A scam in the making?

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
bazaar

A scam in the making?

Postby bazaar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 am

OK not sure if this is going to be a scam or not.
I'm getting quotes up the wazzoo since going online ( I know, big mistake)
One company who contacted us (Global oceanfreight) quoted for US to UK move, but they had the wrong destination, I informed them of this and they come back with a quote which is $1450 more.
Their original destination is only 100 miles away AND further inland. I e-mailed them and awaiting their explanation, so I'll let you all know what goes on. (Most likely wont use them after this)
I have now contacted movers from this site and reading advise, so hopefully forewarned is forearmed,
Thanks for a good site. keep up the good fight.

farrah7031

Re: A scam in the making?

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:58 am

Throw out ALL estimates from companies that will not come and do an IN HOME ESTIMATE.

bazaar

Postby bazaar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks Farrah
Yep I was looking at throwing out the more obvious ones.
I just had another call from another company, I asked them if they would do in home, they said no need because I asked for container. So that was the end of our conversation.
Also, she was Indian. I'm not racist, but it really grips my Sh** that companies are using Indian call centers, so I usually tell them to learn to speak the language and then phone from the US. They never do. lol

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:33 pm

Perhaps it was a person of Indian decent working at the office in FL?

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:45 pm

MusicMom wrote:Perhaps it was a person of Indian decent working at the office in FL?

And I think I saw a pig flying past my window.
Carl

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:28 am

Really? You don't think people move from India to here and get jobs?

It's the large companies with lots of calls that outsource their call centers, not a local, small service company. It annoys me that jobs are going overseas, but some of the people I talk to when my DSL is down have a better grasp of English and manners than many kids I've taught (and no, I don't teach English).

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:29 am

MusicMom wrote:Really? You don't think people move from India to here and get jobs?

It's the large companies with lots of calls that outsource their call centers, not a local, small service company. It annoys me that jobs are going overseas, but some of the people I talk to when my DSL is down have a better grasp of English and manners than many kids I've taught (and no, I don't teach English).

It was my crude attempt at a joke, I don't mean to offend anyone. Outsourcing is fine, assuming that the individuals answering the phone can speak English - I've had far too many BAD experiences with Indian call centers where I've had to call back again and again to get someone I can understand. I'm not racist, either - if I went to India, I would attempt to use Hindi. The way I feel about the move industry right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced their calls to Zimbabwe and the phone agents spoke Swahili.
Carl

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:54 am

Carl,

Educated people in India all speak English, and they speak it better than the average person born in the U.S. does - they just have British accents. They also speak Hindi and probably at least one regional Indian language. Their language skills really put most of us born here to shame.

In my opinion, the main problem with those people is that some (such as the ones working for the airlines) haven't been well trained in what they're supposed to be doing. Often they have to call a supervisor for help, which I admit is very annoying. But their language skills aren't at fault.

BTW I find it amusing that they always say something like "My name is Trent" or "My name is Michelle" when it's obvious from their accents that they are Indian.

Like MM, I really doubt that "bazaar" got a person at a call center in India when calling a moving company. More likely the person had an Israeli accent. :wink:
Last edited by Diane on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 am

I admire anyone that can speak more than 1 language, but the majority of the folks I've talked to in Indian have such a heavy accent, I cannot understand them - and when all I get from them is "I'm sorry, I'm sorry", I get the feeling that they don't understand me, either.

If you speak 3 languages, you're tri-lingual

If you speak 2 languages, you're bi-lingual

If you speak 1 language, you're American.
Carl

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:06 am

:lol: Do you yourself have a Joisey accent? (Moderators can see where people are posting from.) Which NAVL agent did you use, by the way?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:19 am

I'm glad to hear you were joking. One thing that bugs me about typed post is that Smilies just don't do inflections very well. :wink:

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:28 am

Diane wrote::lol: Do you yourself have a Joisey accent? (Moderators can see where people are posting from.) Which NAVL agent did you use, by the way?

I didn't mean to imply that I got an Indian for my calls - only other stuff. I was dealing with my company's agent - A-1 Freeman in Dallas.
Carl

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:47 am

Yes, I see now that I got you mixed up with "bazaar" - I corrected it. Sorry for the error. What van line agent (I guess it was in Philadelphia) loaded your things on the truck, or was it an A-1 Freeman truck? I just want to keep things straight for the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cfuglein

Postby cfuglein » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 am

Diane wrote:Yes, I see now that I got you mixed up with "bazaar" - I corrected it. Sorry for the error. What van line agent (I guess it was in Philadelphia) loaded your things on the truck, or was it an A-1 Freeman truck? I just want to keep things straight for the Superlist.

It was Wayne Moving & Storage. I was actually quite pleased with the packing and loading crews, but when they leave the "moving" part of the moving, it kinda doesn't really matter.
Carl

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:09 am

but when they leave the "moving" part of the moving, it kinda doesn't really matter.

Not so, Carl. For those that engage in DITY moves and need additional help at origin to pack and load, or destination to unload, it's good to know who the good companies might be.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Report A Scam”