Changing Your Latitude, Birmingham, Alabama: a great experience

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ralphhhh

Changing Your Latitude, Birmingham, Alabama: a great experience

Postby ralphhhh » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:54 pm

We've just moved from Birmingham to Arlington, Virginia, and had a terrific experience with Changes in Latitude, based in Birmingham. (I believe they're changing their name to "Changing Your Latitude" because they got a letter from Jimmy Buffett's lawyer -- really.)

Anyway, after a bad experience last time we didn't want to use a van line, but rather preferred to use a smaller local company with more personal service. That's exactly what we got. Changes in Latitude has I believe nine medium-size trucks at present, and we needed two of them (both of which ended up filled to capacity).

The owner of the business, Brad Stephens, came out to do the estimate within a couple of days of our initial call, and sent us a written quote promptly. They were the least expensive of the three quotes we got, and considerably less expensive than the quote we got from the Wheaton agent (we did get a quote from one van line). They charged us the quoted price, although we subsequently added some packing services for which we expected to be charged extra, and of course we were.

They delivered empty cartons with no delivery charge. A couple of guys came out a few days before the move to "pre-pack" some fragile items. They showed up on time every time.

The guys who did the move could not have been better. They were careful, caring individuals who were funny and good company as well. They packed everything -- and we have a LOT of fragile stuff -- with the utmost care, and were at pains not to damage anything. They handled all the boxes and furniture with caution and secured everything inside the trucks. They worked quickly but not in rushed fashion, and never gave us the impression they were in a hurry to get going.

The trucks themselves were to all appearances in great shape, with new tires.

I could go on, but to make a long story short, I'm very pleased and would highly recommend them

Diane

Re: **Changes in Latitude, Birmingham, Alabama: a great experience

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks for this good review. I looked over the company's website at www.changesinlatitude.com and thought it was refreshingly down-to-earth. I'll add the company to our Superlist under Alabama. However, I couldn't find an interstate (MC) license number for this company, either under "Changes in Latitude" or under what the website suggests might have been its former name, "Stephens Transfer, Inc." There is a Changes in Latitude listed near Pensacola, FL (legal name S&B Transfer, Inc.) but the MC license for that company is inactive. If you see this, ask the owner to tell you what his MC license is so we can look it up on www.safersys.org. As of 8/07, Changes in Latitude had 3 BBB complaints over the past 36 months.

Besides packing unlike items together (which you described on your other thread), what was bad about your prior move with a van line agent, and which agent was it and when?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:20 am

Not that this makes much difference, but I'm pretty sure I've seen their trucks driving through Birmingham.

I called and left a message for their DOT or MC#.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:45 am

I spoke with the company and their DOT# is 716202. They are listed under Changing Your Latitude. They were familiar with our site and said it's great that we're around.

I told him we were adding them to our Superlist and that this favorable review would be added.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks, Farrah. The only blemish I see is that on July 20, 2006, one of their drivers was stopped in GA and he was under 21 and drugs and alcohol were involved somehow. Also he didn't have logs for the past 7 days. The other violations were relatively minor, but this one incident drove up their driver-out-of-service rating.

They are in the AL corporations database under their new name, but they need to change their website (dated 2007) to be consistent.

I'm going to change the topic title to reflect their new name.

ralphhhh

Re: Changing Your Latitude, Birmingham, Alabama: a great experience

Postby ralphhhh » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks for your quick followup! It was a pleasure to deal with Changing Your Latitude / Changes in Latitude, and it's always a pleasure to report a good experience.

You'd asked about our prior bad experience, Diane. It was in June 2004 with Joe Moholland Moving, the Northern Virginia agent for Mayflower (don't know if they're still around).
-- Packing was done carelessly, with stuff tossed into unlabeled or mislabeled boxes randomly, despite our best efforts to run around and mark everything.
-- We were told we'd have a van to ourselves, but when the van showed up the driver said he had to stop to unload first in North Carolina. Cost us a day -- not the end of the world, but annoying.
-- We almost lost some irreplaceable stuff. If I hadn't insisted on the driver rechecking for missing items before he left, we would never have seen them again.
-- There was breakage the movers had to know about, because when you picked up the boxes you could hear the broken glass rattling around inside.
-- It took my wife innumerable phone calls and endless aggravation to get the payment for the breakage sorted out.

That's why this time we wanted to deal with a smaller company where you could get to know the people you were working with and there was quality control at every step of the process.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks, Ralph - I added this review, too, to the Superlist. Out of curiosity, how many pounds did you move this time with CYL and how much did it cost? I assume it was a full pack.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ralphhhh

Postby ralphhhh » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:59 pm

Diane, I don't actually know the exact weight we moved, but it would have been in the region of 20,000 lbs. They did about half the packing, including all the fragile stuff, and had a crate built for one sculpture. They charged $10,600, including an extra $350 worth of insurance at our request -- less than what we paid Mayflower three years earlier.

Return to “Open Community”