Upper West Side Manhattan Move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dmikes

Upper West Side Manhattan Move

Postby dmikes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Anyone have recommendations for a move from UWS Manhattan to Washington DC (Capitol Hill)? I have arranged for an estimate from Big John's, which seems to have a good rep. What about Liberty Moving (a United agent)? Already crossed Molloy Bros off the list ... they only come to Manhattan a couple days a week.
Thanks,
Dave

farrah7031

Re: Upper West Side Manhattan Move

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Here's what we have for reviews in NYC:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1631#61631

I would contact Moovers, Delancey Street, Shea Moving, or Dahill (United).

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 pm

I think Big John's is good although a few people have said it is pricey. Another possibility might be University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, which has excellent reviews here. One of its sales reps, Scott Micalizzi, routinely goes to Manhattan to do estimates (I think he lives in Brooklyn). Also Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn. Independent companies to consider would include All Star Moving in Brooklyn, Shea Moving in Queens, Delancey Street Movers in Brewster, NY, and even Maher Van Lines on Long Island. All have many good reviews here. Check out the Superlist linked to below my name for these and other companies' contact information. I think you can probably do better than Liberty.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dmikes

Postby dmikes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanx for the good info. I left a msg with Delancey for an estimate and am checking with Shea, although from their Web site it looks like they might not go as far as WDC.
I also arranged for an estimate from Ken's Moving and Storage. They sounded pushy on the phone. Any idea about reputation? I couldn't find them on the FMCSA Web site.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Ken's been doing interstate moves since 1988:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

I'm not sure that we've heard of them, but they only have 1 complaint at the BBB:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/busi ... =1&id=7315

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:36 pm

I just added them to the Superlist a few days ago when someone posted a very good review of them (but from 2002, and only to NJ). Personally I wouldn't use anybody who sounded pushy - who needs it? Shea has been venturing a little farther lately and I think they might go to DC, but All Star certainly would. They have their own review thread and I know the owner and office staff there - good, honest people.

dmikes

Postby dmikes » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:53 am

Will check with All Star. Shea called back and said they don't often go to DC so the move would be more expensive with them. Thanks again for advice.

dmikes

Postby dmikes » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Four estimates have arrived, more or less close in price, but the quotes are higher than I had hoped to pay. Some folks have told me that an NJ company would be cheaper, but I called one NJ firm and their price was 12-20 percent higher without insurance. This was a credible company to which I'd been referred by a reputable NYC agent. Any counsel on whether it's worth it to continue calling NJ companies -- or are they going to be more expensive because of the tractor/trailer and shuttle issues? Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:23 pm

Reputable NJ companies would probably be in about the same range as the quotes you have already. Did you contact Maher Van Lines (listed under Long Island on the Superlist)? They've given people some pretty decent quotes in the past. In fact, it might be worth it to call all the independent companies listed under Long Island (except for The Moving Doctor). One of them might be able to combine your shipment with someone else's, giving you a lower price.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dmikes

Postby dmikes » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks, Diane. I heard from a second NJ company, which gave me a ballpark estimate almost 30 percent higher than the NYC companies'. I will check with Maher ... it seems like the Long Island companies offer more competitive prices than NJ firms. Could be the cost of doing business is higher in NJ -- I've heard that a lot in other industries.

Return to “Open Community”