*Comparing Quotes SF to NYC Chipman/Nor Cal

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sproiing

*Comparing Quotes SF to NYC Chipman/Nor Cal

Postby sproiing » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:56 pm

Okay, I've got a quote from Nor Cal and one from Chipman (oh and the first one from Moovers Inc. with the estimated 3750lbs over the phone). If I were going strictly by the customer service, Chipman wins hands down! Kevin was extremely personable, spent over an hour with me going over everything and was actually ON TIME for our appointment, while Phil- well Phil was late and didn't call, Phil was rather in a hurry and Phil had no personality.

My problem is their weight estimates are very far apart- Nor Cal estimated 2000lbs and Chipman 2700lbs. Their prices are thus $900 apart. The Chipman estimate is a binding not-to-exceed estimate based on 2900lbs. I looked over their box counts and they're not that different. I guess my concern is that Nor Cal way under estimated the weight and I'll get nailed when they actually weigh it. But $900 is $900! I think I may have already answered my own question, but perhaps someone else could weigh in? Anyone ever used Nor Cal and they've underestimated the weight? Thoughts? Help?

Diane

Re: Comparing Quotes SF to NYC Chipman/Nor Cal

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:07 pm

NorCal is an Allied agent and Allied has a Small Moves program whereby people's goods are boxed up in a wooden crate and shipped by common carrier (a freight hauler). I would ask their sales rep whether that is how your goods are going to be moved. If so, that would explain the lower quote because the cost to the moving company/van line is lower than sending the goods on an air-ride trailer designed to move household goods.

Mayflower has a similar Small Shipment program and "BigLeeCalif" has said to me in a Private Message that the goods are packaged so well that there is almost never any damage. However, the different means of transport - if this is what is going to happen - is something that you might want to consider when making your choice.
Last edited by Diane on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Re: *Comparing Quotes SF to NYC Chipman/Nor Cal

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:08 pm

IF they overestimated the weight, your price will be lower based on your actual weight, with Chipman.

But there isn't going to be an increase in Nor Cal's price, unless a shuttle is needed at either end or packing costs, etc. The drive won't dispute 900 pounds most likely. Did they give you a binding estimate?

nsanywhere

Postby nsanywhere » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:22 pm

I used Chipman from SF to Pennsylvania in Mid May 2007. I also spoke with Kevin and Phil and completely agree about your asessment. Kevin was great, Phil was late and couldn't care less.

I got quotes from Chipman, NorCal, and 2 others I've now forgotten. I went with Chipman based mainly on customer service, but Kevin also under estimated the weight by about 600 lbs so I got a great deal :-) Maybe that's why your's is higher now?!

anyway, I'd highly recommend Chipman. they were on time, great communication, not one thing was broken, bent, lost, etc. and I was very happy with my move.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm

Diane,
The Allied Small Move Program is done thru the Special Products Division (not a freight hauler). To my knowledge, the containers are transported on air-ride trailers.

As for this move, I lean toward choosing Chipman. Their sales rep did his job well. He deserves the business. Besides, their price is "not to exceed." What do you have to lose?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:51 pm

With Chipman there probably wouldn't be a need for the Carevan program, since Chipman has a large hauling fleet, and would probably self haul the shipment.

Estimators are allowed within the Chipman system to err by no more than 10% without penalty. I would say that 700 lbs apart in estimates isn't bad.

Nor-Cal does household moves, but their forte is special products and office moves.

My question is this.. You're moving to NYC, and depending on the area, there is a metro shuttle charge. Certain areas will not allow a tractor-trailer. On your estimate from Chipman (and Nor-Cal) there should be a section that is outlining what all the "possible" additional charges would be.

p.s. The reason I know Chipman so well is I worked for them when my previous company merged with them.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

sproiing

Postby sproiing » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Both quotes included shuttles, parking permits, and took into consideration the long carry and steep grade of the street. However, the Nor Cal quote seems to be missing the actual charge for the shutle at this end, so I'm thinking that it's about $400 off. I'm trying to clarify this with Phil. Not sure how long it will take him to call me back. If so, then Chipman is actually only about $550 more that Nor Cal.

THe other thing- the Nor Cal quote says it's a "guaranteed price pledge" and binding, but the way it's written it seems to me (being a lawyer) that they are olny bound by it if the weight comes in at 2000 lbs. Am I wrong? Is this REALLY a binding estimate? This is another question I'll be asking Phil if he ever calls me back...

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:17 pm

"Guaranteed Price Pledge" is Allied's term for a Binding quote. Your cost can't go up and down with the weight unless you try to ship a huge amount of extra things. If your quote also says "GRR" for Guaranteed Rate Reduction, then your cost can go down if the weight is less, but Allied seems to have quoted you for a minimum weight. That is why I was thinking that they might be moving it under their Small Move program.

To "nsanywhere," thanks for your review of Chipman (I assume it was the Alameda office), which I added to the Superlist linked to below my name. For those interested, this is the runup to your move - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13387
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

sproiing

Postby sproiing » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Phil just called back and yes, it's with their small move program and it's binding. This is tough! I'd really like to go with Chipman but don't know if I can ignore the extra $900!

Thanks for all your input everyone!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:35 pm

I don't know how Allied's small shipment program works, but if it is like most others, it will be loaded at your residence, taken to the agent, containerized, and then loaded onto another special products (or freight) trailer. That trailer will deliver to the destination agent, who will deliver the containers, uncrate and place the furniture for you. Special products drivers normally go dock to dock, and not residential deliveries.

So I would say if Chipmen or Allied can assure you of a direct pick up and delivery, let that be the determining factor, not the $900. Remember the more times your shipment is handled, the higher the probability of damage, and delays.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

sproiing

Re: *Comparing Quotes SF to NYC Chipman/Nor Cal Going with Chipman

Postby sproiing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:19 pm

I've talked it over with several people and the bottom line for me is the comfort level. I feel like, after my experiences with both Kevin and Phil, as well as the research I've done (and I've seen some awful complaints about Allied,) that I will feel so much more relaxed with the whole process if I go with Chipman. The extra money is worth my peace of mind.

I'll update when it's all over and let you all know how it went!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Did you ask Chipman if they would be able to self haul? Tina and Bea are their fleet dispatchers, and I know most of the drivers.

Return to “Open Community”