I Have Not Even Moved Yet and Already It's Starting!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lukenlaurafan77

I Have Not Even Moved Yet and Already It's Starting!

Postby lukenlaurafan77 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 am

I have posted here before about moving from MD to CO at the end of sept and have gotten some wonderful advice about how to start looking for movers and what to do, how to go about it, etc. I contacted 4 people for in-home estimates that came highly recommended from this website. I know md especially is very shady and I have been scammed before so I am very hesitent but I have no choice here. I contacted Moyer and Sons who showed up and were fabulous. They came on time and were professional and friendly. I also contacted Ace Relocation. Again, on time and fabulous.

Ace Worldwide I would NOT recommend. Rick Disanti was the guy who came and all he did was show me his business card. Did NOT leave the moving manuals usually all companies leave with you that every other company gives you when you move and get estimates. He had me sign a piece of paper stating he'd be there to do the estimate and then I never heard from him again. Promised me he'd call me with the estimate numbers Friday(next day) or Monday and never did. Tuesday I called him finally in the afternoon and he said he'd email me and he never did. I never heard back from him and this company comes highly recommended? Now my 4th moving estimate, Von Paris Moving and Storage, was supposed to come at 9:30 am this morning and it's now after 10:00 am with NO phone call and here I sit and wait. I've called David Cannon, the guy doing the moving quote with no answers to either his cell or his office. His office offers an excuse of "traffic" possibly. He's not going to show here. So now I have 2 quotes and 1 no show and 1 who shows with no quote. Where do I go from here? I am so scared to trust anyone with my stuff now.

Diane

Re: I Have Not Even Moved Yet and Already It's Starting!

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:27 am

Hi - I'll add your remarks about Ace Worldwide in Baltimore to our Superlist linked to below my name. (Actually the company isn't even mentioned there as yet - it's not "highly recommended.") There is a photo of Rick DiSanti on www.aceworldwide.com under the Baltimore location.

About how many pounds are you moving, according to the two companies you have estimates from, and what was the dollar amount of those estimates? Sometimes it's difficult to get moving companies interested in small shipments. Of the two estimates you have, Ace Relo might be the safer choice because the company is part of a national network of moving companies that could help if something went wrong while Moyer is an independent.

I don't think you should be alarmed about anything that has happened. Sure, it's not great that one company didn't send an estimate and one rep was late or a no-show, but it's not that unusual and definitely not a scam situation.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MovingtoMilford

Postby MovingtoMilford » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:09 pm

We are also moving from MD, but to NEPA, on 9/10/07. I actually met with Karl from Von Paris this morning at 9:30 a.m. for an estimate, and have someone from Matthews Movers coming later this afternoon. I met with Jason from Moyer & Sons yesterday, but have yet to receive his estimate (it was supposed to be emailed last night or this morning). Finally, I met with Coleman on Saturday (sub for Allied).

So far, I have had our estimated weight quoted at 9,000 lbs (Coleman); , 7,000 lbs. (Moyer) and 7600 lbs (Von Paris). We have to sit down and review the details of all 4 GNTE estimates before we decide who to go with. So far, I am leaning toward Moyer & Sons. I'm not sure why, as I don't have their estimate yet, but I really like the way Jason handled the estimate so am hopeful their bid will be reasonable.

This whole thing has been quite and eye-opening experience, and I doubt my "moving education" is over with quite yet. Good luck and ask questions if you don't understand something. I'm questioning the heck out of these estimators, ha ha. :wink:

lukenlaurafan77

Postby lukenlaurafan77 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks. I had no idea that I wasn't "worth their time" if I had a small load. I live in a 3 story, 4 bedroom townhouse. I'm a single mom with 3 small children and doing this by myself. Last time I was the one who posted I got ROYALLY scammed by Garrett moving adn storage and am NOT looking for that to happen again. I am trying to be smart this time. David from Von Paris did call back and apologize, saying he booked me for next wed and that was his error and he rescheduled me for this afternoon at 3:30 pm. Because of this I am giving him the benefit of the doubt to come and give me an estimate but have to be honest that I am hesitant about using their company now. Here are the 2 quotes I've received.

From Moyer and Sons: ($5, 984) based on 8,000lbs I believe they'd said. plus full protection insurance(which I DO want) for $35,000 at $298.00

Ace Relocation was $1000 cheaper at $4,980.32 and told me it was 8500 lbs and that I'd get $50,000 full value insurance with no deductable. They'd also throw in 25 free boxes as well.

So far I'm leaning towards Ace. I had no idea Rick Desanti was NO recommended. Thought he was. Thanks for the info. Is Ace ok? I honestly don't think I have 8000 lbs and wonder where they come up with that estimate but guess they know what they're doing here?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi - Ace Worldwide in Baltimore isn't either recommended or NOT recommended here. We just haven't had anybody post about it - or Rick DiSanti - before now. In other words, it hasn't been mentioned before on MovingScam.com, although I seem to recall that other offices of the company have been.

Your shipment is NOT small. I was thinking that it might be in the neighborhood of 2500 pounds, which could explain why a rep might not have gotten too excited about it. If Rick DiSanti didn't get back to you, I would tend to attribute it more to disorganization than to lack of interest. Or, if he knew that you were getting an estimate from another Atlas agent (Ace Relo), he may have decided not to try to compete. It's a bit of a mystery.

I agree with you that Ace Relo is your best choice so far. Your two estimates are very close in weight, which is a good sign and means that they are probably quite accurate. However, if you have a Nonbinding estimate from Ace you need to try to get a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate from them. In the Atlas system this is called a Total Price Guarantee estimate with Guaranteed Rate Reduction (TPG with GRR for short). Those words and/or initials should appear somewhere on your estimate. They have been doing the free full value replacement thing for some time and in my opinion it's a great deal.

Moyer will probably have to charge you more than Ace because as an independent they may not be able to get backhaul (a return load going back to the East Coast). If they have to come back empty, they have to figure that into the cost, whereas Ace Relo will be able to get shipments from Atlas dispatch. Also, Moyer may not be able to give you a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate because they will need a certain amount of money to make the move worthwhile for them to do.

What happened to you when you were scammed with Garrett, and when was it? I can add your report to my list of dubious companies in order to warn people.
Last edited by Diane on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 pm

To correct Diane. Atlas does not offer the Total Price Guarantee nor the GRR that is Allied. Atlas offers the APP, Assured Price Protection.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks, Michael. I was asleep at the wheel. :oops: What you want is an APP (Assured Price Protection) quote from the Atlas agent. The terminology for a GNTE from Von Paris would be an Option C quote.

lukenlaurafan77

Postby lukenlaurafan77 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for all the info Diane and everyone else. It actually turned out to be a blessing that Rick Disanti never got back to me then. I actually thought he was recommended but my mistake; I read wrong. Sorry bout that :oops: I did have David from Von Paris come out today and I was VERY impressed with him. He apologized and was very nice and up front with me. They seem reputable. Are they? Said he'd get back to me tomorrow with a quote. I'm leaning towards Ace though, or him, possibly. As far as Garrett goes...I moved from MD to Fl with my then 8 month old daughter 3 or so yrs ago and did NOT get a binding quote. They did not give me full insurance coverage, rather only 60 cents per lb. They told me my stuff would arrive in a certain time and it wound up taking roughly 6 weeks and stuff was damaged and missing. They hiked the price of the move up MUCH higher then they originally said and insisted on cash or money order only at time of delivery. Very hard company to get ahold of. MANY excuses and very rude. Yet I hear they're STILL operating. REALLY ticks me off. That's why I want to play it safe this time. I read on here about the mom with 2 toddlers who's pregnant with her 3rd and some of her stuff, including her video tapes are missing and my heart BROKE for her. That stuff is SO precious. Garrett stole my daughter's pictures when they moved me. Thankfully I was able to get copies but video is another story. Movers have your life in their hands, literally.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 am

Yes, Von Paris is VERY reputable. One of the pros mentioned that they believed VP is the oldest mover in the country. I learned to ride my bike in their parking lot (which doesn't speak for their reputation, only that they've been at that location forEVER).

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:00 am

There's a company with this name and contact info that's on the "avoid" part of the Superlist:

Garrett Moving & Storage Inc
8705 Bollman Place Ste 100A
Savage, MD 20763-9775
(301) 595-5353

Is this the company that scammed you? If so, I'll add your comments there.

Regardless of which company you and "Moving to Milford" choose, I'm going to add your positive remarks about Moyer to the Superlist. Moyer would make a lot of sense for "Moving to Milford's" short-distance move, I think.

Return to “Open Community”