Help with move from NC to MO

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tparkrez

Help with move from NC to MO

Postby tparkrez » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm

I am moving from Durham, NC to St Louis, MO. I am moving to a new job and they are taking care of the moving costs. To get discounts they suggest several moving companies that are located in St Louis. They are Cord Moving (North American), Graebel St Louis Moving, and Dodge Mayflower Moving. I called all of them and they sent local companies out to provide estimates. These local companies are DeHaven's Transfer and Storage (North American), Graebel Raleigh Movers, and All American relocation (Mayflower). They've all provided very equivalent quotes.

I have two questions. Does anyone have experience with any of these companies? And when researching companies do I need to be more worried about the local companies in Durham/Raleigh who will be handling the moving (I think that's who'd handle the packing, loading, etc.), the companies in St Louis, or both? That last question may be a very naive question, but this is my first time using a moving company.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by tparkrez on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Re: Help with move from NC to MO

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:01 pm

If your employer is paying for the move AND has contracts with the three St. Louis companies you list, you will probably get a good move regardless of which one you use. That is because the company won't want to jeopardize the long-term relationship that it has with your employer, i.e. the possibility of moving other people.

That said, you might want to look at this post to see what has been said here about the three companies in Raleigh - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7104#77104

Although both the booking company (the one in St. Louis) and the origin agent company (the one in Raleigh) are important, the origin agent company is probably more important because it is not only the one that did the estimate but the one that will be loading up your things on the truck - and also packing them in boxes if you ask for that service.

Of the companies you name, it looks to me from the reviews as if Graebel might be the strongest - but again, only if your employer has a contract (account) with Graebel to move its employees.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bklait

Postby bklait » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:02 pm

I am a 18 year employee (driver) of McCollister's (I work from the Burlington NJ office) We have an office in Morrisville NC. It was/is small but is growing by leaps and bounds. Your best bet to help plan your move would be to visit the local offices of the moving companies recomended (after doing that you will rule out DeHaven's) Keep in mind that the headquarters for United/Mayflower is located in Fenton MO (suburb of StLouis). By visiting the offices/yards you get a feel for how the companies operate, you don't even need to go inside, just a drive by can get you a sense of what you are dealing with. McCollisters (United Agent) has there headquarters in Burlington NJ and the owner (H. Daniel McCollister) is the current President of United. Chances are if you were to use our company our local agent would do the packing and one of the trucks from Burlington would come out to load the shipment and drive it to your new home. If you have any questions feel free to ask I will do my best to answer.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:26 pm

I believe that there are varying opinions of Dan McCollister, but leaving that aside, I agree that if the Original Poster isn't tied to the three companies he names, he might want to look further.

Besides the United agents Armstrong, Hilldrup, and McCollister's, Excel was reportedly Allied's agent of the year for the last two years.

bklait

Postby bklait » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:45 pm

There are DEFINITELY many strong opinions on Dan Mccollister, from anyone he has ever met. One thing you CAN say about him is he leaves an impression :wink: . Definitely look around, remember you can tell a lot about a person/company by the "house" that they keep. Trash is a part of any business, but even trash has a place. A well kept/organized warehouse and facilities would have to be a plus. I am a little influenced in my thoughts, after 18 years I can't help it. I do a lot of work with Hilldrup in richmond (my normal route is NJ-VA-NC, concentrating on Richmond/VA beach) I am not a household mover, I move computer equip. The hilldrup in Richmond (United #606) is well kept and maintained, I would like to think that they are a reflection of the entire Hilldrup Companies. Remember United and Mayflower are one in the same, they "cross-haul" If you hire a yellow/white (United) don't be real surprised to see a green (Mayflower) come to your home.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:50 am

It's good to see another driver participating in this forum, and I wish the ones that used to post would come back. There is no person closer to a move ( good or bad) than the driver. By the way, Dan Mc is the Chairman of the Board of Unigroup, Rich McClure is the Pres. Small correction. Even though Bklait says he is an electronics hauler, he probably got his start in HHG and knows that department too.

But whether you like him or not, Dan Mc has built what was not a big company when he took it over, into a giant company, that is well respected and does more business just as an agent, than most van lines. If Mccollisters split off into it's own van line, they would probably be about the 4th or 5th largest, just on their own. They are very aggressive. And Bklait is right, you can tell what you are dealing with just by driving past the facility of the mover you are considering....a visit inside the warehouse will also tell you the story of how they run their business. Even if you don't need storage, should they keep a dirty warehouse, chances are the trucks and crews are dirty tooo,and vice versa.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:07 pm

Well McCollisters in Raleigh isnt growing by leaps and bounds, having worked there I would know. And their facility isnt anything to go ga ga over. They moved out of the small one they were in when I worked there back into their old one which is a alrge warehouse that looks like a prison with multiple tennats.

As far as Dan goes, I will leave it at what Diane and Archie says. But I will say I dont think they are growing as much as a Armstrong, Suddath or Hilldrup. Thus I would put them maybe in a top 10-15 indep. agent as opposed to a top 5. Heck when I was there they opened and closed more doors (agencies) then you can shake a stick at, and the Raleigh office was one that there was talk of closing. Raleighs bread and butter is on the electronic side, not the HHG side.

As far as agents you mentioned here. All American by far out shines Graebel Raleigh and Dehavens.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 pm

My point, poorly stated, was that when Dan took his company over, late 60's or early 70's, they had one little place in Burlington NJ and now they do 100 million or more. I ain't privvy to much other than rough numbers.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:14 pm

Oh I do agree there Archie, no doubt about where he atarted and has it today. They are one of the finer commoditiy companies out there.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:27 pm

To the Original Poster;

Please note what Michael says about All American being your best choice among the three you mention. He is the expert, having worked for various moving companies in Raleigh.

To bklait,

Welcome! We are very happy to have you here. I'll add your positive comments about Hilldrup Richmond to the Superlist linked to below my name. I think our regular "bedbugger" contributors are busy with the summer crush right now so it's good to have another driver posting.

To Michael,

McCollister's is known as an electronics/commodity mover primarily, right? Not as a HHG mover.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Begbuggers, now theres an old fashioned word to describe us, haven't heard it in ages.....and it sounds so much better, and requires much more skill than, dockbumpers.....

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:33 pm

To Diane, YES.

They dabble in HHG and specialize in commodities. And by dabble I dont mean they are not capable of handling HHG. But they haul more commodities then they do HHG. They are very capable of handling HHG. But like some companies mentioned lately here, they to run into the issues of holding onto shipments until drivers are available to pick them up or at least they did when I was there. But you could say that about most companies, its just the nature of the business for some.
Michael

tparkrez

Postby tparkrez » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback. While I'm not completely tied to the three companies I mentioned, it would be much easier to use one of them since they provide discounts through the university I'll be working with (which I assume means they have a contract with them) and this will help us get all of the costs covered. I will say that All American gave me the best feel when they came out and they've been the most timely when asked for information. The university contact person at Dodge (the St Louis Mayflower company) actually recommended them after looking at her own records, which none of the other companies did. However, after looking at the estimates again, it seems as though All American gave me a much lower estimate than the other two companies. Here are the estimates and weight in parentheses.

Dehaven's/Cord/North American - $11,826 (19,234) - Non-binding
Graebel - $12,135 (15,159) - Not to Exceed Cost by 110%
AllAmerican/Dodge/Mayflower - $9,451 (14,000) - Bound estimate

I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems odd to me that a bound estimate would be the lowest, but maybe that's common?

Thanks again,
Heather
Last edited by tparkrez on Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Very odd....the lowest weight/cost is too much lower than the other 2 to make me comfortable. It might move at that price, if the driver doesn't have problems with it, but if he does not have room for it, the overflow will be a hassle.

tparkrez

Postby tparkrez » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm

That's what I thought at first, but then looking at it again, it seems like the 19,000 might just be too high. I don't know.

Return to “Open Community”