Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ohioan

Re: *Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Postby Ohioan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks Bronxdoc. I will check out your previous posts. I am getting an estimate tonight from Chris Blank from Dahill. Moovers is booked up right now, but I am flexible so it might work out with them in the end. I was also setting up an estimate from Shea but they do not go to OH and the other I might contact is Maher, but I am not sure they go that way either. I will keep the site posted as I go through this move. I have always had my company move me and now that I am no longer with them I am on my own. I have to say that the contract movers, Graebel, who moved me to and from NM-NY was full of problems and property damage. They stored my stuff and a few boxes were wet and molded. I am just hoping to get my things in one piece this time.

Cheers,
N

Oakland-bound

Postby Oakland-bound » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am

Hoping to hear happy endings with Dahill... :?: I am just starting to research a move from the Bronx to Oakland, CA and Dahill looks promising based on this wonderful website.
moving again...

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:39 am

For people moving from NYC, just a note that you can also use a New Jersey mover. One that has excellent reviews here is University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway. Another one is Wade Odell Wade (United) in Midland Park. See the Superlist linked to below my name under "New Jersey." (There are several parts.)

Also, especially for people in the Bronx or Westchester, don't overlook Delancey Street Movers in Brewster, NY. They are an independent company similar to Moovers Inc. that would pick up and deliver your goods using the same truck and driver - no transfers. They have top-notch reviews. Again, see the Superlist under "New York City."

Small independent companies like Shea and Maher and All Star in Brooklyn will not normally go more than a few states away, although Maher and All Star go to Florida.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Ohioan

Postby Ohioan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks Dianne. I didn't think to use a Jersey firm, but I will check them out. I just finished with an estimate from Dahill (Chris Blank) and they came up with 4120lbs. for a one bedroom and a price of $2,973 dollars to go 520 miles to OH. On the estimate it states 4250lbs. It breaks down like this; there is a shuttle charge at this end ($707.00), a $250 deductible ($230.00) and the move itself ($2,035). I paid just a few hundred more to go to move from NM to NYC with Graebel less than 2 years ago so I'm a bit confused.

I thought he said it was a non-binding estimate but the bottom of the page states a "Total Binding Price Proposal" and he said if I wanted a BNTE estimate it would have to be padded a bit. Do all estimates and charges go down if the weight is less than quoted?

Is it better to go with a BNTE or a Binding Estimate if given the choice? Would it be cheaper to go with a long haul service like Broadway Express and let a local company do the loading at this end? The unloading is going to be easy since it is to a storage facility at ground level.

I will keep you posted and I appreciate all the comments.

Cheers

BronxDoc

Postby BronxDoc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi Everyone!
Sorry for the delay in writing. I have been busy studying for my medical board exam which I took yesterday... a 7 hour exam! Glad to get that over with!

So, here's where I left off:

BronxDoc wrote:
Thanks to BigLee's help today I found out details about my Dahill/Mayflower shipment. Big Lee did some investigating and found out that indeed it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow 7/11!!! And that the driver, James, is in the area already (Hayward, CA).

As a matter of fact, I just received a phone call from the driver. He assured me my belongings will be delivered tomorrow, but was unable to give an exact time. He has to drive down to Palo Alto first to do a pick-up in the morning... and then he'll head back up to SF in the afternoon. It sounds like he still has to arrange a shuttle as well since his truck will most likely not be able to be parked on our steep street.

The driver, James, called the next morning and said he hadn't gotten hold of a shuttle, but he was going to come to my apartment anyway and see if he could park the truck on my steep hill. He showed up late-morning and successfully parked the moving truck on our steep hill! He and his crew were very efficient and quick. He told me that our TV/media stand was broken beyond repair, and that he received it that way when he inventoried from the warehouse to his truck. He told me it wasn't worth taking upstairs to my apartment and that he would dump it somewhere for me. I was a little reluctant to do so, but he insisted that I wouldn't need it to get reimbursed.

I called my Dahill salesperson and asked him, he said that I needed to definitely keep it in case a Mayflower rep wanted to come out to look at it before reimbursing me. I asked the driver to go ahead and bring it up to the apartment, he seemed annoyed and kept telling me is was unnecessary, but I wanted to be safe than sorry.

Other than that, the rest of the move went well. The only other thing that was broken was my hand truck, but the driver admitted it was probably his own fault for using it to move boxes and offered to pay me out of pocket; I declined. Other than that nothing else was broken. I submitted a claim on-line for the TV/media stand, and I've already received a check in the mail. No one contacted me from Mayflower, they just sent the check. But for anyone who is moving, you really should keep the broken item, don't throw it away until you've either received a check or a rep comes out to see it.

The only other pending issue... I'm trying to get reimbursed for the cost of the shuttle, since a shuttle wasn't used on the delivery end. Although I received a binding estimate, the shuttle cost is listed under "Extra Labor". Dahill assured me that I should get refunded that amount. The Mayflower rep seemed to think that I shouldn't because it's a binding estimate, but he didn't have my invoice at the time (it hadn't been submitted by the driver yet) and asked me to call back in a few days.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Denise

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:03 pm

I'm glad you got your things in a timely fashion, Denise - that is, within the delivery spread that you were given. I'll add your update to the Superlist. Good luck on your board results!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Update: NY to CA with Dahill/Mayflower

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Denise I am surprised the driver didn't tell you that Unigroup has a policy where the driver can settle claims up to $300 on the spot.

In the event there is a claim, you should always retain the item. If the carrier does full replacement, they do have salvage rights over the item damaged.

I will check with the legal dept on Monday, but if you had a fully binding (not binding or less), I think the shuttle should be refundable if not needed. don't quote me on that.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”