Moving from Rhode Island to Colorado

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Sambuk

Re: Moving from Rhode Island to Colorado

Postby Sambuk » Mon May 07, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks. But conlon is charging $1500 and they will be using a third party as you said. And coast to coast I am pretty sure does do colorado. I am waiting for a call back with definite quote. And the girl quoted me $1050. So I would rather go with a known vendor who is reputable and cheaper than go with mystery vendor chosen by conlon.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 07, 2007 11:43 am

I totally agree! I just didn't want to make you worry too much if you had to go with Conlon. Interesting price difference, by the way. I suppose that commissions for a few people are built into Conlon's price. :wink:

Sambuk

Postby Sambuk » Tue May 08, 2007 8:57 am

Golden Key does go to colorado for $1025
Coast to coast goes there for $1050
Prostar gave me a quote for $1300 online and $1500 ($200 difference from going to denver versus going to fort collins) - I got the online quote after I talked to them

We already had talked to coast to coast before I got the golden key quote. I thought they wouldn't be able to do it because I thought I had read on here that they needed a lot of lead time. Also, I wasnt sure if they went to colorado. Plus, the woman at coast to coast was flexible. She said she could get the car to colorado on the 19th or 20th but that she would need a backup location in case the car got there before we did since we are flying in on the 19th. Also, She said she could pick up the car on the 14th or 15th. And I told her that they might have to pick it up in massachusetts and not rhode island if they pick it up on the 15th because our closing is on the 15th and then we will be staying with my mom in MA. She said that is fine we just all will have to be a little flexible.

I was wondering though, do I need to ask them about what kind of paperwork they will give me before they take the car? When I was moved out here with my company, they told me they would give me paperwork to write down all the existing scratches and damage to the car before they took it so we would have some baseline if there was damage done to it in transit. But when they arrived to pick up the car they had NO paperwork. What is the general protocol?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 am

Hi - thanks for this interesting comparison of prices. Do you want your car delivered to Fort Collins or to Denver? Which city did ProStar say was more expensive?

Auto transport companies usually have the driver inspect your car (with you standing there) and fill out a sheet noting the condition at pickup. Then when the car is delivered its condition will be compared with the original paperwork. You can ask the various companies about this, but this is the way it's usually done. I believe some drivers may also photograph the car.

Sambuk

Postby Sambuk » Tue May 08, 2007 10:21 am

I called Coast to Coast and they said they would fill out the paperwork noting the condition of the car before transport. You gave me a good idea though. I am going to take pictures of it before it leaves.

We want it delivered to fort collins. Prostar said it would be $200 more to fort collins than denver even though fort collins is only about a 45 min drive from denver. Coast to Coast said it wasn't more expensive because the truck would most likely go through kansas or nebraska anyway so it is not out of their way.

Funny thing though about Golden Key. I wrote to them and said that I was going to go with coast to coast and this was their response:
"Not a problem, they are a better choice for this move and a wonderful company. Have a great day.

Misty Webb
Dispatch Coordinator
Golden Key Express
Phone 513-732-5810
Fax 513-732-5875
www.goldenkeyexpress.com
From Sea to Shining Sea "

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 08, 2007 10:56 am

The reason that Misty wrote that is that the owners of GK and C2C are friends and are also friends with the owner of ProStar. We tried to set this up so that the companies we endorse wouldn't be competing with each other directly for the most part. I do know that GK doesn't normally go to Colorado.

This is a good illustration of how you can often save money by booking directly with the carrier. ProStar would probably be charged extra by somebody to take your car to Fort Collins but C2C knew that its truck would be going through there anyway. Still, brokers are often necessary if the good carriers are all booked up for the routes people need. And ProStar is a good broker.

Sambuk

Postby Sambuk » Tue May 08, 2007 11:13 am

Thanks for all the info. You have been great. I will give you a follow up once we actually move. We are packing on Friday (5/11) and loading on monday (5/14/). And we will be in colorado on May 20th. Supposedly, it will take about 7 days for our belongings to get to colorado. We would have done a pod but it is just as expensive as doing a full service mover and with a child (I dont say a baby because she just turned 1) and my husband working, it would be very difficult to do it ourselves. We have been going through our stuff and trying to throw away the stuff we dont want. But we will see if it makes a difference in the quote we got. We got a fixed bid, which hopefully will be lowered if the weight is less than they estimate. We went with conlon because the point person there, Christine Patalano, has been very professional and responsive and willing to answer any questions we have. And when we looked at all the companies we got bids from, the rates were all the same. The quotes only varied because they estimated different weights and different number of boxes. I tried calling rainbow back to get a fixed but or not to exceed bid but no one called me back. So, we just went with conlon.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue May 08, 2007 11:34 am

Good choice...Conlon's owner is a member of the Unigroup ( United/Mayflower) board of directors, and they will provide you with professional service, instead of charging you more, like PODS, and then you having to do the actual 'work'. I cannot believe how anybody could choose PODS or any of the other do it yourselfs, when a preofessional van line agent will do all the work, for about the same price, sometimes less, sometimes more. Most people who have ever moved themselves, (unless they have a tiny load) don't do it again, it's real hard work.

Sambuk

Our Move from Rhode Island to Colorado - Conlon

Postby Sambuk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:56 pm

I am SO sorry we took so long to do this update. It has been really hard getting settled here in colorado.

We did hire Conlon. We used Christine Patalano. She was very helpful and very professional. We did have some issues and problems with the move but she dealt with problems immediately and professionally and was very accommodating.

We did have an initial confrontation because we had asked Christine if we could use our old wardrobe boxes for this move. (we had been moved out to rhode island by united van lines 2 years earlier and had kept all the boxes.) The packing crew told us they wouldn't do it because it was against policy. But we insisted because the boxes were very expensive. We called Christine and she said that she had misunderstood what we wanted to do. She thought we would be packing those boxes ourselves. And that it isn't their policy to have the packers pack used boxes. But the leader of the packing crew agreed to have them do it anyway because it was a misunderstanding.

I have to say the packing crew was a little strange. One of the guys was very nice but he seemed like he was still a little drunk from the night before. Anyway, after about 5 hours of packing, it was time for a walk through. We thought that they had packed everything so we signed off and said it was a complete job. They left us a few boxes to pack our last things because we were staying over the weekend and the truck was going to come on monday with a crew to load everything. However, when we started to look through the house we realized they had left A LOT of stuff behind. It took my husband the whole weekend to pack all the things that mostly the half drunken guy had left behind.

The driver of a mayflower truck showed up right on time - 8 AM on monday - the day of the move. We may just be inexperienced but we were really surprised that they subcontracted out the move to mayflower. He had three people meet him there to pack and move. One of the people, I guess he knew and had hand picked. However, that guy ended up leaving early because he felt sick. His dad had driven down from new hampshire to pick him up. The driver complained to my husband about how this guy had begged him for work and now was bailing on him.

The other two had never met him before (which I found out because neither of them knew his name when I asked) although they represented themselves as being from Conlon. The truck driver although nice, didn't seem to like his job much. His name was Bob I believe. He also kept complaining that I had them do a fixed bid for the move because he was afraid he would lose money on it. His comments kind of bothered me but I told him that we had thrown away a lot of stuff since christine had done the estimate so I doubted it would be over the estimate anyway.

They were moving furniture out of the basement and they banged one of the walls in the basement with the piece of furniture. There was a big hole in the plaster. While, I know the plaster was not in the best shape, we had had several big items moved in and out of the basement with no damage. Our real estate agent told us to just leave it because we were selling the house but I didn't feel comfortable with that. So we called Christine to tell her that we needed to have it fixed. The driver of the truck, bob, said that it wasn't their fault because the plaster was very brittle and could easily be chipped off by just leaning on it (which wasn't true). And he continued to complain about the fact that the money was going to come out of his pocket.

Christine came over right away and took pictures and confronted the driver about it. And by the end of the day, she/conlon agreed that they would work with the new home owner to fix the wall.

The movers also made significantly worse some crumbling plaster on the front steps of the house. But we didn't report that because we knew the new home owner was aware that the front steps needed to be replaced. But we were really disappointed that they had caused so much additional damage the day before the new owner was to take possession.

The driver seemed really nervous the whole day because he was worried he would have to pay for the damage.

After about 6 or more hours of loading our stuff into the truck, they were finally done. We were told that our stuff would arrive in fort collins, CO on tuesday of the next week but actually it came in early and arrived on monday morning.

This time the crew that the driver brought was much better. They were helpful and took direction well. We had them put most of our boxes in the garage of our rented townhome (temp housing) and the rest in the third bedroom so we could have easy access to some of our personal things. The crew actually said even that we could hire them on the side (cheap) to help us move our stuff to our new home once we bought a house.

Anyway, the driver had his wife (also a driver) and his dog with him. The dog was a VERY undisciplined and mean german shepherd that barked ferociously at everyone who walked by including children. He had the dog tied up to the truck. I had issues with the facts that his dog was mean and outside scaring everyone and barking at my 12 month old daughter and that the dog was being kept in the back of a truck on long halls and was being tied up to the truck at all (and wasn't trained). It was an uncomfortable situation and I had to ask him to put the dog back in the truck because he was scaring all the neighbors.

The truck driver asked me if I was glad to be in colorado. I told him I was just tired of moving ( we had moved a lot this year - long story). And the driver said "me too." So it really solidified my feeling that he didn't like his job which I didn't really appreciate as a client.

Anyway, so over all the move was ok. Christine was very professional and was very helpful when problems came up. And conlon did agree to fix the damage. I believe our actual cost was $900 cheaper than the original bid. I dont remember that actual amount it cost but I believe it was around $5K total for the move of our stuff (not including the car - which I will do a separate review for because we went through a different vendor).

Sambuk

Re: Moving from Rhode Island to Colorado - Coast to Coast

Postby Sambuk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 pm

I cannot say enough good things about coast to coast. I do not remember the name of the guy who moved our car. I think it may have been Art. But he was phenomenal. We didn't know if we would be in Rhode Island or in Massachusetts when the guy would come to pick up the car. We were given a window of time in which he would pick up the car and we were moving out of our house during that time period so we didn't know if we would still be in the house or at my mom's in MA. Coast to Coast was very accommodating. The driver called us when he got to Worcester the evening that the movers came and took our stuff away. So we were on our way to massachusetts. He arranged to pick up the car from my husband at a midway point in MA that he had used before. He knew the area and he was able to accurately estimate when he would be there because he seemed very experienced. His communication was excellent and so was his professionalism.

I didnt go with my husband to drop off the car because I had to go home and put my daughter to bed. But my mom and husband did go. And they said they had never seen a guy so on point. He was professional, he knew what he was doing. He did a total once over of the car to document all the scratches and dings and had all the appropriate paperwork on him. They were extremely impressed. He said he would arrive with the car the same day we were arriving in colorado ( we were flying to colorado that coming saturday). He also said he would call us when he got close to get a mutually agreed upon place to meet. But he was afraid he would get there before us, so we gave him my sister in law's phone number so they could get the car if it came in before we landed.

It ended up being that he did get there before we arrived. We were able to talk to him during our layover in chicago and we arranged for him to meet my brother in law to pick up the car. They were going to meet in a pull off area on the side of a highway near in pierce Co, not far from where my sister and brother in law live. (they live about 40 miles north of fort collins in the middle of the plains). I guess the driver parked his truck and for some reason he agreed to drive the car out to my brother and sister in law's house and have them drive him back to his truck. I guess his truck wouldn't drive on the dirt roads that go to their house. Anyway, we all thought it was extremely accommodating for him to do this. It was an unusual level of customer service. And as far as we can tell (knock on wood) the car is in perfect condition.

Diane

Re: **Moving from Rhode Island to Colorado

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:12 am

Sambuk,

Thanks so much for these two reviews, of Conlon and Coast to Coast. Quite a contrast. It helps when drivers like their jobs. I know that C2C's owners put major effort into supporting their drivers with hospitality when they go through Boise, annual bonuses, and so on.

Conlon's sales rep seems to have done a very good job but the packers and loaders left something to be desired and the Mayflower driver was apparently pretty much a bust. I really don't like that bit about the mean dog. Do you know what company the unloading crew came from in Fort Collins?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Sambuk

Re: **Moving from Rhode Island to Colorado

Postby Sambuk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:19 am

No, I dont know what company they came from. But if we use them when we move to a house, I will find out for you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks. Most likely they came from a United or Mayflower agent in the area.

Just a note, not to blame you or anything, but you initially posted that Moovers' quote of about $5800 to move about 8000 pounds was "outrageous." However, I gather from your later posts that the quotes from other companies were either in the same ballpark (Conlon) or actually much more. For anyone reading this later, I just want to correct any impression that Moovers was price-gouging.

Reviewing what you posted earlier about Christine's quote, I see that her communication with you was excellent in showing all possible costs and explaining things clearly. She seems like an outstanding sales rep. Some reps would just have washed their hands of the matter when the loading crew damaged the plaster in the basement.

Return to “Open Community”