^In the middle of a nightmare with Allied Van Lines- Need help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jillieray

Re: In the middle of a nightmare with Allied Van Lines- Need help!

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks for posting, Clay.
I'm sorry you are going through this too. I just can't get over the fact that we have no rights. It seems crazy.
Not only have we had to buy the necessary items for the house, but clothes, toys, books etc. that we don't need at all.
I guess I'll get a good tax deduction at least when I donate them.

I hope you get your things soon!!!

toro

Postby toro » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Jillieray,

I am the person that Diane mentioned in her above post, whose stuff is arriving four-day late (with United Van Lines.)
For your info - I was initially offered $50/day for compensation, but after negotiation with the customer service of United Van Lines, they raised it to $75/day.
Hope your stuff is arriving soon! I know the feeling of being stuck in an empty apartment...and I am single so I can still endure, but in your situation, it must be so hard!

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks, Toro.
The hard part has been the kids, for sure. At least they have gotten a few new toys out of the deal. They are much easier to please than I am :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:50 pm

Jill, I'm sorry that I apparently gave you wrong info about $400 being some kind of compensation cap. In retrospect I think the industry person who told me that must have been talking about shipments smaller than the minimum poundage eligible for compensation (usually about 3500 pounds, depending on the van line). (The shipment in question was very small.) By all means, try to negotiate a larger amount.

Clavyw, since you plan to post a review of your move (please do), I just want to clarify that unless Hughes United was going to self-haul your shipment using its own truck and driver, it's almost certainly the van line and not Hughes that is responsible for the delay. As I told Jill, there simply aren't enough drivers to service all the shipments that have been booked and registered with the van lines. In particular, there seems to be a major bottleneck in the NYC area, judging from what has been posted here.

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Diane. They finally decided to rent a new truck which they will load everything into. They are telling us it will be here tomorrow morning, but I'll believe it when I see it. I have turned into such a pessimist!!!

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:29 pm

when trucks are well maintained this type of thing shouldn't happen, in my opinion.

Let's see..............serviced every 5,000 miles ...........safety every 6 months and it still happens.

aubie2

Postby aubie2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Fred0844 wrote:
when trucks are well maintained this type of thing shouldn't happen, in my opinion.

Let's see..............serviced every 5,000 miles ...........safety every 6 months and it still happens.

Anything mechanical can break. Sometimes Murphy decides to ride shotgun in a truck. :lol:

jillieray

Postby jillieray » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:48 pm

Breaking down is one thing, it's the fact that it sat in a shop for a week, only to break down again and AGAIN. I'm not unreasonable, but feel like this is a bit much.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:48 pm

Murphy is the mechanic.

I am sure that the hauler is just as frustrated. You should have been around me that month when my tractor seemed to have a gremlin.

Luckily it was a tractor and I could do a rental quickly but it was extremely frustrating

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 am

Jill,

Someone just posted that North American Van Lines offered him $125/day for every day of delay beyond the last day of the spread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14592

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Diane wrote:Jill,

Someone just posted that North American Van Lines offered him $125/day for every day of delay beyond the last day of the spread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14592

Jill-

that someone was me. The $125 I was quoted is part of the contract that NAVL has with my company - although I am paying for the move (its for my convenience, not the company's), my company's contract still covers me.

I feel your pain, and am almost embarrassed now to complain - I don't have 2 toddlers, just 2 dogs, who are more easily entertained. But despite that difference, I'm totally behind you - I think this industry is just broke.

For others following our nightmares - does it even do any good to complain? It seems to me, after reading a couple threads, that in the summer time these companies just take every client they can without regard to their practical capacity or ability to perform. We can post all the reviews we want here, but it's meaningless - NAVL has been rated one of the best, and I'm sure that some moves go well, but I don't care about them, I care about me. It just seems like a big crapshoot as to whether or not you happen to be one of the "lucky" ones who get their stuff on time. Broken down trucks should NOT cause this kind of problem. There should be another truck waiting to take over for breakdowns which SHOULD be anticipated. This industry reminds me too much of the airline industry which is also broken. There needs to be more consequences for non-performance. At least the airlines compensate you when THEY overbook.

I'm just totally disappointed in the whole process.

Jill - I hope you get your stuff before me.

Carl
Carl

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:45 am

While it may not trigger any major overhauls, voicing your displeasure is a good thing. For one, the company may take a look at these complaints and review some procedures, possibly not book so many small loads during next year's busy season ( :roll: ). Or, it may just let the HQ know that a few certain customers are unhappy. Big companies like this don't get big by leaving tons of angry customers in their wakes. Most customers are happy, and HQ may want to see what can be done to make more people happy next season.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:46 am

According to the computer, Clay is being delivered today. The truck just loaded it Monday in Philly, so that driver probably broke some laws in order to get that far in such a short time, I hope somebody gives him credit for doing his best in the situation he didn't contribute to.
And yes parts of the trucking industry and airline industry are broken. Theres a good reason too, it's called deregulation, and its the child of Jimmy Carter. I'll bet if you went into an Air Traffic Controllers office during a peak time, you would never fly again...that is one of the most pressure filled jobs there is, many of those boys crack up by the time they have worked there 10-15 years. And don't laugh, but a person in the operations dept of a large mover faces many of the same pressures....he may have dozens of moves to deal with, but every customer thinks their move is the only one that matters, and the world revolves around them.

Diane

Re: ^In the middle of a nightmare with Allied Van Lines- Need help!

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:34 am

Wow - a LOT of good information is emerging on this thread, including that Carl's $125/day compensation was linked to the fact that his company has an account with NAVL. Jill, I doubt that you will be able to negotiate such a high payment rate.

I'm keeping track of the late deliveries this summer, hence the ^ before the titles of certain threads . . . Most delays reported here recently have been with United and Mayflower, but as I mentioned before, they do the lion's share of household moves in the U.S. so it's not surprising.

Regarding small shipments being especially vulnerable to delay, that's true, but most of those reported on here haven't been all that small. Also, I know that some responsible van line agents turn down small interstate bookings during the summer to avoid having this kind of delay situation arise. They set a temporary minimum of (say) 4000 pounds for such bookings.

Archie also reminds us that the driver - except maybe Jill's driver - is typically blameless and that customers should try to avoid venting their wrath on the poor guy when their stuff finally arrives. Many if not most drivers have serious health problems. They also get injured on the job. They use up their bodies serving the public.

Re-posted from Household Drivers.com:
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - Truck drivers - the people who deliver our food, cars and clothing - have one of the most dangerous jobs in America - accounting for nearly 15 percent of U.S. work-related deaths. And that's only counting the accidents.

They are also more at risk than average Americans for a number of health problems. Obesity is rampant. Many don't bother to wear seatbelts because their stomachs get in the way. About one in four have sleep apnea. Half of them smoke.

The latest research in an upcoming report drives home those points and may help influence government regulations for truck drivers' health, which are under review. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is considering tightening its rules for conditions including diabetes and high blood pressure. And many companies are stepping up their own efforts at improving health.

"It takes a while to undo years and years and years of unhealthy behavior," said Christie Cullinan of the American Trucking Associations, which represents about 2,000 companies and suppliers. "But I think companies are having to look at this because of the skyrocketing health care costs and related workers compensation costs."

Drivers are tested every two years to maintain their licenses, which are issued by states. Waivers can be granted, but generally commercial drivers can't be licensed if they have severe high blood pressure or severe heart conditions. Other aspects of drivers' health, like weight and smoking, aren't regulated.

"They can't say, 'You can't be obese' and they can't force you to stop smoking,"' said Gerald P. Krueger, a psychologist who compiled the latest research by the Transportation Research Board. "The government shouldn't regulate that. But we've been trying to educate people to the linkage between being a healthy person and a safe driver."

Krueger said trucking companies need to do more to foster better health among their employees, whether it's to reduce health care costs or hang onto employees in an industry where turnover is high and shortages growing.

It's not clear how many companies are making efforts. The trucking associations group says it is planning a survey. The group estimates there are 1.3 million long-haul drivers nationwide. - http://householddrivers.com/PHP-Nuke/mo ... opic&t=544

weem

Postby weem » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:55 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:According to the computer, Clay is being delivered today. The truck just loaded it Monday in Philly, so that driver probably broke some laws in order to get that far in such a short time, I hope somebody gives him credit for doing his best in the situation he didn't contribute to.
And yes parts of the trucking industry and airline industry are broken. Theres a good reason too, it's called deregulation, and its the child of Jimmy Carter. I'll bet if you went into an Air Traffic Controllers office during a peak time, you would never fly again...that is one of the most pressure filled jobs there is, many of those boys crack up by the time they have worked there 10-15 years. And don't laugh, but a person in the operations dept of a large mover faces many of the same pressures....he may have dozens of moves to deal with, but every customer thinks their move is the only one that matters, and the world revolves around them.

:roll: Give the driver credit for probably breaking safety laws?????
Couldn't agree more though on the deregulation mess.

Return to “Open Community”