IN RESPONSE TO Dahill / Mayflower move from NYC to Denver

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Fred0844

Re: IN RESPONSE TO Dahill / Mayflower move from NYC to Denver

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:29 am

good ones are getting older and are getting tired of the moving hypocracy.

Isn't this true of the entire industry?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:05 am

the moving hypocracy.

I don't understand. Michael and Fred, what is "the moving hypocrisy," exactly? What is hypocritical about it? Please explain.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:11 am

I'd be curious exactly what that means too......Yesterday, I had a visit from a driver/owner, Tommy Livingston of Livingston United, in Columbus GA. He is the owner/President of the company, and they are pretty good sized, not a mom and pop by any means, but he gets in a truck and hits the road sometimes just to get away from it all. The true bussman's holiday.

This has been discussed too many times for me to repeat it, but there is no question in my mind that one of the hardest jobs on Earth that does not involve gunplay is to be a HHG moving van driver. The best ones are not perfect, and the perfect ones don't last long.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:32 am

Does Livingston focus on military moves, Archie? That's what an entry in the Superlist indicates. Are they OK for household, in your opinion?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:41 am

They are fine for any kind of move....Military is big, due to Ft Benning being next door, but Columbus is a decent sized town, they do civilian work too. They are an old firm, probably 3rd generation, formerly Allied agent, joined Unitee/Mayflower 5or 6 years ago.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 pm

How do they compare to McCarley United, in your opinion, regarding their suitability for household moves? The poster seemed to like McCarley's phone answerer better than Livingston's.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:28 pm

McCarley's owner ( Henry Douglas) is my cousin in law...his late father in law married my aunt, who was my dad's sister. And Mr. McCarley Sr was the man that convinced my dad to join the United Van Lines sytem in 1952. I would say that McCarley and/or Livingston would be fine........I have no qualms about either......

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:54 pm

the moving hypocrisy

We "sell".............quality service,................. the best drivers, ......customer care etc. etc.
In reality we sell "lowest price."
You cannot buy a Porche for the price of a Volkswagon. Yet of all, that is what we sell.
Upper management wants to see numbers. not the number of quality shipments but high bookings, hauling revenue, and a full warehouse.
Sales staff sell to meet quotas and if they have to max out the discount, so be it. "I sold the order, operations has to service it."
Operations " I need drivers but I can't find anyone who wants to do the job" so if it walks and talks and knows how to spell "sofa" he is hired.
Driver, must use "Quality Labour"....from the agent.....in uniform. But the agent charges double for the labour the driver could get "off the lot".
It becomes a viscious circle and in the end the customer looses.
Price the move to be profitable while providing the quality service the customer deserves. If the customer wants you to provide quality but pay the price that Joe's Moving & Cartage offers. Say thank you but no thank you and go to another customer. You will do less moves but they will be all quality moves.

Can I get off my soapbox now?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Yeah, book less moves and get fired too!!
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:24 pm

We will price ourselves into extinction.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:21 am

Fred, you are wise beyond your years, but my understanding was that the movers in Canuckia were smarter than us hicks in the US, they have lower discounts and don't have as much govt red tape to fool with? Correct me if thats wrong.....

30 years ago, customers got 2-3 estimates max, now they get 6-7, reducing your chances to win....they had us do the packing most of the time, now they do their own 90% of the time, reducing our chance to make a profit on packing...nowadays, if they need storage, they do mini stg, 99% of the time, reducing our chance to make a profit on storage. and last but not least, they used to get no discount, and nowadays they can get a 70% discount,or more, if they manage their 6-7 moving quotes properly, reducing our chance to make a profit.

weem

Postby weem » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:10 pm

If you didn't show a profit the three years prior to this-------well-------------------------

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:52 pm

We are hugely profitable...some years we make almost a nickel on the dollar, in a good year.

weem

Postby weem » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 pm

And before deregulation the profit margin was about half that.-------These ain't new problems.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Fred, I'm with you. Price each move with a decent profit in it, or don't do the move. It doesn't make sense to work your crews 65 hours a week to make the same $$ as working 45 hours a week. Volume will never get it done. Sooner or later you will run out of employees, equipment, etc. It's the old dog chasing its tail. He'll never catch it. Why run your people/equipment to death, to make a mini-profit, when you can run your people/equipment @ a decent markup & have the employees actually enjoy coming to work? Oooops, there goes my soapbox. 8)

Return to “Open Community”