Blue Chip Mayflower vs. Bekins Moving Solutions Inc.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
milo

Blue Chip Mayflower vs. Bekins Moving Solutions Inc.

Postby milo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Well, I've been looking around on this site and decided to join. I have to make a decision soon (by tomorrow) between Bekins and Mayflower. Here in LA, the Bekins company is Bekins Moving Solutions Inc., and the agent for Mayflower is Blue Chip.
So far, I havn't read anything bad about Blue Chip Mayflower. They have a top rating from the BBB and I'm calling the FMCSA tomorrow to see about complaints. It also looks like a license number of some sort is on the estimator's busines card.
Now, this Bekins is more mysterious. It appears to be a new company, and the BBB only has a listing in San Diego, not in Buena Park, which is the address on the business card.
But here's the thing. Bekins estimated my stuff at 4000 lbs, with a 110 count, and $29.02 per 100 lbs. Blue Chip said it was 5472 and 145 pieces, with $33.60 per 100 lbs. The cost for $50,000 worth of insurance is about the same, 220 bucks. So the Blue Chip guy told me the Bekins guy was lowballing, but because California has a "not to exceed" rule, it looks like Bekins will still be cheaper. But the Blue Chip guy also said that Bekins would get more money out of me because of the stuff that hadn't been counted. It all comes down to the actual weight, which won't be known until moving day.
On the personal level, the Blue Chip guy has the confidence of a really honest guy-- or a skilled criminal. The Bekins guy is old, with many years experience, and I have to say, it seemed like he had some sort of reaction when he said, "Yeah, give me a call, and I'll get some-- good guys to move you." That pause before good, and the look on his face, worried me.
So anyway, this whole thing is making me dizzy, and I must decide tomorrow because this move is ocurring just before the Labor Day weekend.
Please advise... Thanks!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Blue Chip Mayflower vs. Bekins Moving Solutions Inc.

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm

It sounds like you're moving locally, or within California.

What was the name of the person from Blue Chip? Their number one guy is Jack Dooty, and he's pretty good. Blue Chip used to be in Hollywood, but moved to their other location in Hawthorne. Not necessarily a good part of town, but as far as I know, they still provide quality service.

Don't know anything about Bekins Moving Solutions Inc. I know not too far back there was a problem with some Bekins agents in the LA area.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Don't use that Bekins company. Believe me, "I'll get some . . . good guys to move you" is not anything that a reputable sales rep would ever say. It sounds as if he's going to hire them off the street, for pete's sake! Plus, we've heard bad things about a group of certain BekinsMS companies in CA and TX that declared bankruptcy a few years ago and stiffed its creditors and employees. See the note at the beginning of the Superlist listings for Southern CA. The Superlist is linked to under my name below. Although the relevant BekinsMS website has been taken down, I'm pretty sure that the Buena Park and El Cajon locations were among the problem ones.

Blue Chip may have had some problems lately, according to what I've heard (see Superlist), but Jack Doody is reportedly a good guy and in my opinion it would be far superior to that Bekins in performance. You can't be sure that they would actually hold to the low estimate, either.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 am

Gee, when my friends call me to move them, I always tell them, " I'll get some good guys to move you" I didn't realize that was not the right thing to say. Where in the rights and responsibility booklet does it say that we are not allowed to say that? Certainly there must be some government regulation that prevents us from promising a good crew.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 am

It is strange that now Bekins is not on the LA BBB website. However, when they were listed, they had an F rating. I do not know why they were removed.

Blue Chip is a reputable company with a good reputation.

The issue with Bekins lowballing is that the driver could dispute the weight and be very unhappy with the move if you do not agree to pay more. Their low price is also a reflection of the quality of work that they perform.

Since you mentioned purchasing valuation, I have to think your goods are worth something to you. In all businesses, you get what you pay for. Blue Chip has the odds on giving you a better move with less damages.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 am

Just as an FYI to all - there is a new Bekins agency that opened up in Buena Park and is located about one mile south of Suddath's La Mirada office (the two cities kind of envelop one another in that area). I have driven by the location a few times, and it is legit - although I seem to remember that they may specialize more in O&I type moves than HHG moves. I will drive by the location tonight and let you all know what I find.

I won't speak to the "Yeah, give me a call, and I'll get some-- good guys to move you" quote - except to say I was cracking up at the thought that a sales rep would actually use that line as a selling point...?
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:19 am

Yes, Archie, put on your reading glasses, will you? The rep's line was not "I'll get some good guys to move you" but "I'll get some [pregnant pause] . . . good guys to move you." Plus the OP said he had a strange look on his face as he searched for words. [Now I suppose you'll start riffing on pregnancy . . . ]

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:31 am

Hahaha, you make me chuckle sometimes...thanks....I guess it was a HTBT situation. I was never good at pregnant pauses.

milo

Postby milo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Wow, thanks everybody. The internet is a wonderful thing! My feeling is that the Bekins outfit is probably legit, but for some reason has a hard time getting movers, or at least good ones. I'm going with Blue Chip. I'll let you know what happens.
-Milo

Return to “Open Community”