*Newbie to board: Moving from MD to FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hmwende

*Newbie to board: Moving from MD to FL

Postby hmwende » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:17 pm

Hello, I'm Heather

I can't tell you how excited I am that this resource exists! It's so nice to have some guidance with one of the largest decisions I've made in my life.

WE are moving from Baltimore to Bradenton, Florida and after reading this site I have scheduled appointments with the following moving companies:

Perry Moving (they were recommended by someone who had used them)
www.perrymoving.com info@perrymoving.com
301-362-5600
Have an appointment tomorrow. Very impressed so far. Family owned for three generations, one of the sons answered the phone and will be doing the estimate. Answered my questions about my anxiety regarding negative stories I've heard very patiently and made me feel secure.

Von Paris (Recommended by Brennan's (who my boss used and loved) because they only do local moves)
410-888-8500
www.vonparis.com
USDOT #077949 ICC #MC-67234
Waiting to hear back to schedule an appointment

JK Moving (Found them through internet search for piano movers, gave a tentative $6000 quote over phone, not including packing)
www.jkmoving.com
301-340-6683
USDOT # 1065394
VCC – HG443
Have an appointment on Friday

Hilldrup Moving (Based on reviews I found on this site)
www.hilldrup.com
703-221-7155
DOT # 077949 ICC# MC-67234
Waiting to hear back to schedule an appointment

Moyer & Sons (Based on reviews I found on this site)
www.moyerandsons.com/
13050 Shawnee Lane, Clarksburg, MD 20871
(301) 869-3896 (800) 726-1817
ICC #147853
So far, very impressed that they fit me in this week even though initially they said they were all booked up. Appointment tomorrow

Please let me know if you have any thoughts about these choices. I will certainly follow up when I get more information

farrah7031

Re: Newbie to board: Moving from MD to FL

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:22 pm

We have reviews for all the companies you have listed except Perry, and they're all great companies:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7639#57639

Perry has only been doing interstate moving since 2003, but they do have 8 drivers and 8 trucks, which is stretching it.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

They only have 1 complaint at the BBB for the past 3 years, so that's a good sign.
http://www.baltimore.bbb.org/commonrepo ... d=23013794

farrah7031

Re: Newbie to board: Moving from MD to FL

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Just one thing, Hilldrup and Von paris are both United agents, so your estimates should be exactly the same. You should choose one or the other to get an estimate from.

hmwende

Re: **Newbie to board: Moving from MD to FL

Postby hmwende » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:17 pm

WONDERFUL information! Thank you! I have an appointment with Von Paris and Hilldrup never called back. Therefore, when they do, I'll simply tell them that we already have it covered. That will give me a total of 4 quotes and I'm sure that will be enough. Thanks again!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:20 pm

Heather,

Can you give me any more info about your boss's move with Brennan's? I would like to add this review, even though it is secondhand, to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:29 am

Farrah Honey, ( may I call you Honey?) Just because they are both United, that does not mean they will be exactly the same. Each estimator will walk thru and give his/her opinion of the weight and carton count, and then apply whatever discount they are allowed, so there could be huge differences. Same with Mayflower/United, the actual price is set by the salesperson, and everybody sees things differently. Just to clear that up, in case it could be misunderstood.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 am

Thanks Archie, and yes, you can call me anything you like and I'll probably even respond to it! :twisted:

hmwende

Postby hmwende » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Hello,
My boss was extremely enthusiastic about Brennan's. She said it was a perfect move and she couldn't be happier. She commented that the movers were very professional, hard working, and friendly. Apparently, they mistakenly broke the leg of her daughter's particle board nightstand (had no value). They were over and over very apologetic even after my boss said that it was no big deal. When I called to request a quote and found out that they don't do interstate they were very kind in making a referral to Von Paris.

Heather

hmwende

Postby hmwende » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:16 pm

Our quotes include packing for only our glassware in the kitchen and dining room and a glass tabletop. We are going to pack the rest.

All of the companies impressed me in one way or another and we would have no problems hiring any of them. We are deciding between JK and Perry. Moyer was the most expensive, and while Von Paris is extremely reputable and gave us the lowest great price, we really like the personal attention of the family run independent companies. We also like the fact that there is a bit more of personal attention with them.

Perry Moving (they were recommended by someone who had used them)
www.perrymoving.com info@perrymoving.com
301-362-5600
Have an appointment tomorrow. Very impressed so far. Family owned for three generations, one of the sons answered the phone and will be doing the estimate. Answered my questions about my anxiety regarding negative stories I've heard very patiently and made me feel secure.

Sam Perry was the estimator. He was extremely wholesome, trustworthy, and friendly. He was very assuring about their moving practices. He spent an hour at the house and used an electronic PDA with wireless printer to give us an estimate on the spot. Very detailed visit and extremely professional.

Quote: Non-binding with no GNTE. Stated that they purposefully overestimate the weight and that usually the weight comes in 10% lower than estimated.

Weight: 9104
Estimate: $5633.24
Transportation: $3923
IRR Surcharge: $156.93
Origin Fee: $233.98
Destination Fee: 94.45
Fuel Surcharge: $235.40
Packing: 466.17
Piano: $200 (includes dishes, 3 mirrors, 2 beds)
Insurance: $323 with $250 deductible

Von Paris (Recommended by Brennan's (who my boss used and loved) because they only do local moves)
410-888-8500
www.vonparis.com
USDOT #077949 ICC #MC-67234

The most professional and polished estimator that came – Bill Adamo. Very tight and put together image for the company. I felt badly because I was distracted and a bit rushed because a realtor was bringing someone over to see the house at the same time. We sat down and discussed the company and procedures. He also shared things I should watch for from other companies. Not sure this “selling’ technique works for me. However, he was very thorough in taking inventory and spent an hour at the house. He wrote out the estimate on a form and used a hand calculator to give me an estimate on the spot. Most particular about mover responsibilities and a bit less personalized than some of the other companies.

Quote: Non-binding with GNTE
Weight: 7300
Estimate: $4032
GNTE: $4032
Transportation: $2853.71
IRR Surcharge: $113.43
Origin Fee: $163.56
Destination Fee: $66.02
Fuel Surcharge: $170.14
Packing: $495.83
Unpacking: 125.60
Piano: $61.39 (includes dishes, 3 mirrors, 2 beds, dining room table glasstop)
Insurance: $340 with $250 deductible

JK Moving (Found them through internet search for piano movers, gave a tentative $6000 quote over phone, not including packing)
www.jkmoving.com
301-340-6683
USDOT # 1065394
VCC – HG443
Have an appointment on Friday

Very polished and professional visit from Joe Jagemann. Was friendly and personable. Very put together image of the company. Spent a good deal of time discussing company and showing brochure. Explained their thorough training program, background checks for employees, profit sharing, and also explained that damage to walls are covered (no other company mentioned that). Made sure I felt comfortable and all questions were answered. Spent 1 hour at the house and developed a quote on the spot with a wireless printer.

Quote: Non-binding with GNTE
Weight: 7500
Estimate: $4861.75
GNTE: $5,500
Transportation: $3415.10
Origin Fee: $197.70
Destination Fee: $79.80
Fuel Surcharge: $204
Property & Casualty Adjustment: $136
Packing: $406
Unpacking: 25
Piano: $144 (includes dishes, 3 mirrors, 2 beds)
Insurance: $with $250 deductible

Surprised after reading this website that they actually gave us the second lowest quote.

Hilldrup Moving (Based on reviews I found on this site)
www.hilldrup.com
703-221-7155
DOT # 077949 ICC# MC-67234
I called and spoke to a woman who said that someone would call back to schedule an appointment but I never got a return call.

Moyer & Sons (Based on reviews I found on this site)
www.moyerandsons.com/
13050 Shawnee Lane, Clarksburg, MD 20871
(301) 869-3896 (800) 726-1817
ICC #147853
So far, very impressed that they fit me in this week even though initially they said they were all booked up. Appointment tomorrow

Jason Moyer provided the estimate. Company image is not as professional or polished as others who provided a quote but was very polite, efficient, and to the point. The visit was less than ½ hour, he took inventory and then we sat down to discuss the company and procedures. Was also very reassuring and made sure all questions were answered. He stated that we would have an emailed estimate within 3 days and it came 2 days later.

Quote: Binding Contract
Weight: 8500
Estimate: $7744.63
Transportation: $6780
Packing: $964.63

Estimate was very vague only providing the above information

MusicMom

Re: *Newbie to board: Moving from MD to FL

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:00 am

I don't know much about Perry, but at this site, that could be a good thing. :wink: you have a good personal reference for them and seem to like their estimator. But you should ask them to make thier estiamte a GNTE, so you know your bill will not go over that amount, but it could be lower. It's the safest for the consumer, since a non-binding can go either up or down depending on the actual weight.

I'm very surprised that Moyer came in higher than JK. Usually JK is the priciest of all the quotes. Check over the estimated inventory and see if something's missing or different. But JK is a good company, has very good comments.

Von Paris, an excellent company with the lower price, is the only one to have given a GNTE. I don't think you should discount them just yet.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 am

I agree with MM. Also, Heather, a quote can't be both Nonbinding and a GNTE. With reference to JK specifically, did they give you a Nonbinding quote and then a different, higher, quote as a GNTE quote? Maybe that's what you meant. If so, that is legitimate.

What people have to be careful about is that some less scrupulous companies will misrepresent a Nonbinding quote as a GNTE, stating that the customer will have to pay only 110% of the Nonbinding quote on delivery day, and that is "the same as a GNTE." It is not. The customer is still responsible for paying the full amount of the charges after 30 days. Be sure to get a genuine GNTE.

Thanks so much for the fuller review of Brennan's, which I'll add to the Superlist. I gather that it was a local move.

weem

Postby weem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:29 pm

For informational purposes--Bill Adamo has about 35 years experience and he is a straight shooter--get the binding not to exceed from him and use that as the base comparison for your final decision.

Return to “Open Community”