Moving with ABF and Loading with shea moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ymbd

Moving with ABF and Loading with shea moving

Postby ymbd » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 pm

This website has been a tremendous help!!!!! I have a move scheduled with ABF on 6/6/07 for 8 linear feet at $2082 door to door from brooklyn to fresno, tx, all thanks to this wonderful website. I reserved loading help with shea moving from 2:30pm - 6:30pm and hope and pray everthing goes well.

I will come back and give an update on thursday.

Thanks again.

Oh yes, I initially reserved loading help with albert moving to the tune of $654 :shock:. After more researching i realized not only was it too expensive but also the reviews left much to be desired. Shea is doing the same work for 1/2 the cost.

Diane

Re: *Moving with ABF and Loading with shea moving

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:48 am

Yay! :D ABF needs to rethink its mention of Albert Moving on its Resources page, in my opinion. Albert is essentially functioning as a broker referring the customer to workers from local movers, thus putting an undesirable extra layer between the customer and the actual workers. It's almost always better to eliminate the middleman (the broker) so you know who you're dealing with and can save some money (the broker's inevitable commission).

ymbd

Postby ymbd » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:41 pm

update on the move. Ok, my ABF truck was scheduled to come between the hours of 1:30pm -3:30pm. MY movers were scheduled to arrive at 2:30pm. Thankfully, my husband and neighbor were restless and decided to start bringing down the boxes. REmeber we live on a one flight walk up. It took them 2.5 hours to bring down 2/3 of the boxes :shock: and by the time they finished at 3pm my first loader from Shea moving arrived 1/2 late. He asssessed the boxes and looked releived :lol:. The other loader was stuck in manhatten traffic and arrived at 345pm. The first loader began wrapping our big butt 35in TV and wrapping out couches with the "saran wrap thing" (we supplied all things to be used). The truck arrived at 4pm (1/2 late) but was very nice and "good" to us. He unloaded the ramp and set it up.

By then the two loaders really went to "work". These two guys one short and thick the other tall and slim moved like lighting. The tall slim one loaded things in the back of the truck and the shorter one packed them up tight all the way to the top using our step ladder.

We reserved 8 feet, they estimated 15 feet but packed everything tight into 11 feet, all within two hours. WE WERE SO IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even the driver commented on their excellent packing skills.

In the end they were with us for roughly 3 hours and charged us $210. We gave them each $45 tips and they not only looked shocked but impressed. The taller one kept saying do you realize you gave us $300. :lol: :lol:

Money well spent, especially considering we almost paid albert moving $645 . Oh yeah if my husband and neigbor had not moved all those boxes. No way would have my stuff been brought down and loading into the thruck within the alloted 4 hour time and we would have paid an extra $35 per 15 minutes over the time for ABF.

All in all both companies get A's from me so far. My things are now in little rock ,ar but i hope they dont arrive until tuesday since i wont be in houston until wendesday evening and i want to take advantage of the two free day storage.

Thanks again movingscam

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks to you for this detailed review. I'll post your good remarks about Shea now and look forward to your final report on ABF.

It's useful to know that with approximately 5000 pounds of stuff (11 feet in the trailer) to be moved from a second-floor walkup, it took the equivalent of two people almost 6 hours to load. That should provide some guidance for others scheduling such a pickup in NYC.

Also, if your husband and his friend hadn't pitched in, the Shea workers might have been there for 6 hours at a cost of $420 - a little closer to the $645 bid by Albert Moving, although still far below it. I am just making a note of this for future reference.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ymbd

Postby ymbd » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Final REport.

I'm here in TEXAS YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We drove our SUV down(NEVER will do that again) and our ABF truck beat us here by 3 days. The estimated date for arrival was 6/13/07 and they reached Houston on 6/11/07. Thankfully since they worked off my estimate, I had until Friday 6/15/07 to have my trailer delivered to my new home.

On 6/14/07, 30 minutes from our home an ABF dispatcher called to find out where we were since the truck was waiting for us at home. Thankfully the truck driver waited the 30minutes for us and helped my husband set up the ramp.

As everyone mentioned, the bulk head shifted and some of my boxes were crushed but only one thing broke(our fault) a mug 8).

We used MinuteMan moving here in Houston(a small company) to assist with unloading and they were so courteous and efficient.

All in all this has been an amazing experience. ABF was wonderful, SHEA Moving was wonderful and last but not least Minute Man moving.

Thanks again to everyone for this amazing website.

Diane

Re: Moving with ABF and Loading with shea moving

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:44 am

Thanks so much for this review, which I've added to our ABF review thread.

If you see this, could you post contact info for MinuteMan Moving? I couldn't find them through a Google search.

ymbd

Postby ymbd » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Thank you Diane. I found this company on craigslist. Here is there contact information.

832-452-3336

The "owner" is a young guy in his late 20's. He and a friend (I assume) came over to help me move the boxes into the house and gave us tips and information on the outlet shopping in Houston.

Thanks again

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks so much - I added this small company to the Superlist under "Texas."
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

slyn

Postby slyn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 pm

The same Minuteman Movers came to my house this weekend - the owner, a white guy in his 20's and his friend (heavy-set black guy) and four "workers" that they proceeded to berate and curse at for 5 hours while they moved my stuff. Then, after getting payment, they proceeded to LEAVE them at my house with no money and no car! That is right - they stiffed the workers and then stranded them across town! DO NOT USE!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:46 am

Very sorry to read this, but thanks for the warning. I'll add your comments to the Superlist.
Diane

slyn

Postby slyn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:10 pm

As of this morning Minuteman Movers has changed its name to White Glove Movers, but it is still the same guy with the same phone number. I warn against using them either way!

Jacob Kowenski

Postby Jacob Kowenski » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:32 pm

slyn wrote:The same Minuteman Movers came to my house this weekend - the owner, John or Anthony Fanelli in his 20's and Mark (heavy-set black guy) and four "workers" that they proceeded to berate and curse at for 5 hours while they moved my stuff. Then, after getting payment, they proceeded to LEAVE them at my house with no money and no car! That is right - they stiffed the workers and then stranded them across town! DO NOT USE!!

BEWARE DON'T USE THEM. They changed their name to Half Price Movers 832-452-3336 ad on craigslist. At first they said to have 4 movers, well in reality, only 2 illegal mexican was doing the work. Anthony and Mark was nice at first, later when they have all your stuff in their truck before they unload, that is when things gets ugly! They will come and show you the NEW pricing and asked for payment in cash or money order before they start to unload. Make the story short, I paid over $700 on top of my quote total $1000.00 3 bed room locally move in houston. Be wise and learn from my mistake.

Diane

Re: **Moving with ABF and Loading with shea moving

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks for this review, which I've added to the Superlist.
Diane

scmtman

Postby scmtman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:11 am

Thank you for the detailed review. I will be moving TO NYC (Queens) in the end of April, and have already settled on using ABF with Shea movers to help with the unload. It is good to know that they did right by you.

I hope to provide a similar positive review when my move is complete.

Return to “Open Community”