Move from Kansas to Texas (Houston-Friendswood)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
simbha_lion

Move from Kansas to Texas (Houston-Friendswood)

Postby simbha_lion » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:46 am

I have to move in a weeks time from Kansas to Friendswood. I have contacted several moving company's nearly all of them gave their estimates via phone. The range is from $1400 to $2500.

I just had one gentleman from Berger (agent for Allied Van Lines) come over to provide an estimate. His estimate is as follows:

Transportation: $2262.48 for 4000 lbs (I don't have too many stuff)
Valuation options: $230

Supplement services-Shuttle : $555:00 ( He said sometimes the trucks are unable to come into the apartment complex so would need extra shuttle to move the boxes onto the truck)

Another person called me from some North American company which he said is a member of Allied Van Lines. He has scheduled an appointment for estimate on Monday (7/9) afternoon.

I am totally confused with all this companies sending email quotes. If anyone has some better experiences to share regarding moves from Kansas to Texas..please let me know

MusicMom

Re: Move from Kansas to Texas (Houston-Friendswood)

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:33 am

Toss out any that AREN'T based on in-home visits. If they are local, it should not be a problem, and if they're local, they should not be used.

When you get the second quote, post the details here and the pros can help you work out which one fits your needs better.

simbha_lion

Postby simbha_lion » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:33 pm

Today I had the gentleman from North American Van Lines (Agent Kings Moving and Storage) come over for estimate.

Here is the estimate he provided. He said since we were in the less then 4000 lbs range it will put us in the 4 day range and if we bump it to 4050 lbs we can be considered in the 1 day range...which meant quicker delivery. So he put down our estimate as 4050 lbs.

Transportation: $1749
Valuation: $274 (thats for zero deductible)
Fuel surcharge: $174.95
Packing: $89
Origin Service fee : $51.84
Shuttle: $378

unpacking service: $23.83
destination service fee $65.21
Shuttle service: $404.28

Total: $3,211.54

I think the rates are close to the ones gave by Berger, except he has cheaper shuttle charges. I called Berger personnel to verify if his $555 included shuttle charges for both end and he said that the shuttle charge in friendswood would be additional $504.

After reading some contents on this website, I opened yellow pages and found fry-wagner whom I have seen doing moves internally for my company. So I contacted them too and they have scheduled an appointment for tomorrow 8:00 am.

Any kind of help/inputs/feedback would be highly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:32 pm

I was just going to add you should consider an agent for United or Atlas. Fry is a very good company. As long as their weight is in line you should be good to go with any of them.

Lets us know.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

simbha_lion

Postby simbha_lion » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 am

Today morning the gentleman from Fry Wagner came over for estimate. He checked everything and his total weight estimate was 2500 Lbs.

When enquired as to why others were quoting around 4000 Lbs, he looked around again and said he doesn't think the total weight should be more than 2100Lbs but he has estimated an upper limit to 2500 Lbs.

Also regarding the shuttle, he went outside and did a survey with me and said he doesn't think a shuttle would be needed.

Here are his quote:
Transportation : $1385.46
Coverage : $198
unpacking $107.45

Total Not-To-Exceed: $1690.92

I have decided to go with Fry Wagner.

Will keep everyone posted on how things progresses.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 am

Yes, please do. I would love to have a review of them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

simbha_lion

Postby simbha_lion » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Alrighty!!!! I am in Texas...
Fry Wagner folks as scheduled came on the 17th morning...there was a quality control guy who came along with them and he checked everything to make sure that the company guys followed the move procedure to the dot.

They packed everything professionally. They were done in 2 hrs. The move co-ordinated was very good. She called me like every other day to keep me updated about the moved.

We received all our stuff on the 24th afternoon. Again the moving co-ordinator kept me posted about the status of my stuff every alternate day. The driver called me a day before and on the morning of the delivery day.

They had the stuff delivered and unpacked in two hours. I am glad the move is over and Fry Wagner was awesome. I would definitely choose them the next time I move. Also they were way cheaper than the others.

It cost me just $1527 including zero deductible coverage. I know I didn't have too much stuff with me, but their quote was half of what others had quoted.

By the way Houston is way hotter and its too humid.

All you folks who are maintaining this website....you are awesome too. I got so much useful information from this site. Thank you!!!!!

MusicMom

Re: **Move from Kansas to Texas (Houston-Friendswood)

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:24 am

By the way Houston is way hotter and its too humid.

You're not in a flooding area, are you?

Diane

Re: **Move from Kansas to Texas (Houston-Friendswood)

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks so much for this great review of Fry-Wagner, which I'm adding to the Superlist. I assume you were moving from Kansas City (?). Berger and King's both have locations in Kansas City, MO. I guess I will cross-reference this between the KS and MO state listings.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”