San Diego to Columbus OH - Need help (2 estimates, etc)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
DK

Re: San Diego to Columbus OH - Need help (2 estimates, etc)

Postby DK » Fri May 16, 2003 7:04 pm

Well, ya'll,
I changed moving companies, thanks to some ideas from Michael. I feel very confident in the move and my rep. The dates are the same, only difference is approx $500 more. I went with Sullivan Moving (United).
They are on the ball!

I did buy independent insurance through Baker International to cover my goods and high value items separately... and my car is being transported by Dependable Auto Shippers (the same company who brought it safely to San Diego), so I'm all set to go! Just have to UPS some special boxes.

Whew....
DK

mmichael

Postby mmichael » Sat May 17, 2003 9:45 am

DK,
I really think that I would have been okay "to some degree" with my move had I been able to be there when the truck was weighed as that is where I primarily got screwed. I ran out of energy and time by midnight Easter Sunday to follow that truck and although I pursued everything else, I was able to avoid my goods being stored and for the most part destroyed, so just stay on top of everything and get names of who you are talking to during the move. I am in Pickerington so if you need assistance let me know!
Michele

DK

Postby DK » Sat May 17, 2003 10:58 am

mmichael,

Thanks for your offer to help. How very considerate of you! I think Pickerington isn't all that far from Arlington. How do you like it so far?

I am extremely confident that my move will go well with Sullivan/United, but the real experience will tell all. We start Monday morning, 5/19, so after all is said and done, I'll let everyone know.

For now,
>a BIG THANK YOU TO MICHAEL for all your personalized assistance!

>a BIG THANK YOU TO MOVINGSCAM.COM for being such a grand resource.

DK

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 5:54 pm

Ten "Last Minute Tips" that could prove indispensible:

1) VIDEO TAPE EVERYTHING as much as possible on moving day

2) Remember not to sign any document that has any blank lines on it whatsoever.... if you are forced to sign any document containing blank lines, write "BLANK WHEN SIGNED" in each blank line. Or, you can "X out" any blanks, using "/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\" or something similar indicating that the blank line is NOT to be filled in. If the mover gives you the slightest resistance at this, do not allow them to load your goods onto their truck.

3) Remember not to label any valuables as such on the outside of the box. (For example, under no circumstances should you write "DVDs" on a box full of DVDs).

4) If the truck shows up and it is a Budget, Ryder, etc. rental truck or if the truck has no permanent identifying company information on it (minimum of company name and DOT number painted on) then DO NOT allow them to load your goods onto their truck.

5) The company name and DOT number painted on the cab (tractor unit) of the truck MUST match the company name and DOT number painted on the trailer unit. If either does not match or is absent, do not allow them to load your goods onto their truck.

6) If the company name is not permently painted on, but is only a magnetic sign (we have even seen paper signs!) then do not allow them to load your goods onto their truck.

7) Ask to see the truck driver's CDL license and write down his name and license # (or get it on the video).

8) Insist on seeing ALL paperwork that you will be asked to sign, BEFORE allowing the movers to load ANYTHING onto the truck.

9) Make sure the weight ticket of the empty truck bears the following 4 federally required pieces of information:
a. Your Name and Shipment Number
b. The Company Name
c. The Identifying Information (license plate, etc.) of the truck.
d. The Tare, Gross and Net weights.
You must see the weight slip BEFORE anything is loaded onto the truck. In the event that any of the above 4 items are missing from the weight slip, FOLLOW THE TRUCK TO AN OFFICIAL WEIGH STATION and witness the truck being weighed. To do this you must make sure that the truck is already full of gas (otherwise you will get scammed for the weight of the gas as well, good for hundreds of pounds extra!) You will also need to find out ahead of time where the nearest official weigh station is to your house. (Easily available from your state Dept. of Transportation web site.)

10. Remember, it's not too late to move it yourself! (Sorry I had to get that in!) It's the only way to guarantee that you will not be scammed.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat May 17, 2003 8:08 pm

Guest,

Good tips. BUTTTTTTTTTTTT................... I would like to reiterate, that moving yoursels is not the only way to make sure you dont get scammed!!

Unless your moving locally, and use your own vehicle, or can afford to buy your own truck, renting a vehicle is NO SURE FIRE WAY YOU WONT BE SCAMMED.

Lets not forget that U-Haul, has been on Dateline and 20/20 in the past in regards to the the equipment that they rent to people.

And please before I get all the moving scams are gretaer then the renting scams, I realize this, but my point is, there are no sure fire ways of anyone not getting scammed, lied too, extorted, or stolen from, in this business or any other. Chances may be less, from one thing to the next, but lets not say its the end all of end alls.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Bigrigger

Postby Bigrigger » Sun May 18, 2003 12:22 am

Most trailers do not have the company DOT numbers on them. Just the tractor, or the cab of the stright truck. During the busy summer months many major van lines agents will rent trucks and trailers to handle the volume.

FYI

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 2:07 pm

"Guest" was me, sorry I forgot to sign in again.

-Tyrone

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:12 pm

I see a lot of replies here stating that Bekin's Guaranteed price will not hold up at destination. I used to be an estimator for both Bekins and for North American and just wanted to let you know Bekins price is guaranteed and no destination charges will apply. Guaranteed pricing was the only type of pricing I would give, because I didn't want any of my customers to have any surprises at their new home.
On your estimate there should be a fee for the guaranteed price. When I was in it was $49. This fee is your guarantee! When a move is performed, and a guaranteed price is given on a move where no destination charges apply, this money goes into a pool. Then when a move is performed and there are destination charges, the driver is paid from this pool of money. Hope this helps.

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:48 pm

Lee,

Not sure about your post but would definitely disagree with that non-sense. My father sold for Stevens Bekins and that $49 fee wasn't even heard of. If a driver had a shuttle or stairs or even long carries at dest., the customer would be charged for them.

$49 doesn't cover much for a shuttle, I find it very hard to believe that your "pool" would satisfy all of your drivers.

And what I have seen when an estimator always gives a guaranteed not to exceed estimate, plain and simple, it is the easiest to sell. I sell many non-binding shipments and have great confidence in every one that it will be within 10% up or down.

This thread is pretty old, I would like to hear how DK's move went.

DK, you out there???

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:45 am

Josh,

I heard from Sullivan Moving who kept me abreast as the move progressed, and its my understanding all went well.

I would like to hear from DK also.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”