Two Allied Reviews: Daryl Flood (Houston), Circle Moving (Long Beach)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
stromgald30

Two Allied Reviews: Daryl Flood (Houston), Circle Moving (Long Beach)

Postby stromgald30 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:57 pm

My family has had two moves in the past few years, and I'd like to post some reviews on them. The moves involved Daryl Flood Mobility Solutions in Houston, TX and Circle Moving & Storage in Long Beach, CA.

First, was in October 2005. My brother got a new job out of college and since my parents were retired and wanted out of hot, humid Houston, they followed my brother from Houston, TX to Seattle, WA. It was a huge move that was paid by the company, so I have no idea on the price, but the weight was probably at least 15,000 lbs, if not more. A 4 bedroom house packed with stuff and some items at another location.

It was a move by Allied Van Lines, and they called on Daryl Flood in Houston to do the packing and manage the pick-up. For such a large move, they worked extremely efficiently and also went to the second location for some more packing/crating. The only compliant we had was that the two packing ladies were somewhat rude. Some of it may have been our unpreparedness, but between my mother, brother and myself, we had a tough time keeping up with the two of them to make sure that they packed the right things together. There was alot of glass (glass kitchen table, glass shelves etc.) and large pictures. It took a full day, but everything was packed quickly and efficiently.

The move happened without incident. The moving crew was friendly and even helped move stuff from the first pick-up to the second pick-up (my belongings, which would be moved in the second move described below). I’m not sure if they even charged for the extra labor.

Everything was in storage for a month and a half while they found a new house. On unpacking, we discovered a few chipped items, but nothing was seriously damaged that couldn't be replaced. The delivering company didn’t do a very good job though. I think they paid a few hundred through insurance for damages. Most of that was for banging a door frame with a desk and putting a hole in a wall of the new house. I don’t know what company handled the delivery, but I’d give the a C.

I would recommend Daryl Flood for anyone moving out of Houston though. They performed well and were very efficient.

stromgald30

Re: Two Allied Reviews: Daryl Flood (Houston), Circle Moving (Long Beach)

Postby stromgald30 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:05 pm

The second move was in late May 2006 from Houston to Los Angeles. It was a fairly small move of 2460 lbs according to the receiving document I got from Circle Moving & Storage.

Again, Allied Van Lines was used, and again I got Daryl Flood. The same two ladies came out and spent just an hour, maybe one and a half hours packing my few belongings. This time, we had everything laid out for packing, and it went very smoothly. The move was also uneventful, but it took longer than expected to load (in comparison to my first experience with Daryl Flood) since some larger items had trouble getting out of the old house it was in. Otherwise, it was another excellent move by Daryl Flood.

On the receiving end, Circle Moving and Storage in Long Beach, CA was the company that moved me in. On moving into my new apartment, one of the movers propped a foldable table up against a counter across from some mirrored sliding closet doors. I asked him if he thought it would hold, and he said, "it’s not moving". During the course of the move, we heard a crash and found that the table had slid into the mirror and cracked the bottom left corner.

The driver said they weren’t responsible since I watched them prop it up and didn’t complain. I pointed out that they propped it up and it was not in the location I had wanted the table to be set up. I wrote the damages down on the condition sign-off sheet, even though there wasn’t any damages to my property. I wanted to document it somewhere with the driver’s signature. The driver wasn’t too happy, but signed it anyways. It seemed like after the incident, the driver just wanted to get as far away from the problem as possible, and tried to rush me through the sign off process. I wanted something with his signature that documented what happened, but he kept insisting that I could just call the claims number. He was in quite a rush.

The Allied representative called me up less than an hour after the move and asked me how things went. I mentioned the cracked mirror, and promptly received a letter about their claims process in the mail less than a week later. The claim was handled very quickly and I actually received a little bit extra. They wanted to pay me off quickly and asked for an estimated cost of fixing the mirror. According to my apartment’s handbook it was $350 so that is what Allied paid me, but it actually only cost about $280 for me to have it fixed.

Overall, I got a very good impression of Allied Van Lines, and a mediocre impression of the Circle Moving drivers. They have a fairly good rating, so maybe I just happened on a bad driver that may have already had a few strikes on his record.

Diane

Re: **Two Allied Reviews: Daryl Flood (Houston), Circle Moving (Long Beach)

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks very much for taking the time to post these reviews, which I've added to the Superlist. Just a note that often things go better on company-paid moves than on moves paid for by individuals. That could account for the first move going better than the second. In general, the company-paid (account) moves are assigned to the better drivers.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”