^In the middle of a nightmare with Allied Van Lines- Need help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jillieray

^In the middle of a nightmare with Allied Van Lines- Need help!

Postby jillieray » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:02 pm

This is long, so first of all, thank you for taking the time to read it!!

We are in the middle of a nightmare-ish move from TN to MD and I could really use some objective thoughts and help.

We were scheduled for delivery on Fri or Saturday, August 3-4, 2007.
On Friday, August 3, 2007, we were informed by our driver that his truck had broken down in North Carolina, and that he had no idea when the truck would be fixed.
After I contacted customer service, the search began for a new truck that could pick up our things and continue the shipment.

The driver left to his own devices and poor judgment traveled to the location of the new truck and returned to NC prepared to transfer the shipment. However, he did not communicate his plans with the body shop, and upon his return, he discovered it was closed for the weekend. That meant we would have to wait until Monday, August 6, 2007, for him to begin to head up to MD. Annoying, but at least the end was in sight.

On Monday, the truck broke down again, just 30 minutes from the body shop. This was not conveyed to us until 5:30PM that day, although dispatch was informed of the situation earlier that morning.
Things get a little muddy from this point, but an irrational comedy of errors ensued, with no one at Allied being able to guarantee when or even if our shipment would be made. We were told parts would be needed, and it was unclear when those truck parts would be received. Meanwhile, the driver, left North Carolina and took another job in NY.

Today the shipment is eight days late, and Allied tells us that it is optimistic to think we will receive our things on Monday, August 13, 2007—nine days late.
We are living in an empty house with air mattresses and have been told that they will reimburse us for $350 of household items we need.

We have also since discovered from the body shop that this particular truck has had three separate injector failures, not including the most recent one, and that the entire engine was rebuilt in February.

Allied is being horrible to work with and have shown no compassion at all. We are basically being at the whim of the driver- whenever he decides to get back to the shop.

I have spent hours on the phone to no avail and am at a loss.
Is this a fight worth fighting? We have already paid in full on our credit card. Should I go through my cc company?
I'm concerned about ever seeing a check to cover our expenses and am very concerned about the condition of our belongings- it's been 100+ degrees and we have some very valuable things that have been sitting in a truck for too long.

I so appreciate any thoughts you have.
TIA!
Jill

jillieray

Re: In the middle of a nightmare with Allied Van Lines- Need help!

Postby jillieray » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:48 pm

I'd like to follow up with one thing:

Upon reading many stories here, it seems as though my experience is not the worst ever.
However, the fact that the truck has been in and out of body shops and was known to be problematic seems important. Maybe Allied is less at fault than the sub-contractor (Bay Side Moving Company in NY) ?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:44 pm

IF the move is being moved on an Allied bill of lading, it doesn't matter which agency is handling the hauling.

Lots of trucks have ongoing repairs, so you can't hold it against them that they had major work done in February.

Your valuation terms will hold despite whatever heat damage there may be. Personally, in 11 years in this business, the only damage I've ever come across related to heat was a plastic mattress that crumpled up. It was paid out 100%.

I suggest you continue working with Allied customer service for full compensation for whatever monies you had to lay out for the delay.

I certainly hope you get your goods soon! I know it's extrememly frustrating to be delayed, and the carrier should offset your expenses.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:00 pm

Injectors are a difficult little part. Let me tell you a story.......One of my US fleet tractor trailers left Toronto heading for New York City. Around Kingston ON. (125 miles down the road) engine failure. No. 1 injector tip had broken off, fell into the cylinder and destroyed it. Tractor was towed back to Toronto to the CAT engine dealer (best in Canada). 10 days and
$ 9000 the tractor is back on the road. ( I did rent a tractor to complete the trip).
On his next trip out, around Kingston (again), the No.2 injector fails. Not a major rebuild but it would take 4 days and replaced injectors 2 thru 6. (they only have six). Another truck rental and $ 6000.
So this engine has a rebuild and 6 new injectors $ 15,000 plus rental costs. GUESS WHAT!!!!!
Next trip he makes it to Waterdown NY, (just S. of Kingston) and the engine dies. It is Friday night so cannot get it worked on, rent another tractor and complete the run. Find out that the shop in Kingston that replaced the remaining injectors didn't tighten down #5. Within one month that truck cost over $ 20,000 and was down for almost the full month.

Recently had one of my local trucks in for its injectors (learned my lesson replaced all 6) 3 days down because they had to come in from Chicago. There were not enough injectors to be had amongst all the dealers in S. Ontario.

It is posssible that your truck has broken down in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is just as frustrating (and expensive) on our side.

weem

Postby weem » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:08 pm

what is the estimated weight of your shipment? This may become extremely important.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Is the company Bay SIDE Allied in NY or Bay SHORE Allied in NY? If the latter, is it this company (from the Superlist)?
:alert:--Bay Shore Storage Warehouse, Inc. (Allied) in Hauppauge.
BE CAUTIOUS about using this company. Do not confuse it with Bay Shore Allied in Newark, DE. This one has low quality scores - an average of 4.15 over the past 12 months ("meets standards") as of 2/06:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1625#51625
"carefulamy" posted that she saw some Bay Shore guys loading a truck in her neighborhood and they looked incompetent and unprofessional:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3512#13512
"ajh" said that they gave her a lowball Nonbinding estimate on a move to MO:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1669 (interstate)
According to "PMueller," Bay Shore in Hauppauge does a very large number of shipments each year.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Injector failure is a problem that has plagued the entire trucking industry (not just Allied Van Lines, Bay Side Moving, or your driver), since biodiesel fuel began being added to regular diesel fuel in many states last year. Many trucking companies had to rebuild several engines before they realized how big the problem really is.

In some states, such as Minnesota, the mixture is required by law. Last winter entire school systems were such down for days because of clogged fuel filters and injector failure in their fleet of buses. Administrators were afraid to have the kids exposed to the extreme cold if the engine conked out in the middle of a rural route and called school until the problems were resolved.

Biodiesel is an excellent lubricant and when blended with petroleum diesel, even in small quantities, it can reduce engine wear and extend the life of the engine and its components. Biodiesel also has a higher cetane rating than petroleum diesel, which can improve starting and decrease smoke emissions.

Unfortunately, biodiesel is also a mild solvent. At higher concentrations, this fuel will clean out the fuel system. In extreme cases, the sediment flushed out by the biodiesel can cause repeated fuel injector failure. If a driver unknowingly fills his tanks with fuel containing a higher level blend (greater than B20) fuel hoses and pump seals can also fail which can create both a fire and explosion. Some drivers have reported having to change their fuel filters every 100-250 miles to prevent injector failure.

Since you indicated that driver was going to have to transfer your HHG, it sounds like he’s driving a straight truck and not a tractor trailer. If that’s the case, it probably is a good idea that he was shut down before a fire occurred.

Because this problem occurs in all makes of trucks, many shops can’t stock enough parts. First they have to locate them and then wait until they’re delivered. They’re probably not picking on just you as Fred’s account suggests.

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:36 am

Thank you all so much.

Diane, you are right-- it's Bay SHORE Allied in NY. So, what does that mean if Aliied chose to sub-contract to them?

I had a Guaranteed Price based on 11,500Lbs of 6,800$.
They wanted a certified check upon delivery, but I put in on my cc instead (hoping for more protection) Because of that the payment cleared 9 days before the actual delivery...

What I really want to know from all of you wonderful experts, is:
Do I have anything to fight? Does the company really have 30 days to get me my shipment, even though the guaranteed date has passed by nine days?

It's just been so tough- I have a 1.5 year old, 3.5 year old, an 85 pound dog and am 6 months pregnant. (God, I sound crazy!)
My husband has started work in this chaos and I've been going a bit insane with the kids in an empty house!! I was just hoping for some more help from them. Even a cookie basket or bouquet would have been so appreciated (and cheap for them)
They know my situation and I just expected a little more compassion...

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 am

jillieray wrote:Diane, you are right-- it's Bay SHORE Allied in NY. So, what does that mean if Aliied chose to sub-contract to them?

As the Superlist indicates, Bay Shore in Hauppage - if that's the one you're dealing with, and not the one in Newark, DE - has low quality scores from the van line and people posting here have said negative things about it. However, it is a big hauler for Allied. Allied dispatch would have put your shipment with a driver who had room in his truck and was nearby. I don't think it's a bad thing that dispatch put your shipment with a driver from that company - maybe they had no other choice. There aren't enough van line drivers to handle shipments during the summer months. However, if you've experienced poor communication by the driver, that might fit with the low quality scores that his company has with the van line.

Which Allied agent in TN actually booked the move? I'm asking this not to assign blame but just so I know how to describe your experience in the future.
I had a Guaranteed Price based on 11,500Lbs of 6,800$.

The relatively large size of your shipment means that you're almost certain to receive monetary compensation for the delay from the van line, although I know the money isn't nearly enough to compensate you for the hassle.
What I really want to know from all of you wonderful experts, is:
Do I have anything to fight? Does the company really have 30 days to get me my shipment, even though the guaranteed date has passed by nine days?

I'm sorry to say this, but there's really nothing you can do at this point. Polite calls to Allied at intervals reminding them that you are still waiting for delivery would be a good idea, in my opinion, but the van line is within its legal rights. You can't get anything back from your credit card company because the service you contracted for is being performed. Technically, the van line only has to deliver your items with "reasonable dispatch" (whatever that means). Although that sounds open-ended, posts on MovingScam show that most delayed shipments arrive within one week after the last day of the delivery spread. Yours obviously won't, but there has been only one other shipment reported on here that arrived beyond that time period this summer, and it was a much smaller shipment than yours. (Smaller shipments are more prone to long delays in the summer.) I doubt VERY much that you will have to wait 30 days.
I was just hoping for some more help from them. Even a cookie basket or bouquet would have been so appreciated (and cheap for them) They know my situation and I just expected a little more compassion...

Remember that the van line too is unhappy to have your shipment on the truck for so long, because that is preventing them from getting revenue from other shipments. They are probably also being bombarded with calls from other frustrated customers. If they seem unconcerned with your plight, I think part of it is that whoever you are talking to at the van line is also under major stress and is shutting down emotionally to deal with it.

That said, we have noticed before that people in the van line system are unlikely to express compassion and my personal opinion is that it's because they are afraid that to express compassion would be to accept responsibility for the situation. The system doesn't work well during the summer months because there aren't enough drivers for all the shipments being booked. If - on top of the driver shortage - trucks break down, then the system is pushed well beyond capacity. People in the van line system know this because it happens every summer but rarely do they admit that they know it. You can see how if sales reps told customers what could happen, they wouldn't book any moves.

Bottom line:- I'm sure that you WILL get your things and you won't have to wait 30 days for them. You WILL get modest monetary compensation for the delay from the van line. People in the industry have also posted here that your things will NOT be damaged by the heat. I think if you keep in mind that for monetary reasons the van line ALSO wants to get your things delivered and off that truck, and that the people you are dealing with at the van line are under a lot of stress, it may help you to get through this. But I sympathize VERY much with what you're going through.

The only way that people can really avoid this type of thing is to move with a rental truck, a good freight company like ABF and Broadway Express, or a self-hauler with stellar reviews like Moovers Inc. and Delancey Street Movers. Mechanical breakdowns can occur in those situations, too, but at least they are more under the customer's and the company's control and can be rectified faster.

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 am

Diane-
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

Here we are again, another day, another breakdown. This time outside of Richmond, VA.
I honestly thought the driver was kidding when he called. Now they are thinking Wed (hopefully)

I booked through Main St. Transfers in Chattanooga, TN.

What do you consider fair compensation at this point?

I am in disbelief that that there is such little protection for the consumer in all of this.

Thanks again,
Jill

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:57 am

Hi again, Jill,

I understand completely where you're coming from. I just hope that people reading about your saga will look long and hard at the last paragraph of my post above. I know that Moovers (for example) has had mechanical breakdowns, too, but when trucks are well maintained this type of thing shouldn't happen, in my opinion. I am thinking that your goods may be in a straight truck where the cab is joined to the body because otherwise they would/should have sent a new tractor by now and attached it to the trailer.

As for compensation, people in the industry have told me privately that the usual "cap" is $400 in situations like yours. If and when Allied makes you an offer, you can accept it if it's less than $400 or ask for more. Is this fair compensation for having been stuck waiting for days with two toddlers in 100-degree weather and no beds, toys, or other equipment? Obviously not, but you won't get more than that, in my opinion.

Were you satisfied with the TN company and sales rep that booked the move? Did the same driver you're dealing with now pick up the shipment at your residence in TN? Who did he use to help load?

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks Again...

$400 total, or a day??!!!! If it's total, what a joke!
I wish I'd just taken them up on the hotel in retrospect, but the idea of being in a hotel room with the kids and dog seemed pretty bad.

The drivers in TN were fine. They packed & loaded- different than the driver now who came in from NY. They can't help me now, but were fine to deal with...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I just want this over!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 pm

With regard to compensation for delay, here are the choices that were recently offered to someone else by a United Van Lines company (Planes). He had a four-day delay beyond the delivery spread:
. . . the three choices I was given today were: 1) their original proposal- hotel and 50% of the food, 2) $50 per day by cash (so likely about $200 from Aug 11-15), and 3) $100 cash to purchase air mattress and comforter, and 50% of food. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5267#95267

Since your delay is already going to be at least 10 days, at this point you might get $500 I suppose. It wouldn't hurt to ask for more than $400. Yes, that's total, not per day.

Strange - your shipment apparently started out on a tractor-trailer and then may have been transferred to a different truck. When it arrives, try to find out from the driver what actually happened.

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I wish there were more I could do, but guess I just have to give up and hope for the best.
I appreciated your help (though I wish you had better news for me!!!)

I will post an update when this is finally resolved.

clavyw

Postby clavyw » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Jillieray-
I am in the same predicament with United Vanlines, booked through Hughes Relocation outside Philly.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14547

We didn't have any mechanical problems, our stuff was bumped from a truck and has sat their 2+weeks. Hopefully it gets picked up today to begin its travels to Chicago 5 days past the window.

As for compensation, customer service at United is giving us $125/day past the window. They couldn't give me a formula on how they came up with that, but expressed to me that it comes from a very small slush fund. Though a hotel/ 50% food would total about $250-300 staying at Holiday Inn in our neighborhood. That just covers the new work clothes, air matress, folding chairs, etc we had to buy, but doesn't cover any of the distress and hassle we had to go through.
The best thing to do is put a review on here, and let people choose whether to use the companies we had issues with. I know I will post when I have all my possessions back.
Good Luck.

Return to “Open Community”