Georgia either locally in the area or Intrastate (within the state).
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

woodcarverdave

Postby woodcarverdave » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Thank you so very much for the answers. I will post a reply and let you know how the move goes.

What a great site this is. :D

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:51 am

HI Woodcarver Dave, my name is A. C. White III, and my grandfather started our company 82 years ago. I took over when my dad retired, and my son (ACWhite IV)is ready to take over when I retire. Your question about the ACWhite/United paperwork is valid, but it is nothing to be alarmed about. Nearly all major movers use a network of agents, to assist in various parts of a move. No mover can have an office in every city, but using the parent company network means we have a fellow agent at destination, to assist with setup, reservicing appliances, labor for the driver, claims assistance, etc. The United 'umbrella' means that you have the full resources of United Van Lines ( who also owns Mayflower) available to you. United Van Lines has the 48 state operating authority that allows our trucks to go to all states, using their authority. The fact that you are booking your move with ACWhite, and the paperwork says United Van lines is proper and standard. While we have 30 over the road trucks, United/Mayflower has about 8,000. We haul most of our booked shipments on our own trucks, and I will arrange to do that on your move, should you elect to use us. In fact, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you are satisfied with our service, you can call me anytime, before, during or after your move, if you have any questions or concerns.
<Moderators Note: Removed company contact information as that constitutes advertising>
Archie White

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 am

Archie, no advertising!

:wink:

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:58 am

sorry about that. I was so excited to see someone posting about such a nice move they plan to book with us, that I got carried away.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:07 am

:P

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:11 am

<snort> Archie, you crack me up. :D

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:18 am

Dave, they removed my phone and website info, but PM me thru this system if you need to.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 am

Dave, Archie can be trusted.

woodcarverdave

Postby woodcarverdave » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Thank you so very much. We are now actually getting excited about the move. I never thought that would happen. The people at A.C. White have been extremely helpful and so nice. The gentleman who gave us the estimate didn’t even laugh at all the scraps of wood I have. (I tell my wife it could be worse, I could collect rocks :) )

We will definitely be moving with A.C. White. My wife and I are in a bit of a bind since we both have to work up till the day we move. I should have explained that some of the cost I mentioned is for packing.

We had a bad experience 20 years ago moving from Texas to Virginia. The mover showed up a day early on Sunday morning, I had to go to church (I was the church organist and it was my last Sunday) and when we got back home, they were throwing our boxes to each other out the second story window. Not a very pleasant memory.

Thank you again. I love this site and will probably keep reading the messages even after I move.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:04 pm

:lol: Nice catch on this one, Archie. :lol:

Keep us posted on your move, Dave. I'd like to have more reviews of how A.C. White (the company) performs.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Archie - we're all watching, you better take care of this customer - do you feel our eyes?????? :P

Woodcarverdave - we like to give Archie a hard time when we get the chance, but in all seriousness his company is rock solid, I can't remember a time that I didn't know of A.C. White. I'm glad you're getting excited - I hope to see you around after the move and look forward to your review and any other input you can contribute on the site. With the weight of 17000-19000 pounds you must have ALOT of wood scraps!!! :lol: Don't go starting any rock collections before your move now!! :lol:
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Return to “Open Community”